Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ahberden

Home Theatre System: What To Get?

Looking for a HTS for my new home...really at a loss and dunno what brand to get... :notti:

Have a budget of maximum 1k...

Whats the best my budget can get with the following requirements...

1. 5.1 speaker system

2. Rear speakers to be wall mounted

3. Front speakers cannot be too big

4. With AV Reciever

5. Can KTV??

Please help! TIA!:notti:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Looking for a HTS for my new home...really at a loss and dunno what brand to get... :)

Have a budget of maximum 1k...

Whats the best my budget can get with the following requirements...

1. 5.1 speaker system

2. Rear speakers to be wall mounted

3. Front speakers cannot be too big

4. With AV Reciever

5. Can KTV??

Please help! TIA!:)

Go KEC located at adelphi. Go for the onkyo sr605 (around $700) with genie 5.1 speakers (1.5k). Look for clarence for advise and audition. He very fiendly.

I suggest get a used receiver (with HDMI), and buy a better speakers instead. 1k difficult cant do much, except those HTib. I would prefer to go a good stereo first (2.1), then add speakers for 5.1 when got budget.

http://www.xtremeplace.com (local forum for AV stuff, u can get more help there.)

Go KEC located at adelphi. Go for the onkyo sr605 (around $700) with genie 5.1 speakers (1.5k). Look for clarence for advise and audition. He very fiendly.

I suggest get a used receiver (with HDMI), and buy a better speakers instead. 1k difficult cant do much, except those HTib. I would prefer to go a good stereo first (2.1), then add speakers for 5.1 when got budget.

http://www.xtremeplace.com (local forum for AV stuff, u can get more help there.)

Agreed... 1K is tough... check out the AV equipment sale in Xtremeplace and echoloft...

Unless you're not particular abt the hdmi stuff / sound quality then go for something mainstream like Pioneer or Sony.

:)

Thanks for the info!

Agreed... 1K is tough... check out the AV equipment sale in Xtremeplace and echoloft...

Unless you're not particular abt the hdmi stuff / sound quality then go for something mainstream like Pioneer or Sony.

:)

Frankly speaking im not very particular about the hdmi stuff and sound quality. Any mainstream models that meets my budget and requirements?

TIA!

Thanks for the info!

Frankly speaking im not very particular about the hdmi stuff and sound quality. Any mainstream models that meets my budget and requirements?

TIA!

Do note that HDMI will most likely become the standard of connectivity (think USB) thus u might consider it for future proof. HDMI reduces **** lot of cables. Pay KEC a visit cos they have different packages to cater for different budgets. I am no way related to them, just sharing my findings cos im getting my HT also in this coming march.

Remember to check out their $80 package which includes delivery, cable and a few home visits to advise, tune, install, connect, troubleshoot etc. Remember to do it before your false ceilings/L-boxes are up cos they need to deliver the cables to you, if u r doing a new reno. What i think it is very worth it cos the cable costs already quite alot if you purchase them outside yourself, and they are giving better cables, not those transparent type (which will turn sticky i a year time) or those red/blue type.

For 1k.

Onkyo sr605 (around $700).

2x micro pod speakers (around $130 a piece) http://www.podspeakers.com/Products/Micropod_SE.aspx

Stretch abit and get 5 x micro pod for 5.1. Cute and nice, but i have not auditioned them at KEC. U can buy lower range speakers for your rear surround if need to cut cost.

Cheers and happy shopping.

Thanks for the info!

TIA!

This is one of the latest from Sony - the smallness of the speakers (golf ball size) caught my attention... looks good but i don't vouch for the sound / PQ!

Sony DVD Home Theatre System

Check out the 5.1 from Pioneer too!

One of the shops offered Onkyo TX-SR304 for $388... saying its a offer price...

Plus a Jamo 5.1 set with subwoofer for a total of $968...

Dun feel very good about the shop... say the Onkyo model TX-SR304 is a 2007-2008 model.... and Onkyo giving offer cos of its 60th anniversary...

One of the shops offered Onkyo TX-SR304 for $388... saying its a offer price...

Plus a Jamo 5.1 set with subwoofer for a total of $968...

Dun feel very good about the shop... say the Onkyo model TX-SR304 is a 2007-2008 model.... and Onkyo giving offer cos of its 60th anniversary...

hmm.... sounds like you're now considering stretching your budget, with a bit more $, you have definitely more options!

Here's a recent thread on HTS....

!!

The speaker + woofer + av receiver total cost is 968... still within my budget right... hehe

If u are not so particular abt sound quality then I would suggest u to get those HTiB (Eg Pionner or Sonny).

Don forget abt the power consumption it will be higher than those HTiB so save utilities $$$ in long run no point spend $$$ in Amp & Spks whereas u are not so particular in sound.

S$1k will not be able to get you an AVR with speakers for a basic 5.1 setup unless these are pre-owned.

even if u up the ante to S$2k or S$3k, this budget will not be able to allow you to use the HT for Karaoke purposes as the features are totally different not to mention the high probability to damage the speakers.

if u are after looks more then Sound Quality, go for the HTiB setup.....if you are after Sound Quality, stay as far as you can from HTiB : )

so you have the decide what you want first.....also please do not forget to factor in $$ for wires and speaker stands/mounts. these typically take around 10% to 15% of your total hardware cost (conservative)

I would recommend you to perhaps relook at increasing your budget for your Home Theater System.

I understand that everybody has their own budget and constraints. However ... for home system ... go cheap on cables, wires, they will be your weakest link. And all these will be installed inside your wall already.

I went with Onkyo and got the 7.1 channel. Yeah, very few output actually supports 7.1. However, it will be very difficult for me to re-run my cables all over again for additional 2 speakers in the future. There may be unslightly cables / casing which will spoil the whole flow of the house.

I will also recommend you to at least look at something with HDMI. Do not have to be incredibly hi-end stuff. Just that soon, almost all devices will be pushing out their best via HDMI ... and it would be sucky if you just bought something that cannot support HDMI.

strongly recommended this .. Pioneer HTZ-363DVD. 5.1speaker..the +++ point is its downfire woofer..impact is good

cost $499 at Best Denki

see my wordings in blue below

1. 5.1 speaker system - yes

2. Rear speakers to be wall mounted - yes

3. Front speakers cannot be too big - v small. same size as surround speaker

4. With AV Reciever - what is AV receiver ah?

5. Can KTV?? - cant..

Harlows, would recommend that you goto KEC to take a look. I went there with my wife, brought along our own music cds and movies dvds and tried it on 3 different systems. They are veri nice and patient with us, plug and unplug all the 3 systems to let us try. Dennis is a good man and sincere sales person. We probably got the best service from them for a audio shop. In the end, we bought a Tannoy Arena HTS from them. Do go down and listen for yourself.

Cheers, :deal:

Harlows, would recommend that you goto KEC to take a look. I went there with my wife, brought along our own music cds and movies dvds and tried it on 3 different systems. They are veri nice and patient with us, plug and unplug all the 3 systems to let us try. Dennis is a good man and sincere sales person. We probably got the best service from them for a audio shop. In the end, we bought a Tannoy Arena HTS from them. Do go down and listen for yourself.

Cheers, :)

What amp did Dennis recommended for your Tannoy? Its a **** good system. Suggest you change your sub to Velodyne CHT. That will give your movies a run for your money!

Cheers

Vince