Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Chunky Monkey

Electric Rice Cooker

I was surprised not to find a thread discussing electric rice cookers. Please direct me to an existing thread, if there indeed is one.

I have a Tiger (made in Japan) electric rice cooker that takes about 45 min to cook white rice. And apparently 45 min is the norm for electric rice cookers with computerised controls.

The old fashioned rice cookers only take 25 min to cook white rice.

I am curious what brand of rice cookers you are using, and why? And do you know of any electric rice cookers that take 15 - 20 min to cook white rice?

By the way, there is a new electric rice cooker that cooks by induction from Zojirushi & Panasoic (both made in Japan) . These rice cookers weigh a ton! And they are the most expensive for a rice cooker, that I have ever seen. $500 - 600 range. Here's something for you to read about http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/rice_cookers.html

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I was looking for such a topic too .. surprised on you posting it last year??

No one cooks rice?

I'm using some old fashion one, takes 20 min or less to cook white rice.

Recently looking at Panasonic, Toshiba, Zojirushi. Though they are nice, but they take 45mins minimum to cook rice, that's too long!

No one cooks rice?

Recently looking at Panasonic, Toshiba, Zojirushi. Though they are nice, but they take 45mins minimum to cook rice, that's too long!

Just bought Zojirushi small rice cooker from Isetan promotion, can buy at $89 (usual $179) when spent $50 in Isetan ... my first purchase for my new home :D

Edited by wtc

No one cooks rice?

To get nice fluffy rice, you will need to soak the grains before cooking it. Those cooker that took 45 mins to cook white rice include the soaking time. Choose one with a quick cook function. When you are in a hurry or hungry, can use the quick cook function.

I am also using the "old school" Zojirushi rice cooker. I was then tossing between Tiger and Zojirushi.

my mother swear by toshiba rice cooker.. she say the steel material inside the rice cooker very solid.. haha i dont know what she is talking about ..but anyway i got the same toshiba rice cooker as well..haa only 1 size smaller =p

I am also using the "old school" Zojirushi rice cooker. I was then tossing between Tiger and Zojirushi.

Tiger => Must have "MADE IN JAPAN", to be really from Japan. I 'swear' by this brand.

Tried cooking brown rice on many types of rice cookers, TIGER is the most fluffy... best.

Zojirushi => mostly made outside japan.

Go Taka basement to hear the aunty explain the difference between the 2 brands to you.

TiGer is the only one with newer sensor technology.

Cheers.

my mother swear by toshiba rice cooker.. she say the steel material inside the rice cooker very solid.. haha i dont know what she is talking about ..but anyway i got the same toshiba rice cooker as well..haa only 1 size smaller =p

Yeah, I have one too, the pot inside is made with solid thick steel material and you can feel the weight, compare this to any other brand of rice cook, you will know the difference, even low grade rice aftercook still turn out OK. Probably the heat conduct very well thats why rice always turnout good and fluffy.

Cheers.