Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Stereobox

Kitchen Sink Installation..

hi guys!

we've just purchased a beautiful Blanco Blancometra 9 (Anthracite) kitchen sink (wash basin) and wondering about the installation..

can this particular model be installed both 'overlay' and 'inset'? my parents advised us to install it 'inset' (to prevent water spillage), but i'm wondering if it can be done even if my table-top is solid surface.

have yet to be advised from our contractor (still holiday mood!) but would like to check out with you guys first.

thanks so much in advance!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

If you under mount your Blanco sink you may be unable to change the kitchen tap and/or the soap dispenser in future if the item needs to be replaced / repaired.

However, most mixer taps or dispensers rarely give problems if they are properly mounted, hence the issue of replacement may not arise.

In my case, I had to replace my mixer tap 2 years ago -- after it had given me 10 years of good service -- and was able to D-I-Y because my kitchen sink was over-mounted.

Undermounting looks nice and neat, but for practical reasons, I intend to over-mount my Blancometra 9 sink for the resale flat I bought recently.

how come cannot change?

my sink was under mounted first then the tap installed leh !!

IMG_0008-1.jpg

Wow, applefreak, seems you got a good plumber with dexterous fingers !

It is difficult to tighten the nuts on the underside in such a confined space, and likewise, if you need to remove the tap / dispenser in future, it is difficult to reach the nut from the underside. But not impossible, as you have shown with yr nice picture.

I like my sink to be under-mounted too and asked william of hoe kee what he thought. he agreed with me that it is difficult to change taps / dispenser after the under-mounting.

kudos to your plumber ! :notti:

btw, what is that metallic piece above your nice sink?

sorry to hi-jack this thread, but my undermount sink looks like this.. can see the silicon.. is this normal? :) thanks!

2255100586_992d8ca998_o.jpg

not to worry -- as long as you wipe the silicone seam dry after you use the sink, it should be okay.

silicone is applied to top-mounted sinks to seal and prevent water seepage; problem is, algal mould tends to grow around the silicone seam after some time unless the seam is wiped clean to keep the edge dry. with under-mounted sinks algal growth is less of a problem because the silicon seal is usually hidden out of sight or not applied at all.

depending on the model and design, some people don't apply silicone to their under-mounted sinks (or if they do, they apply it thinly under the top edging) as it is less likely for water to 'seep' or flow into the cabinet below.

silicone is easy to apply and remove. if you don't like the way your plumber applied the silicone seal on your sink you could ask him to redo it.

btw, you have a pretty sink ! :furious:

Edited by BlueFly

not to worry -- as long as you wipe the silicone seam dry after you use the sink, it should be okay.

silicone is applied to top-mounted sinks to seal and prevent water seepage; problem is, algal mould tends to grow around the silicone seam after some time unless the seam is wiped clean to keep the edge dry. with under-mounted sinks algal growth is less of a problem because the silicon seal is usually hidden out of sight or not applied at all.

depending on the model and design, some people don't apply silicone to their under-mounted sinks (or if they do, they apply it thinly under the top edging) as it is less likely for water to 'seep' or flow into the cabinet below.

silicone is easy to apply and remove. if you don't like the way your plumber applied the silicone seal on your sink you could ask him to redo it.

btw, you have a pretty sink ! :bleah:

that is enlightening.. thanks for the explanation :rolleyes: I just find it a bit off coz can see the silicone while other undermount sink I see has no visible silicone.. I just thought maybe the pictures are not close up so can't see properly...

thanks! :sport-smiley-004:

What a neat idea for a kitchen organizer ! What will they think of next?

Cool ! :sport-smiley-004:

hehehe fell in love head over heels the first time i set my eyes on it

not cheap but worth every cent i paid :rolleyes::bleah:

applefreak, bebe_she...you guys have beautiful kitchen sinks! certainly an inspiration to us =)

thanks bluefly for sharing your insights! wonder if you have a picture of how an over-mounted Blanco looks like?

still deciding between the two..

StereoBox,

I would advised you to check with your supplier whom you bought the sink from. Ask them if it would be better to undermount or top mount. To my understanding, for your case, 90% should be TOP MOUNT.

stereobox and me using the same sink

metra9 from hoe kee :deal:

the only blanco sink that's affordable, at least for me :P

Edited by applefreak

i have a question too...

my new condo unit had a kitchen sink provided but i do not like the material & size so considering to change it...

the existing sink is 800 x 460 and the cabinet below it is 870 x 560.

existing marble top opening not so sure...

can i replace the existing sink with a 860 x 500 one?