Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sokeai

Same Surname

Hi Mr Chong,

I have heard many people quoting Chinese beliefs that couples with the same surname & dialect group cannot get married? What if the former applies but not blood related?

Would like to seek your opinion from feng shui point of view regarding this issue, many thanks :yamseng:

Edited by sokeai

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi Mr Chong,

I have heard many people quoting Chinese beliefs that couples with the same surname & dialect group cannot get married? What if the former applies but not blood related?

Would like to seek your opinion from feng shui point of view regarding this issue, many thanks :good:

If there is really such a belief, are you gog to follow it? Following chinese tradition/belief is one thing, but to have them getting in the way of true happiness?

Hi Mr Chong,

Would like to seek your opinion from feng shui point of view regarding this issue, many thanks :good:

Hello

The reason usually associated to the possibility of ancestral relation, " the great, great grandfather's......".

As such, there may be the possibility of deformed children. Like one of the forumer has said, checking of DNA is an alternative way.

For Feng Shui, you got to check on those things surrounding outside your house. If you are a lady, stand centre facing out of your main door and check what's in the your left interior ofthe house. All these will give an indication of the possibilities.

Also, an Yi jing master will be able to foretell such a possibility.

Hi Mr Chong,

Would like to seek your opinion from feng shui point of view regarding this issue, many thanks :yamseng:

My mum is a good example too....my Grandmum die die also dun allow her to married the same surname guy....Cos scared will produce abnormal kids...

Hmmm....dunno how true it is...bt seems like nowadays seldom ppl chap liao...

My kolig going to get married to a same surname guy too...

Hello

The reason usually associated to the possibility of ancestral relation, " the great, great grandfather's......".

As such, there may be the possibility of deformed children. Like one of the forumer has said, checking of DNA is an alternative way.

For Feng Shui, you got to check on those things surrounding outside your house. If you are a lady, stand centre facing out of your main door and check what's in the your left interior ofthe house. All these will give an indication of the possibilities.

Also, an Yi jing master will be able to foretell such a possibility.

Hi Mr Chong,

Thanks for your reply. Yup, i did heard people suggesting to check on the DNA issue. On the left of the house, is the storeroom. Does it symbolize anything?

Thanks in advance.

My mum is a good example too....my Grandmum die die also dun allow her to married the same surname guy....Cos scared will produce abnormal kids...

Hmmm....dunno how true it is...bt seems like nowadays seldom ppl chap liao...

My kolig going to get married to a same surname guy too...

Heh, my parents isn't strongly against it, just that my dad did mentioned something like " i'm surprised that he has the same surname & dialect as us, perhaps it is the "in" in younger generation *shrug* " that kind of thing lol :sport-smiley-004:

The rationale of not marrying the same surname is actually comes with a scientific theory.

This practice also dissuades the motivation of incest in olden days.

One theory is that the observance of the taboo would lower the incidence of congenital birth defects caused by inbreeding.

On the other hand, modern day anthropologists reject this explanation for two reasons. First, inbreeding does not directly lead to congenital birth defects per se; it leads to an increase in the frequency of homozygotes. A homozygote encoding a congenital birth defect will produce children with birth defects, but homozygotes that do not encode for congenital birth defects will decrease the number of carriers in a population.

The following statistics were lifted off the net:

The cause of 40-60% of congenital physical anomalies (birth defects) in humans is unknown. These are referred to as sporadic birth defects, a term that implies an unknown cause, random occurrence regardless of maternal living conditions, and a low recurrence risk for future children.

For 20-25% of anomalies there seems to be a "multifactorial" cause, meaning a complex interaction of multiple minor genetic abnormalities with environmental risk factors. Another 10-13% of anomalies have a purely environmental cause (e.g. infections, illness, or drug abuse in the mother).

Only 12-25% of anomalies have a purely genetic cause. Of these, the majority are chromosomal abnormalities

I do not believe that a DNA test would be of any help. Seek out a doctor and tell him your concerns I believe he will be able to assist you and at the same time advise you on your concerns and any relevent medical tests if possible.

Edited by Phantom

Thanks for your reply. Yup, i did heard people suggesting to check on the DNA issue. On the left of the house, is the storeroom. Does it symbolize anything?

Hello

When you stand inside the house and face the main door (some distance away), on your left is supposed to be your boyfriend/partner/opposite sex/ love life (those not married), a storeroom indicates obstacles. Look inside the store, check for any presence of discarded lamps, candles or anything that is wet/damp. If there isn't, then don't worry too much. If there is and you feel uncomfortable, both check out with a doctor if necessary for peace of mind. Reading up about history of surnames and blood relations gives a better understanding. Ultimately, the decision is still up to you. When 'love' is the priority, all such concerns and advises will be of the past.

Place some flowers or plants outside the storeroom door.

The rationale of not marrying the same surname is actually comes with a scientific theory.

This practice also dissuades the motivation of incest in olden days.

One theory is that the observance of the taboo would lower the incidence of congenital birth defects caused by inbreeding.

On the other hand, modern day anthropologists reject this explanation for two reasons. First, inbreeding does not directly lead to congenital birth defects per se; it leads to an increase in the frequency of homozygotes. A homozygote encoding a congenital birth defect will produce children with birth defects, but homozygotes that do not encode for congenital birth defects will decrease the number of carriers in a population.

The following statistics were lifted off the net:

The cause of 40-60% of congenital physical anomalies (birth defects) in humans is unknown. These are referred to as sporadic birth defects, a term that implies an unknown cause, random occurrence regardless of maternal living conditions, and a low recurrence risk for future children.

For 20-25% of anomalies there seems to be a "multifactorial" cause, meaning a complex interaction of multiple minor genetic abnormalities with environmental risk factors. Another 10-13% of anomalies have a purely environmental cause (e.g. infections, illness, or drug abuse in the mother).

Only 12-25% of anomalies have a purely genetic cause. Of these, the majority are chromosomal abnormalities

I do not believe that a DNA test would be of any help. Seek out a doctor and tell him your concerns I believe he will be able to assist you and at the same time advise you on your concerns and any relevent medical tests if possible.

Probability and chances of such in-heritance risk are inevitable. So to totally eliminate these chances, the only way is not to have off spring. Of course this is up to individual. So read up more to understand it

Hello

When you stand inside the house and face the main door (some distance away), on your left is supposed to be your boyfriend/partner/opposite sex/ love life (those not married), a storeroom indicates obstacles. Look inside the store, check for any presence of discarded lamps, candles or anything that is wet/damp. If there isn't, then don't worry too much. If there is and you feel uncomfortable, both check out with a doctor if necessary for peace of mind. Reading up about history of surnames and blood relations gives a better understanding. Ultimately, the decision is still up to you. When 'love' is the priority, all such concerns and advises will be of the past.

Place some flowers or plants outside the storeroom door.

Hi Mr Chong,

I've check out my storeroom. Luckily, there isn't any of the items that you have mentioned, thanks so much for your advices!

Hi Mr Chong,

Would like to seek your opinion from feng shui point of view regarding this issue, many thanks :sport-smiley-018:

marry outside your ethnic group, you won't ever encounter such a problem

I'm going to married my gf whom bear the same chinese surname as me

but in english she is Wong & i'm Ng & we are not from the same dialect group.

so shld be alright

ya think it was some scientific theory la that breeding within the family line causes deformities in children. But I guess the chances are much slimmer... I mean If you share the same great-grandparents you will know right? Then if it's already SUPER far down the bloodline then it shouldn't be a problem since got mix with other bloodlines liao... :P