Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kang

3rm Resale Flat Renovation

We went for a viewing of a resale 3 rm flat. Main issue we have with the flat is that the bathroom is in pretty bad condition...There were cracks on the tiled walls and black seepage marks on the ceiling of the bathroom/wc. Anyone has any idea if it is difficult to patch this up? Is it expensive?

The housing agent said that the hdb officer will come and review the flat and he will probably get the owner to negotiate with the neighbour upstairs to patch up the ceiling.

But how can I ensure that they have done a good job and that the problem does not resurface?

Appreciate all the help I can get!:dunno:! Thanks!8|

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

It is really up to your upstairs neighbour to do a good and complete job. Frankly speaking, if the patch is too serious, I do not suggest you take up that unit. The reason is simple, why would they spend money to do something to their floor if the problem does not affect them at all but only the neighbour downstairs? Can you see the picture? This problem is not within your control.

When my Dad and I were looking for 3-room flat few years ago when we were moving house, my Dad always looked very carefully at the bathroom and toilet's ceilings, if he saw water patches or paint discolouring (which could be due to water seepage), he would walk out and not consider that unit irregardless of the selling price

It is really up to your upstairs neighbour to do a good and complete job. Frankly speaking, if the patch is too serious, I do not suggest you take up that unit. The reason is simple, why would they spend money to do something to their floor if the problem does not affect them at all but only the neighbour downstairs? Can you see the picture? This problem is not within your control.

When my Dad and I were looking for 3-room flat few years ago when we were moving house, my Dad always looked very carefully at the bathroom and toilet's ceilings, if he saw water patches or paint discolouring (which could be due to water seepage), he would walk out and not consider that unit irregardless of the selling price

Water leakage is troublesome. It is asking people to pay money to solve others people problems. If it is easily done, the seller probably would have get it done already.

Water leakage is troublesome. It is asking people to pay money to solve others people problems. If it is easily done, the seller probably would have get it done already.

Hey thanks, tatlee. I just went to hdb and they told me that although they will send an officer down to check but all they will do is send letters to both units, informing unit above that they might need to redo their waterproofing and stuff...But it is up to the owners to negotiate. So it is hard to determine how long this will drag... So we will make it a pt to look at bathroom ceilings 1st thing the next time we go view flat!

Hey thanks, tatlee. I just went to hdb and they told me that although they will send an officer down to check but all they will do is send letters to both units, informing unit above that they might need to redo their waterproofing and stuff...But it is up to the owners to negotiate. So it is hard to determine how long this will drag... So we will make it a pt to look at bathroom ceilings 1st thing the next time we go view flat!

I will think the normal practice is 50-50. It is on the HDB website.

I called HDB up, not too useful as it asked me to approach the Town Council to ascertain the situation. And the officer also mentioned that it is the owner responsibility to patch up the "hole" in the ceiling, due to water seepage....quite common for flat build around 1980 era...

Hope you guys know what i mean.

So is it the owner responsibility to patch it up, or the seller just buy the flat in its condition....is it the right of the buyer to request the seller to patch it up?

It is the responsbility of upstairs owner to resolve the water seepage problem. However, he can refuse not to do anything since this problem is not going to affect his daily life.

If you wanna buy the flat downstairs, you are buying it as it is condition, including the water seepage problem. Unless this problem has been resolved before you take over the ownership.

Yes, you should request the seller to patch it up with upstairs before he sells the unit to you.

Just sharing a little of my experience.

When I bought the resale flat, didnt really notice of the yellow marks on the ceiling of the kitchen toilet. It was highlighted by my designer after we went to view the house after the purchase.

On our first appointment with HDB, we highlighted this issue. We were told:

01. When the Technical Officer went for the first inspection, his job is to ascertain that there are no structural defects and 'illegal' renovations. Sippage problem is not part of the inspection.

02. As we are not the official owner yet, we need to get the seller [the owner] to attend to the problem. The seller needs to report it with the Branch Office.

03. The Branch Office will make an appointment with the seller and the owner of the unit above.

04. Should there is sippage problem, it will take a couple of weeks. HDB will provide some form of reno subsidy for this specific problem.

05. This will also delay the resale transaction.

Guess, it depends whether the seller wants to co-operate on this matter since the flat has been sold.

According to our designer, the effective way to rectify sippage problem is to do a primary enforcement - meaning, the unit above must correct the situation. Correcting it on your ceiling [secondary enforcement] without the primary works is only a temporary solution.

Hope this helps.

Ya, need primary reinforcement....getting others to solve your problem is really not easy.

Hi Reiki, can we do it ourselves instead of asking Seller to do it? Is it still dependent on upper level? I have the feeling that it is dependent on my neigbhour staying above me, and i have no choice but to convince him to do it, even if i have to pay it........

It is few hundred right...not like in thousand..faint....right??

can we do it ourselves instead of asking Seller to do it?

In my case, as we want to complete the resale transaction fast, we decided not to get the seller to lodge the complaint. We got him to confirm that there's no moist on the ceiling but just discolouration due to paint.

No, you cannot do it yourself cos the house still does not officially belong to you. I did call the branch office to enquire and they cant carry out to inspect cos I have not gotten the keys yet.

Is it still dependent on upper level?

To permanently solve the problem, the work must start from the upper level.

It is few hundred right...not like in thousand..faint....right??

From my understanding, the repair works will be less than $1K. The total cost will be shared .. though, i think the upper floor will pay more.

Also, you can approach your MP to get discounts -- haha, i was told this is possible.

I am considering an almost 30-yr old resale flat on the top floor. I am concerned about potential seepage from the ceiling although nothing was spotted during the first viewing. Suspect that owner might have given it a fresh coating not too long ago.. looks too perfect for an old flat... :P

Any idea whether town council will take care of this problem and if they will bear 100% of the cost?

We didn;y buy the flat in the end! We figured even if we fix the problem, it could come back again. To date, don;t think the unit is sold yet....

Aiyah, if the problem comes back again, just bang table at HDB or TC lah :notti: Since they are the one to be responsible for the water seepage.

It is easier to get these people to solve the problem cos they are from established orgn who follows the law. The best thing is, if you are not happy with them, can always get your MP to write them letters mah :sport-smiley-004:

The only thing you need to worry abt is the heat wave at top floor, could be very hot in the noon.