Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jon_g9

Our Project In Clementi

hi guys...been lurking around this forums for quite a while since we have gotten our flat. all the advice given here has been greatly useful to us in our planning for reno. so thought we'll share our reno journey here. hope to get to know all u clementi-dwellers

we got our flat during the feb 07 BE, 5-roomer at clementi blk 458. we are quite blessed with our queue number, we managed to get a number of 50+, that was half the units available. previously, we balloted for the new flats in commonwealth, that was the sep 06 BE, if i remember correctly. our queue number was quite decent as well, but in the end we didn't select an unit cos it was directly facing a potential school.

we got our keys in sep 07 but dragged our feet in renovating cos we're only getting married in jun 08. yes we managed to obtain a deferrment of marriage cert submission. a letter from our pastor and a copy of the hotel receipt was enough to do the trick

ID was a lady recommended by my uncle. her prices weren't fantastic but her ideas were pretty decent. here's the original layout

floorplan_13_582_copy2.sized.jpg

and here's the layout proposed by my ID

proposed_layout.sized.jpg

we kinda liked this design so we went ahead with it. reno started just after CNY and it's making good progress. will be posting more photos so watch this space!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

me spam too :yamseng:

love the kitchen / dining layout

remember one forummer did something similar, albeit industrial look for his place

and got featured in a magazine :unsure:

Edited by applefreak

thanks for your kind comments guys...the proposed layout is based on both of our requirements. i have always liked an open concept kitchen, especially with an island. but my wife is concerned that with an open concept, the cleaning up is going to be troublesome after cooking (not that we intend to do much cooking at the initial stage)

so our ID managed to carve out a wet kitchen space out of the kitchen which can be enclosed by sliding glass. it's a small area for cooking and washing but we'll make do...

collected keys in sep 07 so first look into our flat, pretty exciting

P1000379.sized.jpg

kitchen...hate those HDB tiles...gonna get rid of them somehow

P1000381.sized.jpg

will post the 3D drawings from my ID shortly...so stay tuned...

thanks for your kind comments guys...the proposed layout is based on both of our requirements. i have always liked an open concept kitchen, especially with an island. but my wife is concerned that with an open concept, the cleaning up is going to be troublesome after cooking (not that we intend to do much cooking at the initial stage)

so our ID managed to carve out a wet kitchen space out of the kitchen which can be enclosed by sliding glass. it's a small area for cooking and washing but we'll make do...

P1000379.sized.jpg

P1000381.sized.jpg

Your kitchen tiles not so bad what. You must have seen those horror offbeat kopitiam tiles in some of our forum's friends kitchen :notti:

i suppose the HDB tiles don't look too bad in the picture due to the lighting, but we really couldn't stand them. the orginal plan was to overlay with new tiles. so we went knocking for hollow tiles and found quite a few hollow and scratched tiles. so we wrote in to HDB and requested for rectification. it was a pleasant surprise when the HDB contractor called and said that there were no more tiles, i.e. they were gonna replace the entire existing tiles FOC...so in the end we chose the white tiles that was part of the free tiles. we could have topped up a bit more to get nicer homogenous tiles but decided against it as the bulk of the wall will be covered by the cabinets...believe me...it's much better than the original ones...will post the pics soon...

i suppose the HDB tiles don't look too bad in the picture due to the lighting, but we really couldn't stand them. the orginal plan was to overlay with new tiles. so we went knocking for hollow tiles and found quite a few hollow and scratched tiles. so we wrote in to HDB and requested for rectification. it was a pleasant surprise when the HDB contractor called and said that there were no more tiles, i.e. they were gonna replace the entire existing tiles FOC...so in the end we chose the white tiles that was part of the free tiles. we could have topped up a bit more to get nicer homogenous tiles but decided against it as the bulk of the wall will be covered by the cabinets...believe me...it's much better than the original ones...will post the pics soon...

Wahha good leh! So lucky of you. Maybe you can try your luck on those CMI toilet tiles too !!

Once your kitchen cabinet is installed, you may consider frosted glass mount on the wall? Dont need to hack the tiles. My humble suggestion lah.

P1000379.sized.jpg

P1000381.sized.jpg

will post the 3D drawings from my ID shortly...so stay tuned...

Wahha good leh! So lucky of you. Maybe you can try your luck on those CMI toilet tiles too :notti:

haha of course we tried...but apparently the toilet tiles are newly laid over the original ones so there's stock available. HDB actually overlaid another layer of tiles before releasing the flats...so imagine if we have gotten another set of tiles, that'll be 3 layers...the toilets will be so small...

in the end we told the HDB contractor to hack away the tiles for us...will be getting homogenous tiles as suggested by our ID

here's a shot of our toilet...

260907_1.jpg

one thing i realised about renovation works, while building takes time, demolition is sure fast...as the HDB contractor will replace the kitchen tiles, they'll be hacking away the existing ones. at the same time, my ID also sub-contracted them to do the necessary hacking for the rest of the flat, better coordination of works that way

as it turned out, the hacking was done under 3 days...surprisingly fast...

day one - kitchen wall and toilet tiles

200208_1.jpg

220208_1.jpg

you would wonder why would HDB do something like that...

200208_3.jpg

day two - walls come tumbling down

220208_2.jpg

220208_3.jpg

stay tuned...more updates to follow...

just to digress from this topic, i'm looking for a suitable way to display my vodka collection...started collecting them recently when i had to travel for work...should i mount them high up on the wall? or should i place them on a mid-height counter top? if i mount them high up, cleaning will be an hassle but i kinda like the pub look. mid-height might be more dangerous in case they get knocked over accidentally...

suggestions are welcome...

here's a look at my bottles...they're currently displayed along the stairway of my family home. can't imagine the thought of having to pack them up and move them over to clementi...fragile stuff

Image004.sized.jpg

just to digress from this topic, i'm looking for a suitable way to display my vodka collection...started collecting them recently when i had to travel for work...should i mount them high up on the wall? or should i place them on a mid-height counter top? if i mount them high up, cleaning will be an hassle but i kinda like the pub look. mid-height might be more dangerous in case they get knocked over accidentally...

suggestions are welcome...

here's a look at my bottles...they're currently displayed along the stairway of my family home. can't imagine the thought of having to pack them up and move them over to clementi...fragile stuff

Image004.sized.jpg

WOW! finally i found a Absolut collector!:o:unsure:

i also thinking how to display my bottles... headache ah~~~

:P

Edited by haroldism

cool...a fellow Absolut fan...so how are u displaying your bottles now?

i realise they are all quite heavy...since they're all unopened. that might prove to be a big issue if i decide to wall mount the bottles

yeah, same thoughts... went to Ikea and saw a wall mount shelf... will be quite cool if were to mount high up on e wall... cleaning it will be a hassle thou... another issue is that i abit dun trust Ikea stuff... not so sure whether it will withstand the weight of all e absolut onot...

perhap i be getting a shelf for displaying~

:unsure: