Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
icegal

Inverter Or Non-inverter Aircon?

Had just purchase a flat with my mum. Now is still deciding on which ID to confirm with. Hope to confirm an ID b4 my holiday trip in april. Was undecisive on which type of aircon to get - inverter or non-inverter. Originally had wanted to get a system 3 non-inverter but after reading comments from the forum here change my mind to get a inverter instead. But today my colleague at my workplace told mi that non-inverter is better unless u going to on the aircon 24 hrs a day then shld get a inverter else nt worth it cos the electricity will be more for the time when u switch it on. My sis room is going to on the aircon every nite but the other rooms will only on it if its humid. So does anyone have any recommendation on which should i take?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I have been thinking hard and long on this matter too. If you read some of my posting, I have be considering on this matter for quite some time. At first I was dead set on a system 4 inverter. Than I change my mind and want to go for non-inverter, than back and forth and finally decided on a sys4 inverter.

Usually 2 aircons will be switch on every night (about 8 hrs) so according to what I understand inverter will make sense. Than I install ceiling fans in every room and wonder if I will switch on the aircon less often.

In the end I decided to just go for the inverter coz I can imagine in those hot months (which is most of the months in Singapore) I will most like on 2 (and maybe even 3 at times) aircons so looking at long run, I should save. Also, my colleague who has an inverter aircon and her utility bill seems lesser than the national average. So I am taking my chances with the Inverter. Furthermore, it uses the more environmental friendly gas so just trying to do my bit :notti:

In most cases it's still depend on yourself, the main fartor is how many unit you want to on and how long?? if you thinking of using it no so offen e.g. 1 time a week for 3 or 4 hr, then this would not make a lot different between inverter or non-inverter. if you decide to on the air con every nite for e.g. 8 or 10 hr either 1 or 2 unit then it's better to goes for inverter . Most people go for Japanese brand here.

we got a inverter in the end.

The salesperson mention that if only 1 room is on every night, a non-inverter will do just fine. 2 rooms & above is best to get an inverter.

Persnally, i feel that only thing constant is the rise in electricity bill. No doubt the cost saving costs in few years later. We don't change air con that frequent too. So, unless $$ is tight, i think can cnsider inverter

If can afford it, choose inverter. Aircon is something tat u use daily, and the incremental cost spread out over the years, is actually a very small difference. The same logic is used to justify getting a good matteress.

There is a misconception about inverter-non inverter argument relating to PARTIAL LOAD. System 3 but use only 1 room, a non inverter will cut in/cut out very often, jacking up the electrical consumption. Inverter will simply slow down. Thus.. for "only 1 room" operating environment, should always choose inverter.

ok..thanks for all the reply. hehe! I think i will look for inverter. Today just went to IMM to look for aircon pricing. Now is thinking of which to get - Toshiba system 3 or mitsubishi system 3?The guy who serve us is very good n explain to us but we still undecided. He say they gt received some complaints that mitsubishi aircon sometimes is nt so cold after some time but toshiba nv receive this type of complaints.He also mention that both are energy saving but toshiba is cheaper cos of the branding. Another thing is toshiba the swing is nt from top to bottom as wat mitsubishi is.My sis is afraid that the room wun be cold. Does anyone encounter any problem with their toshiba aircon?

Cool...I just confirm my toshiba sys4 inverter today. It's a friend recommendation so also not sure how good it is. Can only tell after installation tomorrow and after using for a while :jawdrop: Cheers!

Hi, their service is good but the workmanship is not 100 percent. Some of the drilling and sealing up afterward not as good as I hope. But the laying of the trunking and their suggestions are quite good. They are friendly and responsible, got 3 person but 1 not experience one, so more like a helper.

Because the compressor is too big to fit into the window they took out one window to bring it through, the only problem is they didn't ask me for permission. Then they tried to fit is back themselves. But their are no trained on windows installation and I do not trust their installation (coz casement got law to abide) and I believe their will not have the right tools. This is confirmed by my window grille contractor and I decided to ask them to re-install for me. Since their are already here can save on transport and pay for the stainless steel rivet price only.

Hi all, I am new to aircon and like to know what is an invertor and non-invertor.

And what is a system 3 versus a system 4?

I like to put aircon in my 3 bedroom and all 3 of them using for the whole nite.

Is it better to use invertor or non-invertor?

Actually I like to put one in the living room. But is it going to be very expensive,

when comes to electriciy bills?

Thanks.

Hi all, I am new to aircon and like to know what is an invertor and non-invertor.

And what is a system 3 versus a system 4?

I like to put aircon in my 3 bedroom and all 3 of them using for the whole nite.

Is it better to use invertor or non-invertor?

Actually I like to put one in the living room. But is it going to be very expensive,

when comes to electriciy bills?

Thanks.

if ur using all 3 a/c quite often... it make economical sense to install an invertor.... u shld be able 2 breakeven in bt 2yrs time...

sys 3 = 1 outdoor to 3 indoor units...

sys 4 = 1 outdoor to 4 indoor units

as for when considering to install for ur living rm, juz make sure tt u've got e right BTU or it'll be a waste of $$$ coz ur living rm will not be cool despite on for long hours... juz my 2c tots.... :notti:

Most buyers forget it is also the energy rating of the air con that is most important when considering what air con to buy. Obviously inverters are the most energy efficient, but amongst inverter types some are better than others:

NEA website

Buying inverters and R410A-based air cons is a no-brainer. Don't forget R22 based air cons are being phased out no matter what the sales ppl tell you, and in the future (2015) it may be impossible to get R22-refrigerant or very expensive to get R22 refills.

Obviously the dealer has to sell old stocks of R22-based aircons and so will give all sorts of stories and half-truths to persuade you to buy R22-based aircons. Don't believe them!

One half-truth is that R410A-based aircons are more expensive to refill.

My experience? Servicing my new R410A-based Starmex fancoils cost the same as servicing my previous Daikin R22-based fancoils. What you pay depends on yr relationship with the service provider, and how you negotiate.

Have you also considered that even if R22 aircons may be cheaper to refill now, in future as R22 is phased out completely, R22 will become difficult to source and it will become prohibitively expensive to refill with R22 then?

If the dealer says non-inverters are better, just ask him the model number of the latest non-inverter and when it was manufactured. The answer (probably years ago) will give you an idea of the trend.

I also found from my experience that most sales staff at dealer showrooms don't know a thing about cooling capacity of the aircon for a room. I was nearly suckered into paying a dp for the System 3 aircon I was eyeing (9K BTU for each of my 2 BR, and 18K BTU for my living-dining room, 28K BTU compressor) when at the last minute I put it off because somehow I felt the salesman didn't know his stuff.

Going to 3 different showrooms in total, I got 3 different answers :bangwall: (BTUs of 18K, 22K, 26K) on which unit I should buy to cool my extended living room.

I know the frustration my brother got when after spending a princely sum on his brand-new aircon, it failed to cool the living room.

Another brother was exasperated by the condensation constantly dripping onto his parquet floor. Seemed there was little or no professionalism in the industry.

No wonder, because most salesmen didn't know a thing or two about aircons, from my experience.

Finally I found out by myself that I should get the 26K BTU capacity to cool my living space. And that was by studying the catalog and brochure provided by the aircon factory (will explain later how to read the capacity table on my blog if I have the time).

I suspected the wrong advice was given either due to ignorance, or intentionally by sales ppl hoping to rip off the buyer.

For instance, in one GC showroom (before I had found out the answer for myself) the sales staff recommended an 18K unit for the LR fancoil. When I told him the calculation indicated I needed a higher capacity, he said sure and quoted a different but much higher price for the 22K BTU unit, which he said was more than enough for my space. Unconvinced, I asked for the 26K BTU unit, and the final quotation was $3,450 before insulation ($40 per fancoil x 3 ) and stainless steel bracket ($150), or a total of $3,720. To cut a long story short, I got the same system from another GC showroom for a much lower price (all-in $3300):help: Like everyone is saying, if you don't watch out for yourself, the salesman will slaughter you!!

There are also other issues to consider and it is best you find out for yourselves instead of relying on hearsay or sales talk. Some even provide -- albeit unintentionally -- misleading information on this thread(!)

Sorry for the long post, but there is so much misinformation that I feel compelled to contribute this piece.

The internet is the best resource for this and some websites have FAQs on aircons. :(

Edited by BlueFly

Thanks Bluefly

very good info

me and my wife thinking of getting 2 9000BTU LGs for the living room (which is not big) since we do not think that the 2 ACs will be switched on often enough

also we like the new Samsung Vivace aircon

hope that it will not be 2 ex

Thanks Bluefly

very good info

me and my wife thinking of getting 2 9000BTU LGs for the living room (which is not big) since we do not think that the 2 ACs will be switched on often enough

also we like the new Samsung Vivace aircon

hope that it will not be 2 ex

A penny for thought.

Depending on the size of your living room (3 roomers, 4 or 5).

If yours comes with Living & Dining Area, 2 X 9000BTU will not be able to cool the place down especially when you have guest. Straining on your system will also lead to clogging of the drain pipes, molding of the fan unit, condensation and shortening the life span of the entire system

Let me share with you on my installation: Executive flat with 2 X 26,000BTU Daikin Inverters

3 X 9,000BTU for the bedrooms (12,000BTU will be too cold for rooms)

3 X 12,000BTU for Living / Dining area and study area since the study area can still get a fair share of cold air when I turn on both the Living / Dining rooms and after cooling them down.

Enjoy making your decision :D