Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
big orange

Bedok Central

hi, sry for being noob, but new house can hack the wall? :dunno:

Can, we all live in pigeon holes that has 6 walls, just make sure don't :bangwall: the one on top and below. Unless of course your is the top level unit, you can create a skylight.

Seriously, avoid those that are blacken in the drawing, these are steel structures for the whole block. Whack it and the whole block could be in trouble, especially if you are in the middle of the block (buckling problem).

Edited by Ideasmiths

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Seriously, avoid those that are blacken in the drawing, these are steel structures for the whole block. Whack it and the whole block could be in trouble.

Don't worry. Hacking wall requires a permit application, this won't get approved. (IF follow the law)

Since the majority of Linear Green is occupied by residents who opted for SERS, I believe this piece of news is appropriate for our thread: Fiona Chan reports HDB residents give thumbs up to SERS scheme.

Don't worry. Hacking wall requires a permit application, this won't get approved. (IF follow the law)

Very true.. haha.. nobody can hack off the beams... anyway.. Hacking might oso incur a Professional Engineer(PE) approval and fee.. Abt 300 bucks - according to my ID (pay to them not yr ID/contractor so don worry u will kana tok or wat..they will send u letter..).. cos fresh grad(building sector) income too low need our $$.... lolz --> heard from one of the contractors below our block don noe true a nt.. haha.. and i kana 1 for myself... :(

Herbman - Thanks!!

Herbman - Thanks!!

welcome

hi, sry for being noob, but new house can hack the wall? :dunno:

Your ID should know waht to do when hack and ths requires permit so that we can stay in the blk for yeart to come hee hee.. refer to your renovation handbook :) this belong to the area where permit is required.

Actually I was like waiting for the boy scouts to come around for their tour of duty, then pay each of them $10 and a hammer to break some bricks....will defintely save me $400. Whack already then :deal: lor can? :dancingqueen:

come to think of it, if you happen to stay in the middle level of the block, please don't lean anything heavy on any of the black pillars (on drawing). Buckling failure is like lighting (aka 911 type) and you won't know it till it's too late.

Buckling is like you take a long ruler, you put it vertically onto the table and press down the top with one finger. Then you just press lightly in the middle with one finger (on the FLAT and broader side, not the thinnest side), you will see the whole ruler will bend rapidly even with small pressure. Imagine you do that on our pillars.

Most likely won't happen, but you may never know

Edited by Ideasmiths

Since the majority of Linear Green is occupied by residents who opted for SERS, I believe this piece of news is appropriate for our thread: Fiona Chan reports HDB residents give thumbs up to SERS scheme.

zz Long time ago I had stopped 154th tripod news from polluting my mind. :bleah:

come to think of it, if you happen to stay in the middle level of the block, please don't lean anything heavy on any of the black pillars (on drawing). Buckling failure is like lighting (aka 911 type) and you won't know it till it's too late.

Wah. thats rather paranoid right?

Wah. thats rather paranoid right?

Engineers fear two types of failure, one is like the Nicoell Highway collaspe (buckling) and the other is shearing (ie being cut by scissors). Both type no signs one, until failure occurs. For other defects like tears, cut, dent, scratch, corrosion, bending, cracking, twisting, elongation, crushing and more...., all can see the 'defects' long before failure.

Each HDB unit has a maximum floor loading, but seldom they specify wall loading, scarly someone lets say is a weight lifting fanatic and he stock some weights against wall. Then put a running track around wall, just running alone will causes all kind of vibration....boom boom boom.

Anyway, I am very paranoid, that is why I am on the 5th floor lol, just high enough to jump down if kanna trap by fire (the most break a leg, with bedsheet tie maybe break toe)......I am very kiasu type lol.

Engineers fear two types of failure, one is like the Nicoell Highway collaspe (buckling) and the other is shearing (ie being cut by scissors). Both type no signs one, until failure occurs. For other defects like tears, cut, dent, scratch, corrosion, bending, cracking, twisting, elongation, crushing and more...., all can see the 'defects' long before failure.

so pple before your hack pls apply permit hee hee or get a PE to certify first :)

Wah lau ... haven't moved in and you guys already discussing about building collapse??? Not a very good topic eh?
Think it could be Mr Ryan's occupational hazard? :o

Hmm.. y today so quiet?

IKEA 2009 catalogue is out! http://www.ikea.com.sg/homepage/home.asp - check them out!

For those interested in wallpaper - apart from Goodrich.. here is another 1 for references:

http://www.dnalife.com.sg/

And take note on buying/handling energy saving bulb - http://www.asiaone.com/Digital/News/Story/...0806-80848.html

Edited by yokoyoko

thanks for the links yokoyoko! i want wallpaper also :sport-smiley-018:

u r welcome.. i still thinking of doing it a nt.. seem quite exp.. thinking of import/buy from overseas den DIY or pay 100 plus for labour..