Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
CutePinkElephant

Laminate Floor

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Laminated flooring is quite hassle and maintenance free, just mop with water once every 2 days. I would love to have them in the whole house, but my parents prefer tiles in the living/dining room.

If you have kids, have to keep an eye on them, so that they won't spill any drinks.. If they do, be sure to wipe it up asap.

And you do save quite a lot by overlaying, without the hacking/disposal.

erm.. i hv laminates in bedrooms n tiles in living.. nw i'm quite regretted not to do tiles for whole house.. i still prefer tiles.. thou give a colder feel but sg is a hot place so we still prefer tiles.. if our budget permitted back then we'd very much prefer tiles.. may b cos we hv dog at home.. but hv'ing kids at home wud mean the same as u can't monitor the kids frm accidentally urinate or spill their drinks.. so a bit hard to maintain in this sense

I have laminates in bedrooms and tarrazzo in living. I didn't regret doing laminates for bedrooms as I really enjoy the cosy feeling the laminates give me when I am in my bedrooms. The comfortable and relax feeling from the laminates are what tiles can't give. My mind always cool down and gotten ready to sleep when I step into my bedroom :P

Having animals or kids at home might not be suitable for laminates cos need to watch out on them reguarly. However, it depends on individual lah.

erm.. i hv laminates in bedrooms n tiles in living.. nw i'm quite regretted not to do tiles for whole house.. i still prefer tiles.. thou give a colder feel but sg is a hot place so we still prefer tiles.. if our budget permitted back then we'd very much prefer tiles.. may b cos we hv dog at home.. but hv'ing kids at home wud mean the same as u can't monitor the kids frm accidentally urinate or spill their drinks.. so a bit hard to maintain in this sense

Ooops, you are right in a way.

Tiles do look more grand for living/dining area, whereas the cosyness of laminates should preferably be reserved for rooms only.

I was speaking from a child-less, pet-less point of view, it's easy to maintain if one have no intention to have kids/pets. Else will indeed be an issue when it comes to cleaning up spillage/pee.

anyone heard or done laminate flooring by this company, middle curtain & carpet...i found it in sgbride..seems cheapest and not made in china...

isit true cannot do overlay on old tiles?

My inlaw wanna do laminate flooring for whole house..contractor say cannot..coz old tiles..wait pop up..etc..

hmmm..so long nvr pop,dun tink will pop..

I have laminated flooring for the whole place except the wet areas.

IMHO, If you have pets or kids while they're still young & not toilet trained, its advisable not to do laminate flooring for the whole place. Maybe limit it to rooms. 'Cos you can't be around 24 HOURS a day to check for any pee spots by your pet which means the edges of the laminate can swell a little bit which isn't nice if you're not able to clean it up in time.

Secondly, the weather issue, if you dun have a habit of closing the windows before you leave your place, you have higher chances of rain coming in & spoiling the laminates faster. Even if you're outside and the weather is looking good but does not mean it will remain good the whole time. Weather is the most unpredictable. :)

Other than that, maintaining the flooring is relatively easy & a whole lot cheaper compared to having tiles.

isit true cannot do overlay on old tiles?

My inlaw wanna do laminate flooring for whole house..contractor say cannot..coz old tiles..wait pop up..etc..

hmmm..so long nvr pop,dun tink will pop..

ya i also facing this prob..my 20 years old house..the tiles abit not even liao...i tot of hacking away...then cement screed...then lay laminates....peace of my mind for the next 20 years...

ya i also facing this prob..my 20 years old house..the tiles abit not even liao...i tot of hacking away...then cement screed...then lay laminates....peace of my mind for the next 20 years...

Erm.. Ah Jane, since u had plan to go to the extend to hack away your uneven old tiles and do cement screed, i suggest u dun do laminate flooring. Coz its defeat the purpose of not overlaying, maybe you can parquet flooring with matt finish lor.

Erm.. Ah Jane, since u had plan to go to the extend to hack away your uneven old tiles and do cement screed, i suggest u dun do laminate flooring. Coz its defeat the purpose of not overlaying, maybe you can parquet flooring with matt finish lor.

but even if i dun overlay and choose to lay new tiles, i still have to hack all away...cos mine is a 20 years flat and it believe it may pop in next 5 years to come.

my MIL kitchen pop last year...about 22 years plus...OMG.....

For installing the laminate flooring, how do you prevent water from the HDB corridor washing from splashing onto the laminates at your living room? Would like to avoid damage your flooring?