Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
LittleDevil

Setting Up Our Own Home...

The thickness of the clear tempered glass for both the door and the fixed panel is 10mm. The door is of typical door height and 900mm in length. The fixed panel is also 900mm in length and is extended to the ceiling height. Another piece of glass is place on top of the swing door.

:)

oo. so shuld be something like wat i'll be doing. juz need to check if de glass looks secured? hehe. wun feel like going to break anytime hor? 8|

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

More pictures...

Kitchen door - fitted nicely under the beam...

P1030626.jpg

Clear glass fixed panel and door - currently sourcing for window film company to do solar film for the windows and motif stickers for the fixed panel. Any recommendation?

P1030659.jpg

Blum drawer will always come with its logo at the side...

P1030676.jpg

Oops! Scratches on my kitchen cabinet! Will have to ask my ID to redo the laminates...

P1030678.jpg

Reflection on the tinted mirror of the dining area

P1030660.jpg

Shower area of the common toilet. Basin and tap not up yet. A bit worried about our choice of black tinted glass basin for the common toilet. The colour seems a bit out...

P1030655.jpg

Frosted tempered glass door for master toilet. Will have to be careful when opening the door cos' it might hit the glass shower screen...

P1030629.jpg

Master toilet with the toilet accessories and basin tap up.

P1030646.jpg

Shower area in the master toilet. Like how the mosaic is reflected on to the glass surface of the shower screen.

P1030649.jpg

Finally, the feature wall in our master bedroom with the wallpaper pasted on. Bought a set of quilt cover set at the Tang Bazaar sales today at Suntec. Beige and dark brown in colour with a bit of sheen silky surface.

P1030672.jpg

That's all for tonight. Tomorrow will visit the flat for more pictures.... :yamseng:

Wrought iron front gate has been installed. Thinking of getting a Duro lock but not sure whether it can hold well cos the iron rods of the gate are quite thin. Any advice?

P1030679.jpg

Foyer with the pebblewash done. The stile tiles don't seems to go well with the pebbles. :(

P1030680.jpg

A closer view of the joint between the pebble wash and living room tiles

P1030682.jpg

Bedroom doors... the design does not turn up as well as we expected.

P1030683.jpg

Kitchen cabinet with the lights on...

P1030690a.jpg

LittleDevil: Agree that the pebble and tile may not match too well, maybe you can add a water feature or some attention-grabbing item to take away the comparison? Your bedroom doors are nice, perhaps it's not bright enough to show the design fully - how about painting the door frame in a contrasting colour? Anyway, glad to see your house progressing well :) cheers.

Edited by Starscream

LittleDevil: Agree that the pebble and tile may not match too well, maybe you can add a water feature or some attention-grabbing item to take away the comparison? Your bedroom doors are nice, perhaps it's not bright enough to show the design fully - how about painting the door frame in a contrasting colour? Anyway, glad to see your house progressing well :) cheers.

Don't think will add water feature... difficult to maintain and the walkway will become too narrow... Hope the colour of the tiles will darken after some time and blend in better with the pebbles.

Hmm.. will explore the idea of repainting the door frame with BigAngel and our ID...

Thanks for the suggestions! :dancingqueen:

Very nice the reno. I think it looks a little empty & the foyer is a little woody looking with the shoe cabinet & settee look hence it is not "matching". Maybe you can inject a bit of colour by putting some artificial plants that closely resembles real ones.

Hi, may i know how much in total is the glass door for the kitchen? Swing door + Fixed panel? I think my kitchen is similar to yours, since i need to do a door at full ceiling height. :)

Hi, may i know how much in total is the glass door for the kitchen? Swing door + Fixed panel? I think my kitchen is similar to yours, since i need to do a door at full ceiling height. :)

The 10mm thick tempered glass swing door is $500 while the full height fixed glass panel is $400. Each of it is 900mm in length.

If you add in the hacking cost and the cost of touching up after hacking which is about $400-$500, the total cost involved will be about $$1.3k to $1.4k. Do note that if you go for sliding glass door, it will be more expensive.

But we like the amount of light that is brought into the kitchen after hacking off the wall. :sport-smiley-004:

nice hse!!!!!

I really like what you guys did here!

your toilet is really nice!!

Thanks for the comments!

Most importantly, the renovation is ending soon. Looking forward to furnishing and decorating the house and making it a place we called home.

Will be checking out for defects this afternoon since we are meeting Darren to go through the list for rectification before the final settlement of payment.

Edited by LittleDevil

was just looking at your foyer again, if you're uncertain about the pebble wash going with your tiles, you could either get a small area rug to mask the pebble wash area, or get a really really striking painting to put on the wall so people's attention will go directly to the wall, and not the floor.

was just looking at your foyer again, if you're uncertain about the pebble wash going with your tiles, you could either get a small area rug to mask the pebble wash area, or get a really really striking painting to put on the wall so people's attention will go directly to the wall, and not the floor.

Actually we quite like the pebble wash. Just that the stile tiles is too matt and the grey colour is a bit out from the pebble's colour.

Have discussed with our ID, he said it is possible to replace the tiles. Will be meeting up with him this weekend to reselect the tiles. :dancingqueen:

Edited by LittleDevil

After two months plus of work in progress, finally we are at the very last but important stage of the renovation i.e. defect rectification phase. This post aims to share some of our experience in identifying the defects.

The most important thing is you really need to spend more time checking every single details of the house. We have sought help from my parents and spend three hours doing a thorough house cleaning-cum-inspection.

Flooring

Sweeping and mopping the floor helps to remove dust and debris and thus offering a clear view of the actual finished work. We actually go into the extent of kneeling down and wiping every single floor tile (including laminate flooring) such that we could do a visual inspection for cracks and dents (which we found in 3 floor tiles and 2 laminate floor boards). Not to forget the floor skirting.

For the bathrooms, check that there is sufficient gradient - water can flow towards the gutter readily.

For area with no skirting, e.g. kitchen & foyer, ensure that the point of contact between floor and wall is done neatly

And of course the "hollow" sound test for all the tiles.

Check the grouts of the tiles - must be neat, clean and nicely filled. To take note that after chemical wash, some grouts might be discoloured and even "melted".

Carpentry Work

Open every drawers and cabinet door to ensure the opening/sliding mechanism are okay and can be closed properly (i.e. no gap and when closed all doors are in alignment).

Check for the integrity and quality of the internal shelving and drawer base. My colleague’s drawer base actually fell off when she poked at it.

Check every surface of the carpentry work, glass work, laminate and floor & wall tile for scratches and stains.

Check the locks of the drawers & doors to ensure they function well

Check the edges of the laminate to ensure that they are properly sealed.

In wet area, such as kitchen and bathroom, ensure that there is no exposed wood surface i.e. all surfaces of carpentry work including the bottom must be covered (either laminate or PVC).

Electrical & Plumbing Work

Check if all the powerpoints and lighting work. For the powerpoint, can test using a small electrical appliance (e.g. hair dryer). We incidentally discovered that our new single power point cannot be used with an adapter due to the design of the brand.

Check if there is any missing powerpoint - compared against the electrical work invoice.

Check if the heaters are functioning well.

Check that all the taps are connected well (including the spray gun). When it is on, there should not be any water gushing or sipping out from the connection points. Check the drainage pipe for leakage as well.

I think the list is not exhausive. Probably anyone could advise what else should homeowners look out for.

:sport-smiley-003:

After two months plus of work in progress, finally we are at the very last but important stage of the renovation i.e. defect rectification phase. This post aims to share some of our experience in identifying the defects.

The most important thing is you really need to spend more time checking every single details of the house. We have sought help from my parents and spend three hours doing a thorough house cleaning-cum-inspection.

Flooring

Sweeping and mopping the floor helps to remove dust and debris and thus offering a clear view of the actual finished work. We actually go into the extent of kneeling down and wiping every single floor tile (including laminate flooring) such that we could do a visual inspection for cracks and dents (which we found in 3 floor tiles and 2 laminate floor boards). Not to forget the floor skirting.

For the bathrooms, check that there is sufficient gradient - water can flow towards the gutter readily.

For area with no skirting, e.g. kitchen & foyer, ensure that the point of contact between floor and wall is done neatly

And of course the "hollow" sound test for all the tiles.

Check the grouts of the tiles - must be neat, clean and nicely filled. To take note that after chemical wash, some grouts might be discoloured and even "melted".

Carpentry Work

Open every drawers and cabinet door to ensure the opening/sliding mechanism are okay and can be closed properly (i.e. no gap and when closed all doors are in alignment).

Check for the integrity and quality of the internal shelving and drawer base. My colleague’s drawer base actually fell off when she poked at it.

Check every surface of the carpentry work, glass work, laminate and floor & wall tile for scratches and stains.

Check the locks of the drawers & doors to ensure they function well

Check the edges of the laminate to ensure that they are properly sealed.

In wet area, such as kitchen and bathroom, ensure that there is no exposed wood surface i.e. all surfaces of carpentry work including the bottom must be covered (either laminate or PVC).

Electrical & Plumbing Work

Check if all the powerpoints and lighting work. For the powerpoint, can test using a small electrical appliance (e.g. hair dryer). We incidentally discovered that our new single power point cannot be used with an adapter due to the design of the brand.

Check if there is any missing powerpoint - compared against the electrical work invoice.

Check if the heaters are functioning well.

Check that all the taps are connected well (including the spray gun). When it is on, there should not be any water gushing or sipping out from the connection points. Check the drainage pipe for leakage as well.

I think the list is not exhausive. Probably anyone could advise what else should homeowners look out for.

:sport-smiley-003:

Wah SIONG!! :jawdrop::bow::bow::bow: