Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Herman1609

Removing Wooden Platform Will Damage Floor?

Hi all,

The ex owner built this platform which me and future wife has every intention to remove, as it's taking too much space. Some contractors warned that the installers might have "nailed" the structure to the floor.. best case is they might use glue instead.

Anyone experienced this when removing platform, or have seen how they install such platforms?

2488176182e193b0c20e4c879438adb610eed16.

If the worst fears come true, i would want to "cover" the terracotta tiles with parguet. Can they just overlay? Any one knows where to find good lobang for parquet flooring? My contracter wants to charge me about $1.3k for the area (abt 150 sq ft)

Lastly, regarding the cost of doing tiles (for my balcony)... i estimated the area to be about 90 sq ft. Based on $3.50 psf tiles, the cost will be about $300 for the tiles. how come my contractor charging me more than $1k ah? Workmanship and BIG profit? If i buy tiles myself, who should i get to install for more savings?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi all,

The ex owner built this platform which me and future wife has every intention to remove, as it's taking too much space. Some contractors warned that the installers might have "nailed" the structure to the floor.. best case is they might use glue instead.

Anyone experienced this when removing platform, or have seen how they install such platforms?

If the worst fears come true, i would want to "cover" the terracotta tiles with parguet. Can they just overlay? Any one knows where to find good lobang for parquet flooring? My contracter wants to charge me about $1.3k for the area (abt 150 sq ft)

Lastly, regarding the cost of doing tiles (for my balcony)... i estimated the area to be about 90 sq ft. Based on $3.50 psf tiles, the cost will be about $300 for the tiles. how come my contractor charging me more than $1k ah? Workmanship and BIG profit? If i buy tiles myself, who should i get to install for more savings?

hi,

my own experience in platform is that they nailed to the floor. a stupid thing to do by contractor of the ex-owner, but he did it that way.

i think last time, in old days, that's how they do things. Same as those old toilet bowls, where contractor will screw the WC onto the toilet floor. But this method is no good because it causes water leakages from your toilet to the below neighbor.

Nowadays, contractors just let the WC rest on the floor. No more screwing into the floor.

if the contractor still put screws into toilet floor, he's still living in old days, and the flat owner will have problems next time when the below neighbor complains abt water leakage......

So i'm pretty sure your old platform will have nails or screws on the floor.

another tip is that if yr contractor is charging you $1.3k for your bedroom floor, you might as well do homo tiles.

$1.3k for parquet is not cheap.

Do tiles for your bedroom and your balcony, and bargain for cheaper price from the contractor, since its the same job with the same workers.

You do parquet for bedroom and tiles for balcony, your contractor charge you for seperate jobs. Parquet work, he definitley out-source to the parquet company.

Another tip is bargain for higher price tiles. he give $3.5 tiles, is cheapo tiles, i must say.

ask for $4 to $4.50 tiles. But the trick is make him confirm the actual quote for laying tiles first. But you come in with this $4 to $4.50 tiles, and pressure him to let you have it.

Labor cost for laying tiles is same amt as of the price of tiles. i guess this is market practice.

So if your tiles supply cost you total $400. Contractor willl add in another $400 for the labor to lay them.

Hi all,

Hi

i've just removed my platform bed which ex-owner built as well. for me, the exposed floor is already parquet, and there is nothing underneath the platform, thus i just laid parquet. platform is about 13 yrs old, and there is no use of nails, only glue. actually if you wana cover the tiles, u can juz overlay wooden strips, don't have to hack and lay parquet. my area to lay parquet oso about 150 sq ft, cost me $850 to lay and revarnish.

i also removed a platform left by previous owner.. if the platform is not nailed, but glue instead, should not have any problems removing it.. and also wont damage the tiles below.. there might be some marks around.. but just some acid wash will be able to clear away the marks..

it is best to get a contractor to see the condition of the platform.. if is glued or nailed..

:yamseng: