Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
pinkpetter

Cheapest Way To Do Flooring?

Oh so terrazzo is not a laminate? mm *confused* Must really go and look up such stuff. I will ask the people to quote me if I do homo tiles and laminate ... see how. BUt cos I have a rabbit. and she gets to run about twice a day... so I'm afraid she'll try to tear the laminate apart.. you know la... hide in some corner and chew chew chew.. until one day... :jawdrop: then too late liao

Hi Pinkpetter,

You've got a cute lop there. :) Is she litter trained?

Homogeneous Tiles

We had stayed in an apartment with homogeneous tiled flooring. Easy to maintain. A little tricky for bunnies to hop around but they will get used to it. When we had a bunny gathering, we put a rug like the green one so it's easier for the bunnies to stand on to munch their veggies, hay and pellets.

050319_0252_gathering.jpg . 050420_1137_fiver_sleeping.jpg

Ceramic Tiles

Easy to maintain too. We didn't have to rush to clean up any accidentals. Easier for bunnies to hop around. :)

050411_0924_pally.jpg . 051016_4960_hotbabe.jpg

Not sure what are these tiles but this set up is in the balcony and we just wash the balcony once a month; didn't have to bother too much if the bunnies had any accidental urine spots on this type of flooring.

050623_2567_rounddishesmaidens.jpg

Laminated flooring

We know of someone who has 2 bunnies and they have laminated flooring throughout except for kitchen and toilets. They only allow their 2 bunnies free run of the hall when they are home. So far, no complains from them about their bunnies digging into the laminate flooring.

We have another friend with a dog at home and they have just moved into a new place with laminated flooring too. Whenever the dog walks in the flat, there is this 'klack klack klack' sound on the laminated flooring. :(

We considered laminated flooring too. It's mainly the sound of footsteps that we rejected the idea to have laminated flooring.

Marble & Terrazzo Flooring

If your bunny urine on terrazzo or marble flooring, you have to wipe it up very quickly otherwise it will stain the flooring.

Cement Screed

We have 8 bunnies now; 3 bunnies at a 2 storey playhouse that Tom built at the recess area and another 4 playareas set up for the other 5 bunnies in the front room.

Our flooring: cement screed. :)

Our 2nd choice

If we didn't have to consider the possibility of the cue ball or any of the billiard balls falling off the table that might damage the flooring, we would have homogeneous tiled flooring. :)

KK

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi Pinkpetter,

You've got a cute lop there. :) Is she litter trained?

Homogeneous Tiles

We had stayed in an apartment with homogeneous tiled flooring. Easy to maintain. A little tricky for bunnies to hop around but they will get used to it. When we had a bunny gathering, we put a rug like the green one so it's easier for the bunnies to stand on to munch their veggies, hay and pellets.

050319_0252_gathering.jpg .

Wah So many Bunnies!!!! My bunny will go home to urinate but she will still poo outside occasionally which we are mostly ok about. She runs about for a few hours twice a day. And when she first came she will slip as she ran about the house also so I guess that's what you mean by getting used to it. hahaha

Ceramic Tiles

Easy to maintain too. We didn't have to rush to clean up any accidentals. Easier for bunnies to hop around. :)

050411_0924_pally.jpg .

Not sure what are these tiles but this set up is in the balcony and we just wash the balcony once a month; didn't have to bother too much if the bunnies had any accidental urine spots on this type of flooring.

050623_2567_rounddishesmaidens.jpg

Oh ok. so your entire place is dedicated to your bunnies? so lucky! such a big space. Xiaobai generally has the whole house for about 6 hours a day so she still seems contented. Would love to give her such a big space also. MmmM Looks like homo tiles are really better in this case.

Laminated flooring

We know of someone who has 2 bunnies and they have laminated flooring throughout except for kitchen and toilets. They only allow their 2 bunnies free run of the hall when they are home. So far, no complains from them about their bunnies digging into the laminate flooring.

We have another friend with a dog at home and they have just moved into a new place with laminated flooring too. Whenever the dog walks in the flat, there is this 'klack klack klack' sound on the laminated flooring. :(

We considered laminated flooring too. It's mainly the sound of footsteps that we rejected the idea to have laminated flooring.

Marble & Terrazzo Flooring

If your bunny urine on terrazzo or marble flooring, you have to wipe it up very quickly otherwise it will stain the flooring.

MmMm Thanks for this tip. I think super impt le. mmm

Cement Screed

We have 8 bunnies now; 3 bunnies at a 2 storey playhouse that Tom built at the recess area and another 4 playareas set up for the other 5 bunnies in the front room.

Our flooring: cement screed. :)

Our 2nd choice

If we didn't have to consider the possibility of the cue ball or any of the billiard balls falling off the table that might damage the flooring, we would have homogeneous tiled flooring. :)

KK

WAH 8 Bunnies!! I'm thinking of getting mine a companion but mine is a little possessive and got temper one so ... see how.

THANKS FOR YOUR VALUABLE ADVICE!!!!!

WhiterabbiteatingCarrot.jpg

Here's Xiaobai to thank you too!!!!

WAH 8 Bunnies!! I'm thinking of getting mine a companion but mine is a little possessive and got temper one so ... see how.

THANKS FOR YOUR VALUABLE ADVICE!!!!!

WhiterabbiteatingCarrot.jpg

Here's Xiaobai to thank you too!!!!

Sounds like Pimento....he's super possessive and doesn't like any other bunnies to get our attention. We managed to pair him with another bunny who's super "tidah apa human" so when any of us approaches the bunny playareas, he gets the most attention.

It's very endearing to see bunnies grooming another or when they snuggle up to nap.

050119_8955_fhmsnuggle.jpg

Would you prefer to find Xiaobai another lop angora or similar for companionship? Perhaps when you are ready, you could consider adopting a bunny from House Rabbit Society of Singapore instead of buying one. :)

Btw, does Xiaobai bite wires? Some of our bunnies love to bite wires; vacuum cleaner wire "kenah" chewed off a little; telephone wires too. So now, we even make a special opening for the sub woofer in the custom made tv console so that the bunnies won't get to the wires behind it and keep all wires off the floor when they have free run of the apartment. No tatami floor mats either. :)

:yamseng:

KK

definitely considering adoption and not buying. moreover I think getting one much younger than Xiaobai will really cause problems (Xiaobai will be the big boss and prolly bully the new one). So getting one older or same age might be better. But all that have to wait until we settle into the new place. I don't want to have to move two rabbits at one go. I'm already worrying about moving one!

She LOVES wires and plastic leaves. She ate my mom's plant. I tried to stop, but the her grandparents (my mom esp) couldn't bear to deprive her. URGHH it's a losing battle. Will take note about that wire thing. I'll probably have to think about that too when we rewire the new house to fit sockets... :) Thanks for your advice.

hehe this should be a Bunny-safe house thread. :)

hack and lay homo is better. if u do laminate is very hard to maintain and after a view years u need to redo and very headache.

hack and lay homo bit expensive but its worth ur time and money :)

Another supporter for Homo! :) *sounds weird*

mm esp with the existence of XB I think Homo it will have to be. even if more ex. :) Thanks!!

I suggest u bite the bullet & do homo. Choose a cheap one, like $2, some cost $1.90, but they are the outdated smaller pieces.

To save costs, u can try cement screed it, but they will also charge u for this. U can paint over the cement screeding using normal paint, but it will not last, u can keep one can of paint, each time the paint comes off, u touch up. Paint only cost $50 a can. U do like this saves money, but not nice.

Since your existing files are teroh, u have no choice, but to hack away, once u hack, it will incur costs.

Ikea recently introduced DIY laminate flooring, out of curiousity, i went to enquire, and was told that they are designed in such a way that u can dispense with contractor. Very cheap. But for you, since your existing tiles are uneven, u may need to hack, and cement screed, but once u pay for hacking and cement, might as well pay another $1000-2000 more to get homo tiles.

Laminate cannot withstand water, so what happens if your rabbit defecates, u will have to wash.

I suggest u bite the bullet & do homo. Choose a cheap one, like $2, some cost $1.90, but they are the outdated smaller pieces.

To save costs, u can try cement screed it, but they will also charge u for this. U can paint over the cement screeding using normal paint, but it will not last, u can keep one can of paint, each time the paint comes off, u touch up. Paint only cost $50 a can. U do like this saves money, but not nice.

Since your existing files are teroh, u have no choice, but to hack away, once u hack, it will incur costs.

Ikea recently introduced DIY laminate flooring, out of curiousity, i went to enquire, and was told that they are designed in such a way that u can dispense with contractor. Very cheap. But for you, since your existing tiles are uneven, u may need to hack, and cement screed, but once u pay for hacking and cement, might as well pay another $1000-2000 more to get homo tiles.

Laminate cannot withstand water, so what happens if your rabbit defecates, u will have to wash.

Thanks Nipponho! I didn't think of the painting one. but you're right. bite the bullet and take the homo tiles I guess.

I checked out the DIY laminates too!!! I think if it's just a couple living there without pets, they can definitely consider those. They look quite nice also.

050319_0252_gathering.jpg

Sorry for the off topic here but KK, how is the plastic grid in the litter box supported? I use to use a metal BBQ grid from NUTC that fits the ikea tray, throw and change that once it is rusty but now want to switch to plastic.

pinkpetter, your discussion thread is more than a discussion on flooring now. :D another discussion on Bunny-safe house and setup, ok? :)

Sorry for the off topic here but KK, how is the plastic grid in the litter box supported? I use to use a metal BBQ grid from NUTC that fits the ikea tray, throw and change that once it is rusty but now want to switch to plastic.

To support the bathroom mats in the litter tray, we use those wall organizer grid systems from Daiso.

4463_littertray.jpg

Click here for our litter tray set up.

Those grids come in many sizes and are plastic coated. We bend the 2 ends of a frame to fit into a Toyogo plastic box; 2 frames for the white litter tray.

Although it's plastic coated, this frame will get rusty after some time.

PS. We use those metal BBQ grids for fencing the playarea. :)

051105_5378_pppm.jpg

heh, what is the difference btw laminate and parquet ? It looks the same to me leh.

Other than the pricing, I think it's the feel of it. I find that it's quieter on parquet than on laminate. Looks wise, parquet is not as variant as laminate. :)

Parquet, the whole piece is wood whilst laminate is only a thin layer of wood underneath the PVC laminated sheet. That is the reason why parquet will get scratches easily whilst laminate is almost scratch-proof.

Most of the laminates are chemically-treated during production, so termite is usually not an issue. Not for the case of parquet.