Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zirhk3355

Clearing Food Trays At Food Courts...

Today ST Forum got a letter on this, which I thought in a way it is not totally wrong or ungracious. She complained that food courts do not provide proper areas for us to clear our food trays, unlike Ikea or schools where there is a proper line-up for you to put the utensils, plates, bowls, etc.

For me, that is only part of the reason. The main part is the fact that operators are exploiting on this 'clear your own trays' campaign, to save costs and lay off their cleaners, had left a bad taste in my mouth. I have been to a few food courts like Suntec where the operators are pushing for this campaign and most of my cohorts would agree with me that there is a significant reduction in the number of cleaners.

Otherwise, most of the cleaners would be stationed at the clearing area to sort out the trays and utensils, while the tables are simply left dirty. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the cleaners are still supposed to clean the tables, or has it also became our job??

This had became a touchy topic because the easy way out is to point a finger at the patrons and call them ungracious. Its quite beyond me that no matter what you have done elsewhere, just because you do not clear your food trays, you automatically become a part of this ungracious group of people.

The forum letter as below:

---

Aug 28, 2008

Here's why I don't return my food trays

I HAVE become frustrated by articles and comments recently lamenting the ungraciousness of Singaporeans. My frustration does not take root in any disagreement on my part that Singaporeans should strive to be more gracious, but the fact that, although I have never considered myself lacking in social graces, I have apparently joined the ranks of the ungracious. I do not clear my tray at foodcourts.

Before I came to Singapore nine years ago, I would never have dreamed of not clearing my own tray. But at my first meals after arrival, I learnt that was the norm in Singapore. I was actually scolded by cleaner aunties for trying to clear my trays. Leaving my trays has since become a habit.

However, I have gone back to my old ways of clearing my own trays (as long as no cleaner is around to scold me) when I dine at fast-food restaurants and Ikea. Why do I show social grace at these places but not at foodcourts? It is for the simple reason that at fast-food restaurants and Ikea, there are places I can return my trays. At the school where I work (and return my trays), there is a wonderful assembly-line setup consisting of a trash can, tubs for dishes, silverware and cups, and a nice flat area to stack trays.

All the foodcourts I have been to recently have no visible place I can return my trays. Before we become too frustrated and embarrassed by ungraciousness in society, can we provide the means to be gracious? I would be willing to change my ungracious habit at foodcourts immediately if this were done.

Tina Simons (Mrs)

Edited by zirhk3355

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Today ST Forum got a letter on this, which I thought in a way it is not totally wrong or ungracious. She complained that food courts do not provide proper areas for us to clear our food trays, unlike Ikea or schools where there is a proper line-up for you to put the utensils, plates, bowls, etc.

For me, that is only part of the reason. The main part is the fact that operators are exploiting on this 'clear your own trays' campaign, to save costs and lay off their cleaners, had left a bad taste in my mouth. I have been to a few food courts like Suntec where the operators are pushing for this campaign and most of my cohorts would agree with me that there is a significant reduction in the number of cleaners.

Otherwise, most of the cleaners would be stationed at the clearing area to sort out the trays and utensils, while the tables are simply left dirty. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the cleaners are still supposed to clean the tables, or has it also became our job??

This had became a touchy topic because the easy way out is to point a finger at the patrons and call them ungracious. Its quite beyond me that no matter what you have done elsewhere, just because you do not clear your food trays, you automatically become a part of this ungracious group of people.

The forum letter as below:

---

Aug 28, 2008

Here's why I don't return my food trays

I HAVE become frustrated by articles and comments recently lamenting the ungraciousness of Singaporeans. My frustration does not take root in any disagreement on my part that Singaporeans should strive to be more gracious, but the fact that, although I have never considered myself lacking in social graces, I have apparently joined the ranks of the ungracious. I do not clear my tray at foodcourts.

Before I came to Singapore nine years ago, I would never have dreamed of not clearing my own tray. But at my first meals after arrival, I learnt that was the norm in Singapore. I was actually scolded by cleaner aunties for trying to clear my trays. Leaving my trays has since become a habit.

However, I have gone back to my old ways of clearing my own trays (as long as no cleaner is around to scold me) when I dine at fast-food restaurants and Ikea. Why do I show social grace at these places but not at foodcourts? It is for the simple reason that at fast-food restaurants and Ikea, there are places I can return my trays. At the school where I work (and return my trays), there is a wonderful assembly-line setup consisting of a trash can, tubs for dishes, silverware and cups, and a nice flat area to stack trays.

All the foodcourts I have been to recently have no visible place I can return my trays. Before we become too frustrated and embarrassed by ungraciousness in society, can we provide the means to be gracious? I would be willing to change my ungracious habit at foodcourts immediately if this were done.

Tina Simons (Mrs)

We do it at fast food restaurants and ikea. Food court, no cos most of the time don't know where to return.

Ya... and the cleaning auntie like to steal my tray immediately once I sit down.. and then after finish dunno how to carry all the bowls and plates to the clearing area..

Sometimes I suspect Auntie scared no more job if leave the tray on the table.

places like IKEA that provide proper areas to return the trays, i will do.

at fast food restaurants, we also clear coz it's pretty easy (everything left behind is paper)

at food courts, like y'all mentioned, hvnt eat finish auntie come and clear liaoz.

at most i will just put everything nicely on the tray so it will be easy for them to collect and clear and wipe the table.

In a way, what bro MaCe says is true. If we clear our food trays, then those anties & ancles will be out of job liao.

These unties ancles used to be the one standing at the counters/stalls selling food, but cheaper China Chinese workers took their jobs away, so what is left for them is cleaner's job only :(

Yes, businessmen will be businessmen; if there are no gains for them, why do you think they are pushing so hard for this 'clear your trays' campaign to go thru?? Obviously they are merely trying to cut costs - you think they are so free to help make us a gracious society?

I dare to say, if a food court operator promises that s/he will not cut the number of cleaners after implementing the 'clear your trays' campaign, plus provide proper clearing stations for us to use, I will be one of the first to support.

Why should we clear the table if there are cleaners around. Then why they need cleaners for? watch us eat meh? Moreover the food is so expensive. Isn't it part of customer service to clean up after them?

These people eat full nothing to do meh?

Yes, businessmen will be businessmen; if there are no gains for them, why do you think they are pushing so hard for this 'clear your trays' campaign to go thru?? Obviously they are merely trying to cut costs - you think they are so free to help make us a gracious society?

- they can go sing the simi gracious society to those naive sheeps.

this might work elsewhere but certainly not materialised singapore.

I dare to say, if a food court operator promises that s/he will not cut the number of cleaners after implementing the 'clear your trays' campaign, plus provide proper clearing stations for us to use, I will be one of the first to support.

yalor.

for average foodcourts, the takings a mth can buy at least 1 BMW.

Those in strategic locations can rake in 2-3 BMWs(7series) minimum.

The drinks stall alone have sales of $40k(average) all the way to $200k/$300k a mth with only a cost of 20%-25%(product cost) + $6400 (4 workers). - foodcourt operator usually owns the drinks stall.

I didnt even talk about stall rentals.

The amount to pay off cleaning(outsource) cant even buy a cherrykillkill.

Do your math.

What does a businessman wants? more money of cos.

Businessmen prefers gracious society over money? my foot.

Abit off-topic:

This issue reminds me of another incident sometime ago, where news were abuzz on how we should not refill the mineral water bottles, esp with warm water because the plastic fumes are harmful to us. Then it went on to say even refill with cold water also cannot, because the plastic will 'auto' discharge harmful toxic after a period of time.

Then, after reading more in-depth, I realised all these so-called 'research' and 'public education' campaigns were ran and sponsored by the mineral water companies themselves...duh~!

Didn't know abt this. Till now, I still thought that we should not reuse plastic water bottles.

So brother, all these are fake infor & those plastic bottles will not discharge harmful toxic if we reuse them?

Hey. In today's fast-paced society, time is a valuable resource and people often find themselves too busy to cook their own food. Fast food restaurants offer a solution to this problem by giving people quick and easy access to meals they can consume on the go. But before using any restaurant, it is imperative to read reviews to identify the worst fast food chains and not use their services, as they may disappoint you in fast food.