Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ilmare612

Calculation Of Cost For Tile Works

Hi, can anyone teach me how to calculate or read the dimension from my floor plan?

Suppose my floor plan is as below and the entire floor area is 91sqm. How do I know the floor area for just the areas shaded in yellow? I have selected a 600 x 600 mm tile @ $3.80 psf. So how much will the tiles cost be? Note, I only need to know the tile cost. Labour and haulage not in consideration. Many thanks.

t_Block482Orim_88aafff.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

you can firstly compare several quotes to get a feel of the market rate, but this is not really accurate, different pple chop u differently.

to calculate your floor area is simple math, divide the floor area into square/rectangle, convert the lengths into (metres) first, then (L x B) into areas (sq metre) and add them up. Then u have to add in a little more for skirting and wastage. Your floorplate is abit slanted, so give a tiny little more for wastage coz involves more cutting. All measurements should come from the drawing, not from actual.

if u find your flooring is more expensive than others, it's bcoz more Kung Fu is needed to cut the tiles due to the slanting design.

you can firstly compare several quotes to get a feel of the market rate, but this is not really accurate, different pple chop u differently.

to calculate your floor area is simple math, divide the floor area into square/rectangle, convert the lengths into (metres) first, then (L x B) into areas (sq metre) and add them up. Then u have to add in a little more for skirting and wastage. Your floorplate is abit slanted, so give a tiny little more for wastage coz involves more cutting. All measurements should come from the drawing, not from actual.

if u find your flooring is more expensive than others, it's bcoz more Kung Fu is needed to cut the tiles due to the slanting design.

Thanks for the reply. Wah seems a bit chim...maybe cos I am not good in maths :( But shall read it over and over again till I get the geez of your formula. How about bathroom wall tiles then? How do they calculate? Floor plan will not state wall dimension right? Blur

Thanks for the reply. Wah seems a bit chim...maybe cos I am not good in maths :( But shall read it over and over again till I get the geez of your formula. How about bathroom wall tiles then? How do they calculate? Floor plan will not state wall dimension right? Blur

wall dimension, you got to measure it yourself first.

its very simple. just L x B

convert metres into feet

wall dimension, you got to measure it yourself first.

its very simple. just L x B

convert metres into feet

Steady, this seems easier to understand. :dancingqueen: Thanks a zillion.

Thank you to those who made an effort to reply me. I managed to get the calculation done thru the sales rep from Hafary Tiles. She has been most helpful. Just as expected, I have been over-quoted by the contractor by over one thousand dollars. Why can't they be more honest? :(

I also want to take this opportunity to share that we made a comparism on the tiles pricing between LSH and Hafary. LSH's tiles are slightly more expensive then LSH.

Hi, can anyone teach me how to calculate or read the dimension from my floor plan?

Suppose my floor plan is as below and the entire floor area is 91sqm. How do I know the floor area for just the areas shaded in yellow? I have selected a 600 x 600 mm tile @ $3.80 psf. So how much will the tiles cost be? Note, I only need to know the tile cost. Labour and haulage not in consideration. Many thanks.

t_Block482Orim_88aafff.jpg

Thank you to those who made an effort to reply me. I managed to get the calculation done thru the sales rep from Hafary Tiles. She has been most helpful. Just as expected, I have been over-quoted by the contractor by over one thousand dollars. Why can't they be more honest? :(

I also want to take this opportunity to share that we made a comparism on the tiles pricing between LSH and Hafary. LSH's tiles are slightly more expensive then LSH.

Hey ilmare612,

- wat u said may not b totally correct.

- wat u calculated may not b correct olso.

- below is an extract frm my earlier post, calculation on costing of tiling, for ur reference.

- hopes it helps.

:D

Toa Payoh Blk 79 Kakis thread

Case study of a 4-rm 90sqm unit with entrance foyer ->

- base on my unit, foyer area = rectangular area between main entrance & household shelter wall-line, HHS door on 1 side, kitchen entrance on e other.

- tile needed at foyer area = foyer floor area + skirting area + 10% wastage = 5.797sqm.

- 5.797sqm = 5.797sqm x 10.765 = 62.40sqft aprox. 63sqft.

- tile priced by supplier = $3.00 per sq feet

- cement & sand = $1.50 psf (approx)

- labour to lay = $1.50 psf (approx)

- profit by ID/main contractor $0.50 psf (approx)

- cost incur to layman to lay $3 psf tile at foyer = ($3 + $1.50 + $ 1.50 + $0.50)psf x 63sqft = $409.50 approx $410.

- supply material & labour including sand & cement to lay pebbles wash = $350 approx (lump sum normally). Also depends on size of area to be laid.

- if initially was to lay pebbles wash, subsequently replace with $3psf floor tiles, my method of calculating ->

= total unit's flooring cost - foyer area pebbles wash cost + foyer area tiling cost

= $5000 (approx) - $350 (approx) + $410 (approx)

= $5060 (approx).

- e difference between e new tiling cost & pebbles wash cost wil b e additional amount 1 needs to pay.

- it olso depends on how much e pebbles wash was quoted in e 1st place. It may end up do not need to top-up.

- if e difference is very minimal, e ID/contractor may choose 2 absorb it.

- theoretically, $0.50 x 50 pcs of tile = top-up amount is right.

- practically, its wrong.

- cutting tile $150, labour for workmanship $50, 70 pcs of tiles $50 DO NOT MAKE SENSE TO ME

- 1 cant control how e ID/contractor gona charge u, but 1 can bargain with them 2 reduce e amount.

e above is base on my knowledge, prices r indicative, not reflecting current market value or representing any ID/contractor co.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Usually the quotes for laying 600x600 Homogenous flooring is

$1.50 (Labour) + $1.00 (cement) + $3.00 (Tiles) = $5.50 psf

There's aldy some profits gain from cement n tiles indirectly...

(cement costs is less than $1.00psf, tiles sold to contractor is at least wif 10% rebate from the selling price to owners... Tads wat we mentioned contractors price from suppliers... As for the sand, its usually quoted differently in hacking or general works items)

Tis formula can be used on areas = or >50sqft, usually at bdrms or Living/Dining areas... Small areas like bathrooms, kitchen, yard or service balcony, labour costs r quoted as in lump sums...

Eg. jus to lay 40sqft toilet floor ~ labour $1.50 X 40sqft = $60

All contractors sure 'zhao lor'(hokkien)! hahaha

Of cos ID's quote sure tends to be higher than contractor's... Reasons considered...

Usually we use 1ft = 0.3metre (for easier calculations)...

1 square metres = 10.764 square ft (to be exact)

I spoiled market liao...

one question...

generally, quotation that i've got from various ids stated that homogenous tile @ $3.00. from those who've their reno done or ever shop for tiles, how's the quality of tile @ $3.00? good?

thanks!

Mostly made in China. Acceptable, as nowsaday the quality is acceptable. As long your tiles is between $2.50 and best is $3.00 is acceptable quality. Unless you want those made in Italy or Spain which can be $4.00 - $8.00

One thing. you must see, is your tiles for living hall. If yes, than those are normally between $3.00 to $3.60, and ID firm always call it a term 'Anti-stain homogeneous tiles'. It claimed that it can prevent stain like hair or any dirt to stick onto it.

How to test it whether it is Anti-stain, used a Zebra Permanent Marker, I draw a line on it, and used a normally cloth and wipe. It can be wipe off easily. It can also prevent your children from using marker to draw on the floor.

I went to LSH, this is how they reply me.. haa haa