Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Junkay

Before You Go Light Crazy

Hi

I was once like most of the new flat owners, going gaga over 3D pictures and mouth open at how my flat can look like a showflat under those lights in the magazines. But I do not live in a showflat and I dont wish to die of heat stroke under all those down lights.

So here is a poll to advise new owners not to go crazy over down lights cos I think we rarely use them. Its just too hot and impratical I feel.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi

I was once like most of the new flat owners, going gaga over 3D pictures and mouth open at how my flat can look like a showflat under those lights in the magazines. But I do not live in a showflat and I dont wish to die of heat stroke under all those down lights.

So here is a poll to advise new owners not to go crazy over down lights cos I think we rarely use them. Its just too hot and impratical I feel.

Is downlight really hot? Be it 1 x 13W or 2 x 13W.

Kindly advise..

Is downlight really hot? Be it 1 x 13W or 2 x 13W.

Kindly advise..

To me, when I turn on the down lights, I start to sweat. I have 2 at my dining. I turned it on during my house warming and everyone started to feel warm, I turned it off and everything was better. But it did good at keeping the food warm.

Just to be sure, my defination of a down lights are those you find in false ceilings.

my ex-house i use downlights for living/dinning and mbr ...quite ok leh dun really feel warm at all.

maybe its just individual preference also

i think ur hot is refering to halogen downlights? while most of us here are using plc downlights? halogen downlights are hot, wheras plc are like normal lights?

Nei mwerkz.. I know which ones you are talking about.. I call those spotlights. Those I never even turn on once after I checked them. Those are a complete waste of money unless you showcase your art work which I feel that might cause a light spot if you shine it constantly at one spot. It might even burn a hole.

The ones that I am using are PLC 13W lights, I can feel the heat generating from them. But its quite interesting to see how the poll is going.

i voted will install cos there are dark corners in my house...

was thinking maybe can install a few at those corners... maybe 2 at a place ba...

my brother's house also got downlights.... he also seldom on them....

and also using the same PLC 13W bulbs....

Hmm interesting it sounds like your ceiling is low that can feel the heat from the downlights.

But yes downlights do produce alot of heat when turned on all the time. Its very much like taking out fluorescent tube lights the moment you switch off the light. But PLC downlights won't give out so much heat as those spotlights even when you stand under it.

Frankly, I agree with Junkay it is really impractical as you got to work out the cost per how many light bulbs needed to change whenever one goes out. (Not to mention it is tiring to keep changing) My family home has a number of downlights. Actually I lost count how many times did we change the light bulb cos when one goes out, a few days or a week later, another one will go out so end up buying more or extra light bulb for replacement. Its an endless cycle of changing especially if you have alot of downlights in your place.

I have 10+ PLC at my 1st house and for 6yrs of stay, my hb only change 3 PLC tubes.

Now my 2nd house, we adopt the same PLC concept. I have 26 PLC at my new place:

Hall , Dinning & foyer: 2x13W per PLC (13 PLC)

6 switches, each switch control 2 PLC

1 switch control 1 PLC at foyer

Kitchen: 1x18W per PLC (7 PLC)

2 switches, each control 3 PLC

1 switch control 1 middle PLC

Study: 1x13W per PLC (6 PLC)

I feel that PLC with strategic lighting switch points can be quite a saving and energy efficient. But if you like the whole house to be bright bright or you tied many PLC to 1 switch point, then i think PLC will consume more energy.

When I reach home I will turn on the foyer PLC. If I need to watch TV, I will only turn on the 2 x PLC. If I need to put my clothes to wash or make milk for my boy, 1 middle PLC at kitchen will be good enough.

My house will not be in total darkness, cos i always on my alter table crystal downlight (original comes with 50W halogen light), I get an ic changer and get my electrician to change it to a 3W LED :notti:

After I officially move in tomorrow, I shall observe further.

Nei mwerkz.. I know which ones you are talking about.. I call those spotlights. Those I never even turn on once after I checked them. Those are a complete waste of money unless you showcase your art work which I feel that might cause a light spot if you shine it constantly at one spot. It might even burn a hole.

The ones that I am using are PLC 13W lights, I can feel the heat generating from them. But its quite interesting to see how the poll is going.

erms. den i dunno wor. cos it doesn't feel hot to me. n i m basically making use of ur so called hot downlights to provide lighting for my living, mbr :dunno:

ya. n like bakebeans. i dun on all the plc at one area when i m there. like my living have 8plcs. but i segment them into 4sections. so i can on only 1 section once. foyer got 3 downlights. but i segment into 2+1, etc

Edited by mwerkz

I have 10+ PLC at my 1st house and for 6yrs of stay, my hb only change 3 PLC tubes.

Now my 2nd house, we adopt the same PLC concept. I have 26 PLC at my new place:

Hall , Dinning & foyer: 2x13W per PLC (13 PLC)

6 switches, each switch control 2 PLC

1 switch control 1 PLC at foyer

Kitchen: 1x18W per PLC (7 PLC)

1 switch control 1 middle PLC

Study: 1x13W per PLC (6 PLC)

I feel that PLC with strategic lighting switch points can be quite a saving and energy efficient. But if you like the whole house to be bright bright or you tied many PLC to 1 switch point, then i think PLC will consume more energy.

When I reach home I will turn on the foyer PLC. If I need to watch TV, I will only turn on the 2 x PLC. If I need to put my clothes to wash or make milk for my boy, 1 middle PLC at kitchen will be good enough.

My house will not be in total darkness, cos i always on my alter table crystal downlight (original comes with 50W halogen light), I get an ic changer and get my electrician to change it to a 3W LED :notti:

After I officially move in tomorrow, I shall observe further.

Hi

Firstly, congrats on your moving in. I remember how exciting it was to move in to my first unit.

Well, regarding my point of having too many downlights, I think you made a rather good point for me, though unintentionally. We dont need that many down lights. We are just paying more to the electrician for installation not to mention the light casings. :dunno:

And it seems that you have a total of 26 PLC's base on your description but with 39 bulbs! :o

My advice to new home owners is that, we dont need that many of them. Save some cost, the less you have, the more you save.

I have 1 at my hse entrance door, 8 PLC downlights on living room ceiling, 2 at dining area, 1 at corridor, 1 at room entrance and 1 in my walk-in wardrobe.

Purpose of them is to give different lighting moods/effects. I also have flourescent lights and turn them on only when absolutely necessary for the whole hse to be so bright like when we have guest over or reading.

I like the downlights at my living room bcos i have a choice to turn on on 2 in the centre, 4 at the corners or all of them or just 1 at one corner. So depending on the activity, I only turn on wat i need. Usually only 1 or 2 at night when watching TV or listening to music to relax.

Dining area I have dining ceiling lights, flourescent and downlights. Also depending on usage, we turn on. I notice this saves alot on electricity as we don't turn all of them on. Also I don't feel warm le. Unless ur false ceiling is really very low but still, i don't think it'll feel so hot to make u perspire. Halogen lights will though.........