Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
aubrey

Retrospectrum Meets Modernisation!

merryman, maybe u wana check out Ah Soon's quote? My friend who is an ID says his quote is really very cheap and they can't match at all! so my job goes to him :x

Thanks familyof4, I'll be checking out Ah Soon and Mr Yeak soon. Now busy preparing for ROM.. :D

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

to all who asked for contact, i have PM-ed you guys. dont think i wanna reveal who quoted what, but revealing quote is ok. seems like my quote shld be reasonable n can be a benchmartk for a fair quote..

country club

not sure either. some quoted FOC some with cost. shld it be FOC?

Michele, cannotisit, Forcevolt, escahmobu, merryman

have pm-ed you guys. please share yr thoughts on what you got for comparison purposes. :D can check the first post in my tblog as i will update it and it contains the list of ID/Contractors i have encountered. hope this helps!

pinkpetter

i'll ask the ID/contractor on the cost and compare them. i met up with ah soon ytd! very cheerful man and very straightforward. told us what to do and what not to do and he told me, xiao mei recommended you ar? that xiao mei ah, making me very busy. so far got 10 ppl recommended by her. lol! how did u manage to find ah soon anyway?

applefreak

so are u 100% satisfied with granite top? hows the edges along the cabinets like? smoothed out or just as-is condition? regarding the plywood issue, i have yet to ask indepth cos i wanna arm myself with info from here before appearing like a carrothead in front of them.

familyof4

how are your cabinets so far? are they doing good? ytd when i met with ah soon, i told him about my intention to replace my bedroom doors as some parts have started to "come out" which i suppose, is reasonable for 23years of use. :P he told me dont bother getting classic door. one punch and he can put a hole there. told me to get... some other wooden material which i forgot. ;p will check with him again. i quite like him despite being old school cos he's really honest to goodness contractor with real experience. /thumbs up now the test will be his quote to us. :P

yokine9a

do u think u can take some pics to show me what u mean? i find it hard to visualise..

Fanzander

u have a pm!! :)

Edited by aubrey

opps...sorry to know about this. I am particular with the materials used as we spend so much and of course we will be using them for a long period that is why I asked uncle this qn...can Ho Bee change the solid ply for u?

Ho Bee's quote is not cheap, I was disappointed after I saw the quality of my kitchen cabinet... outside looks great, but inside is just lousy plywood, rough & uneven surface.

I didn't ask for the change... they simply ignored me when I askd them to arrange their painter to repaint the peeled ceiling in my kitchen...

Just a guide for you. Have a look and compare. You can PM me if you want to try him.

Demolition Works

To hack existing floor tiles and skirting **** & all bedroom area.- $400.00

To hack existing floor tiles at kitchen and toilets area.- $400.00

To hack existing wall tiles at toilets area.- $300.00

To dismantle one existing kitchen cabinet and sink support.- $250.00

To dismantle one existing cornice arch at kitchen entrance.-$100.00

To dismantle existing toilet's fitting and accessories.- F.O.C

To hack one door way from master bedroom to bath area.- $100.00

To hack one door way from bath area to WC.- $100.00

To dismantle 2 bedroom door and 2 toilets door.- F.O.C

Mansory Work

To supply and lay 600 x 600 polish homogeneous floor tiles **** & all bedrooms area.- $2,900.00

To supply and run homogeneous skirting for living & bedroom area.- F.O.C

To supply and lay 300 x 300 non-slip matt homogeneous floor tiles at kitchen area -$800.00

To supply and lay 300 x 300 non-slip matt homogeneous floor tiles at toilet area.-$600.00

To supply and lay 300 x 450 designer wall tiles at toilets area.- $2,000.00

To construct wall to seal up one existing entrance to bath area.- $300.00

To construct 50mm thick kitchen cabinet base.-$150.00

Replacement of stainless steel rubbish chute.- $150.00

Plumbing Work

Run whole house stainless steel cold water piping. - $550.00

Labour to install 1 wc provided by owner-$70.00

Labour to install 2 wash basin provide by owner.-$120.00

Labour to install 1 instant heater. -$80.00

Labour to install 2 set of bathroom accessories. -$60.00

Labour to install 1 no. of kitchen sink,- $60.00

Inlet and outlet piping for kitchen sink and wash basin.- $150.00

Inlet and outlet piping for washing machine. -$100.00

Labour to install whole house taps.-$50.00

Plasterling works

To supply and plaster over existing wall tiles at kitchen area.- $550.00

To supply and plaster living & all bedrooms wall and ceiling, and to plaster toilets ceiling. -$1,800.00

To supply and install L-box total of 20ft **** area.-$280.00

Door Work/ Aluminum Works

To supply and install aluminum window grilles and sliding window at common bedroom and living.-$700.00

To supply and install 1 nos. of wrought iron gate.-$480.00

To supply and install 1 nos. of swing glass door with sand blasted effect.-$550.00

To supply and install 2 white power coated bi-fold door for both toilets- $380.00

To supply and install 2 nos. of bedroom veneer door.- $700.00

Painting Work

Painting whole house using ICI / Nippon emulsion paint-$950.00

Paint / vanish door, door frame, gate and all pipes.- $150.00

Carpentry Work

To design, fabricate and install 21 ft kitchen cabinet c/w-$1,785.00

ABS trimming

1 chest of drawers

Designer handles

Stainless steel dish rack

Cutlery tray

Hydraulic system door x 2

Box up pipe

Frosted glass door for cabinet

Colour glass backing at cooking area 6 ft x 2ft-$400.00

Solid Surface Work

Supply and install 10 ft solid surface top for kitchen cabinet-$850.00

Miscellaneous Works

To lay corrugated paper for the flooring.-F.O.C

Chemical wash for the whole unit floor.-$180.00

Additional Works

To supply haulage and debris remover.(inclusive of supplying sand to unit)-$500.00

Total Amount : $20,045.00

Edited by Fanzander

Just question to Fanzander :)

I see this item in your list "To supply and plaster over existing wall tiles at kitchen area.- $550.00"

Is it possible to plaster over the glossy tiled wall? lasting? if we drill on the plastered-tiled wall, can the plaster layer come off?

i have yet to get my carpentary done actually...but he says if anything call him he'll surely make sure I am satisfied with the outcome. He is not those sales person who sweet talk lah...can do, he do..cannot do, he advise u...

I read in SG brides that Ho Bee has lotsa complaints since like 2 yrs ago?! that is why i didn't want to call them for quote.

Updated To Do List, nothing fancy just bare essentials.

Hacking of entire house existing flooring - living room , 2 bedroom, kitchen & bath + W.C (my kitchen is only cement screed)

Supply &Lay homogeneous floor tiles for living room and 2 bedrooms

Supply & Lay homogeneous floor tiles for kitchen as well as wall tiles

Kitchen Cabinets (top & Bottom)

Redo bath + W.C floor & wall tiles

Change existing windows to new louver windows (movable alu ones)

Change window in bedroom 1

Install wardrobe in bedroom 1

Change windows in living room & bedroom 2

Install wardrobe in bedroom 2

Change 2 bedroom doors

Change existing gate to wrought iron gate

Plastering whole house

Painting whole house

awaiting quotes to come in all by this week. Will post pics of place after I clean and pack. :P

Hey aubrey,

- base on e requirements, i est. it can b done approx. $20k by Contractor.

- inclusive of electrical re-wiring & basic lightings & standard sanitary fittings & cooker hob & hod.

- wif e same amt of work 2b done by ID & items 2b purchased, it wld b + min. 10%.

:rolleyes:

yea i was thinking of granite but cost is too big a diff so i will go for solid top from msia. i forgot the brand. was told there's another good brand called corian which is the pioneer solid top manufacturer or sthing? just that brand is european, made in msia. -_-

yup hoping for them to quote low but learned the hard way!! so far my budget to them is 15k and they are telling me 25k which is 10k in excess. :curse:

actually have fixed my lights alr so just may need to relocate points.

@ applefreak - some IDs measured about 15ft for me, if i am really keen on granite where to go direct?

got this quote from an ID, is it reasonable to you guys?

Professional Services - FOC

Design consultation

Space Planning

Perspective Drawings

Material & Colour Proposal

Project Management

Demolition Works

To demolish wall **** room & room 2 $300.00

To supply labor to hack wall tile for kitchen & toilet $500.00

To supply labor to hack kitchen & toilet flooring $280.00

To supply labor to hack skirting for living & bed room $200.00

SUB-TOTAL : $1,580.00

Plumbing Works

To supply & run stainless steel pipe $650.00

To supply labor to joint in/out let pipe $150.00

To supply & install 1 standard sitting bowl at toilet

c/w flushing tank $300.00 ($120 to install only)

To supply labor to install toilet accessories $30.00

To supply labor to install heater $50.00

SUB-TOTAL : $1,180.00

Masonry Works

To supply & lay wall tile for kitchen to ceiling high ($2.80 psf) $1,800.00 (mom wants it tho i want to take it out since exceed budget)

To supply & lay wall tile for both toilet to ceiling high ($2.80 psf) $1,800.00

To supply & lay kitchen & toilet flooring ($2.80 psf) $980.00

To supply & apply water proofing membrane $150.00

To supply & construct cabinet base with tile skirting $180.00

To supply & construct fridge base with tile finish $80.00

To supply & construct washing machine base with

tile finish $80.00

To supply & lay 60x60 polish homogeneous tile for living &

2 bedrooms c/w tile skirting ($3 psf) $2500

SUB-TOTAL : $7,570.00

Miscellaneous Works

To supply & paint whole house ( non oriental paint ) $850.00 (+$150 for Nippon/ICI)

To supply & plaster for whole house with Alturas hard $1,000.00 (may take out since exceed budget)

To supply & install 1 set stainless steel rubbish chute $180.00

To apply for renovation permit $150.00

To haulage material to unit $300.00

To supply labour for general cleaning whole house include

acid cleaning for floor, wall & Window FOC

SUB-TOTAL : $2,480.00

Aluminum / Wrought Works

To supply & install 2 set naco window $400.00

To supply & install 16sqf casement window at master room with n/a finish $200.00

To supply & install 48sqf aluminum grills for whole house $254.00

To supply & install 1 set wrought iron gate $400.00

To supply & install 2 set bi-fold door c/w wpc & pvc board $360.00

To supply & install 2x adjustable louver window at toilet & w.c $300.00

SUB-TOTAL : $1,914.00

Carpentry Works

To supply & install 31 ft kitchen cabinet with ABS

trimming & laminate finish $2,790.00

To supply & install 15 ft solid surface work top $1,040.00

To supply & install 10 ft designed full height wardrobe

at master room c/w swing door ABS trimming & laminate finish $2000.00 (may go for 7 ft since exceed budget)

To supply & install 7 ft wardrobe at room 2 with

glass sliding door $1,400.00

To supply & install 5 ft study table at room 2 $500.00

To supply & install 5ft book shelf c/w swing door $1,000

To supply & install 5 ft feature wall **** room $800.00

SUB-TOTAL : $9,530.00

Glass Works

To supply & install 3x7ft 10mm thick tempered glass sliding door at kitchen entrance $650 (may take it out since exceed budget)

Grand total - $24,904

is this reasonable or is my budget not realistic for the things i wanna do? thanks!!

Hey aubrey,

- e quote looks reasonable 2 mi. Not too cheap not too expensive frm a ID, not Contractor.

- s replied above, i felt dat ur budget of $15k is not realistic base on wat u wanted.

- dun 4get to add new furnishing/fixtures etc approx <$10k.

- u oleady noes wat u wan, jus dat u nid 2 ngage e Rite guy who can meet ur budget.

- choice of kitchen worktop depends mainly on how often u gona cook or rather uses e kitchen.

- basically granite is natural stone (tough). Solid surface is man-make fixtures consist of polymers/plastics etc (resistence level is defintely lower). Corian is 1 of e upper grade of solid surface, got warranty.

- granite joint is jointed with 'marble gum'.

- regardless of solid surface or granite worktop, it is sitting on e solid plywood which inturns is supported by e vertical bracing solid plys within e carpentry. It wil not break so easily.

- in reality, cost price of granite & solid surface is abt e same.

- who cares its China or India granite? s long s e stone is more durable than 'plastic'.

- WM base can opt not 2 hav. Depends on how u gona drain e excess soiled water, expose e drainage pipe anot?

- Fridge base can olso opt not 2 hav. Can use e four 'stool' s wat u mentioned earlier.

- kitchen wall tiles, can do e min. Dat means tile e part u gota see only, those areas behind e cabinet can b left bare. Plaster e area between e top & bottom cabinet. Paint finished.

- who say 3rm flat canot change layout? Wif $, e layout can b mirror except e wet areas.

- so who did u ngage finally.

:rolleyes:

Edited by jaCKY777

all these technical jargon is making my head swell. anyone knows what these means?

Supply labor & approved Waterproofing solutions, up-turn 150mm at wall, in Kitchen Floor. - ?? the drop from my living to kitchen?

Supply labor & approved Waterproofing solutions, up-turn 150mm at wall, in 2-Toilet Floor. - ??? the kerb?

Supply UPVC edging for all wall & beams - Straight Edging.

Supply labor & Chemical Sealant on New Plastered Wall. - have never been quoted this. always just a straight plastering cost + paint cost

Supply labor & approved acid to wash all new tiled area. - nvr been quoted this as well

Supply labor to Clear all Debris, during & after renovation. - $420 ex?

Supply labor to install all toileteries and accessories in 2-Toilets. - $280 for this! i think its gonna cost more than the accessories itself!!!!

brb from lunch to answer all else!

Edited by aubrey

Supply labor & approved Waterproofing solutions, up-turn 150mm at wall, in Kitchen Floor. - ?? the drop from my living to kitchen?

the upturn means that they will do waterproofing across the floor and at the bottom of your walls up to 1.5cm

doesn't affect the step from living to kitchen ba.

Supply labor & approved Waterproofing solutions, up-turn 150mm at wall, in 2-Toilet Floor. - ??? the kerb?

Same as the kitchen.

Supply UPVC edging for all wall & beams - Straight Edging.

After hacking the walls will be very very uneven and it's extremely obvious at the corners protruding out. This edging is a long straight material they place at the corners to make it extremely straight and nice. For my house.. the corners with this edging look nicer than the original walls (that didn't face any hacking.) if they indicate ALL walls and beams I assume they will do all for you.

Supply labor & Chemical Sealant on New Plastered Wall. - have never been quoted this. always just a straight plastering cost + paint cost

Are you plastering your kitchen or toilet? or other damper areas? sometimes they put this sealant.. to prevent the paint from peeling easily due to moisture.. mm

Supply labor & approved acid to wash all new tiled area. - nvr been quoted this as well

dun have meh? It's sometimes called chemical washing/acid washing.. :)

Supply labor to Clear all Debris, during & after renovation. - $420 ex?

depends. Are you on a lift landing floor? is it easy to move from your unit to the lift and then to downstairs? All those could be factors. That said.. I've been quoted $1200 just to clear things before.. have to look at the quote overall. They add and minus off some things so it balances off sometimes. Very few quote everything cheap...

Supply labor to install all toileteries and accessories in 2-Toilets. - $280 for this! i think its gonna cost more than the accessories itself!!!!

eh... does that include the toilet bowl and sink and heater? if so I think it's ok. hahaha

Just question to Fanzander :)

I see this item in your list "To supply and plaster over existing wall tiles at kitchen area.- $550.00"

Is it possible to plaster over the glossy tiled wall? lasting? if we drill on the plastered-tiled wall, can the plaster layer come off?

Yes it's possible to plaster over glossy wall tiles. As for the drilling, from what I know if your original wall tiles are not overlayed with another layer of wall tiles it will be as hardy as a normal wall. Peeling nvr happen at my old place ley. Correct me if im wrong.

Based on this, looks like what Ho Bee gave me was china plywood, the cheapo one, bcos some areas inside my kitchen cabinet have started to "open mouth", in less than a year after I moved in :(

oh dear seems like you've had a really bad experience with them

mine is good, as solid as new even though we've moved in more than a year...

even the big drawers directly under the stove for the pots are doing well

Edited by applefreak

applefreak

so are u 100% satisfied with granite top? hows the edges along the cabinets like? smoothed out or just as-is condition? regarding the plywood issue, i have yet to ask indepth cos i wanna arm myself with info from here before appearing like a carrothead in front of them.

hi aubrey, the edges are up to you

you can choose either rounded or flat, i chose rounded

the price will include the profile, the cut out and the 2" backsplash to protect the wall tiles :yamseng: