Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
guy77

First Home

Bought a home at Boon Keng. 3A. $300000. But for the location and convenience, it is expensive la. But no choice.

Getting keys in early May and have been sourcing for reno quotes since March. Private contractors or ID firms all charging around the same price. May be deciding on one who my family think is the most comfortable.

Let you all see the reno quote that my ID quoted (the one that is the lowest from my search and most comfortable with):

1)Design Service: (indicated FOC in contract)

Interior Design and Space Planning Layout

Consultation selection of home furnishing

Perspective Drawing

Job site coordination

Chemical washing for whole house

Floor protection sheet for whole house flooring

Submission for HDB Approval

Arrange of Laying PUB gas pipi

Haulage fee

Number 2 to Number 8 : $21,340

2) Demolition Works

Provide labour to hack off existing living and dining floor tiles

Provide labour to hack off existing kitchen wall and floor tiles

Provide labour to hack off existing both bathroom walls and floor tiles

Provide labour to hack off existing 2 bedrooms tiles

Provide labour to hack off exisiting tiles for main entrance stage

Provide labour to hack off existing whole house skirting

Provide labour to hack off existing sink and stove support

Provide labour to dismantle existing bathroom and kitchen fitting

Provide labour to dismantle existing kitchen cabinet

3) Mansory works

Supply and lay 60cm by 60cm polished homogenous flooring with skirting for living room ($2.90PSF)

Construct 2" thickness cabinet base with skirting. washing machine base with tiles finish, fridge base with tile finish

Construct shower kerb at both bathrooms with tiles finish

Supply and lay 30cm by 30cm matt homogenous floor tiles for kitchen and both bathrooms ($2.40PSF)

Supply and lay 30cm by 20cm ceramic wall tiles for kitchen and both bathrooms ($2.20PSF)

Provide water proofing membrane at kitchen and both bathroom flooring up to 10" wall

Supply and replace stainless steel rubbish chute hopper

Provide labour and supply to overlay homogenous tiles for main entrance stage

4) Ceiling Works

Supply/ install design fiber plaster light box for living

Supply/ install design cornice for all bedroom

Supply/construct false ceiling at foyer and bedroom entrance

5) Plumbing Works

Replace stainless steel piping for whole house (include 2 hot points)

Install inlet/ outlet pipe for sink and washing machine

Supply and labour to install 2 no.s of Baron WC

Supply and labour to install 2 no. of wash basin and bath mixer

Supply and labour to install 1 storage heater

Supply and labour to install bathroom accessories for both toilets

Supply and labour to install stainless steel sink and tap

6) Painting Works

ICI/ Nippon paint for all internal wall and ceiling

ICI/ Nippon paint for door frame, main gate and pipeline

7) Aluminum Work

Supply and install 1 aluminum toilet bi-fold door

8)Others

Provide Panasonic Sys 3 Air con

Provide supply and labour to install Rinnai cooker hood and hob (tempered glass hob and glass hood)

Sharp 42" LCD TV

Design and fabricate 20FT kitchen cabinet in laminate c/w ABS trimming and solid plywood door finish, with 1 stainless steel dish rack, 1 piece of frosted glass door, 1 set of hydraulic pump and 1 cutlery tray.

Additional Items from Number 9 to number 14: $17,740

9) Mansory Works

Supply and overlay 2" x 10" Burmese parquet c/w skirting for 2 bedrooms ($2380)

Provide labour and material for 2 bedrooms cement screeding ($220)

10) Door Works

Supply and install 3 wooden door frame ($270)

Supply and install 3 veneer designer door with level handle for 2 bedrooms and storeroom ($1050)

Supply and install 1 solid timber main door ($520)

Supply and install 1 wrought iron main gate ($480)

11) Window Works

Supply and install aluminum powder coated sliding window grilles for whole house (3 way track) ($910)

Supply and install aluminum sliding windows for whole house (3 way track) ($1470)

12) Glass works

Supply and install 3FT x 7FT sliding glass door to separate kitchen and living room - 10mm thick clear tempered glass with sliding component ($650)

Supply and install 10mm thick tempered clear glass shower screen at master bedroom (L shaped) ($650)

13) Carpentry Works

Design and fabricate 8FT x full height feature wall c/w laminated finish **** room ($1360)

Design and fabricate 8FT Length suspended TV console c/w drawer and laminated finished **** room ($800)

Design and fabricate 7FT length casement wardrobe c/w laminated finished and internal colour poly-kem at master bedroom ($1400)

Design and fabricate 6FT length casement wardrobe c/w laminated finished and internal colour poly-kem at bedroom 2 ($1200)

Design and fabricate 5FT length study table c/w laminated finish at master bedroom ($450)

Design and fabricate 6FT x 2FT open book shelf c/w laminated finish at master bedroom($600)

14)Others

Supply and install 13 FT length granite top with back splash profiles ($1430)

Addition cost for 6FT kitchen cabinet ($600)

Plastering for whole unit with ultra hard plastering compound ($1300)

15) Electrical - $2211 (quoted the max amount but may be lower if do not need so much)

18 Lighting points, 18 installation of lights, 2 13AMP(Single socket), 6 13AMP x 2 (Double socket), 2 telephone points, 2 SCV points, 1 heater point, 1 aircon point, 1 hob and hood point, 1 circuit breaker and bonding.

Total renovation costs: $41291

Consider it to be over my budget but think the quote is quite reasonable. Any comments?

Edited by guy77

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Bought a home at Boon Keng. 3A. $300000. But for the location and convenience, it is expensive la. But no choice.

Getting keys in early May and have been sourcing for reno quotes since March. Private contractors or ID firms all charging around the same price. May be deciding on one who my family think is the most comfortable.

Let you all see the reno quote that my ID quoted (the one that is the lowest from my search and most comfortable with):

1)Design Service: (indicated FOC in contract)

Interior Design and Space Planning Layout

Consultation selection of home furnishing

Perspective Drawing

Job site coordination

Chemical washing for whole house

Floor protection sheet for whole house flooring

Submission for HDB Approval

Arrange of Laying PUB gas pipi

Haulage fee

Number 2 to Number 8 : $21,340

2) Demolition Works

Provide labour to hack off existing living and dining floor tiles

Provide labour to hack off existing kitchen wall and floor tiles

Provide labour to hack off existing both bathroom walls and floor tiles

Provide labour to hack off existing 2 bedrooms tiles

Provide labour to hack off exisiting tiles for main entrance stage

Provide labour to hack off existing whole house skirting

Provide labour to hack off existing sink and stove support

Provide labour to dismantle existing bathroom and kitchen fitting

Provide labour to dismantle existing kitchen cabinet

3) Mansory works

Supply and lay 60cm by 60cm polished homogenous flooring with skirting for living room ($2.90PSF)

Construct 2" thickness cabinet base with skirting. washing machine base with tiles finish, fridge base with tile finish

Construct shower kerb at both bathrooms with tiles finish

Supply and lay 30cm by 30cm matt homogenous floor tiles for kitchen and both bathrooms ($2.40PSF)

Supply and lay 30cm by 20cm ceramic wall tiles for kitchen and both bathrooms ($2.20PSF)

Provide water proofing membrane at kitchen and both bathroom flooring up to 10" wall

Supply and replace stainless steel rubbish chute hopper

Provide labour and supply to overlay homogenous tiles for main entrance stage

4) Ceiling Works

Supply/ install design fiber plaster light box for living

Supply/ install design cornice for all bedroom

Supply/construct false ceiling at foyer and bedroom entrance

5) Plumbing Works

Replace stainless steel piping for whole house (include 2 hot points)

Install inlet/ outlet pipe for sink and washing machine

Supply and labour to install 2 no.s of Baron WC

Supply and labour to install 2 no. of wash basin and bath mixer

Supply and labour to install 1 storage heater

Supply and labour to install bathroom accessories for both toilets

Supply and labour to install stainless steel sink and tap

6) Painting Works

ICI/ Nippon paint for all internal wall and ceiling

ICI/ Nippon paint for door frame, main gate and pipeline

7) Aluminum Work

Supply and install 1 aluminum toilet bi-fold door

8)Others

Provide Panasonic Sys 3 Air con

Provide supply and labour to install Rinnai cooker hood and hob (tempered glass hob and glass hood)

Sharp 42" LCD TV

Design and fabricate 20FT kitchen cabinet in laminate c/w ABS trimming and solid plywood door finish, with 1 stainless steel dish rack, 1 piece of frosted glass door, 1 set of hydraulic pump and 1 cutlery tray.

9) Mansory Works

Supply and overlay 2" x 10" Burmese parquet c/w skirting for 2 bedrooms ($2380)

Provide labour and material for 2 bedrooms cement screeding ($220)

10) Door Works

Supply and install 3 wooden door frame ($270)

Supply and install 3 veneer designer door with level handle for 2 bedrooms and storeroom ($1050)

Supply and install 1 solid timber main door ($520)

Supply and install 1 wrought iron main gate ($480)

11) Window Works

Supply and install aluminum powder coated sliding window grilles for whole house (3 way track) ($910)

Supply and install aluminum sliding windows for whole house (3 way track) ($1470)

12) Glass works

Supply and install 3FT x 7FT sliding glass door to separate kitchen and living room - 10mm thick clear tempered glass with sliding component ($650)

Supply and install 10mm thick tempered clear glass shower screen at master bedroom (L shaped) ($650)

13) Carpentry Works

Design and fabricate 8FT x full height feature wall c/w laminated finish **** room ($1360)

Design and fabricate 8FT Length suspended TV console c/w drawer and laminated finished **** room ($800)

Design and fabricate 7FT length casement wardrobe c/w laminated finished and internal colour poly-kem at master bedroom ($1400)

Design and fabricate 6FT length casement wardrobe c/w laminated finished and internal colour poly-kem at bedroom 2 ($1200)

Design and fabricate 5FT length study table c/w laminated finish at master bedroom ($450)

Design and fabricate 6FT x 2FT open book shelf c/w laminated finish at master bedroom($600)

14)Others

Supply and install 13 FT length granite top with back splash profiles ($1430)

Addition cost for 6FT kitchen cabinet ($600)

Plastering for whole unit with ultra hard plastering compound ($1300)

15) Electrical - $2211 (quoted the max amount but may be lower if do not need so much)

18 Lighting points, 18 installation of lights, 2 13AMP(Single socket), 6 13AMP x 2 (Double socket), 2 telephone points, 2 SCV points, 1 heater point, 1 aircon point, 1 hob and hood point, 1 circuit breaker and bonding.

Total renovation costs: $41291

Consider it to be over my budget but think the quote is quite reasonable. Any comments?

Maybe you can consider my contactor, Ah soon if you know what u wanna do....he might suprise you ;)

Hey guy77!!! us too! we just got our new flat at upper boon keng road too! we'll be at blk 2B!

we are searching for IDs and/or Contractors. ah soon is definitely in our list. looked at the work that he did at one of the renotalk people and it was satisfactorily. think her name is mrspiglet

firstly.. congrats on getting a home!!! Is it a 3-room?

mm 41k for a 3room is really quite a bit...

no individual pricing for each section?

3) Mansory works ($7k?)

mm the tiles are slightly under.. cannot choose up to $3/psf? When I went shopping for tiles, looked like a lot of tiles are priced around $3... I'm afraid of very cheap tiles as I have seen some crack when things drop on them before...

4) Ceiling Works (not sure)

5) Plumbing Works

labour should be about $1k-$1.2k?

WC + sink should be about $600.

instant heater - $200+

Accessories $100+

6) Painting Works - $1k?

7) Aluminum Work - $200?

8)Others

Provide Panasonic Sys 3 Air con $2k?

Provide supply and labour to install Rinnai cooker hood and hob (tempered glass hob and glass hood) $900?

Sharp 42" LCD TV

Design and fabricate 20FT kitchen cabinet in laminate c/w ABS trimming and solid plywood door finish, with 1 stainless steel dish rack, 1 piece of frosted glass door, 1 set of hydraulic pump and 1 cutlery tray. $2k?

About $17k if include the TV and ceiling works ba..

9) Mansory Works

Supply and overlay 2" x 10" Burmese parquet c/w skirting for 2 bedrooms ($2380) Wah parquet normally $6psf? how much is this burmese one psf??

Provide labour and material for 2 bedrooms cement screeding ($220) cannot be included in the above?

11) Window Works

Ok ba..

12) Glass works

ok ba

13) Carpentry Works

seriously? does look a little ex.

Seems kinda steep for a 3rm leh.. :unsure:

and this is the lowest from your list of ID quotes somemore ah?

wow.. you must be hacking up everything and doing loads of carpentry bah?

Maybe you can consider my contactor, Ah soon if you know what u wanna do....he might suprise you ;)

Thanks a lot. I have his contact. But did not call as I have went to about 7-8 reno already.

See how lor. Heart more or less set for this contractor as he can do everything that I requested for and his attitude is good. Knowledgeable. Just hope that the reno works will be fine. :)

Hey guy77!!! us too! we just got our new flat at upper boon keng road too! we'll be at blk 2B!

we are searching for IDs and/or Contractors. ah soon is definitely in our list. looked at the work that he did at one of the renotalk people and it was satisfactorily. think her name is mrspiglet

Ya ya. I looked liao. These days, I am looking at the reno t-blog chat entries until my eyes popped out also. :o

My reno company had some good and bad comments before. However, I think the person who served me give me a very good impression that he is knowledgeable in his works and try to include free things for me. Sincere and no airs. Even want to ferry me to see tiles when I have not even confirm yet. If I choose him, it will be the trust. Hope my instinct is correct...

Ya ya. I looked liao. These days, I am looking at the reno t-blog chat entries until my eyes popped out also. :o

My reno company had some good and bad comments before. However, I think the person who served me give me a very good impression that he is knowledgeable in his works and try to include free things for me. Sincere and no airs. Even want to ferry me to see tiles when I have not even confirm yet. If I choose him, it will be the trust. Hope my instinct is correct...

heyhey...mmm...can share who he/she is? we also have a contractor who sounds the same - Eric from COOS

IMO for 3 room is super ex...

mm :) As long as you are comfortable with the ID. I think it's always the ID that is impt.. not really the company. :) Good luck!!

firstly.. congrats on getting a home!!! Is it a 3-room?

mm 41k for a 3room is really quite a bit...

no individual pricing for each section?

3) Mansory works ($7k?)

mm the tiles are slightly under.. cannot choose up to $3/psf? When I went shopping for tiles, looked like a lot of tiles are priced around $3... I'm afraid of very cheap tiles as I have seen some crack when things drop on them before...

4) Ceiling Works (not sure)

5) Plumbing Works

labour should be about $1k-$1.2k?

WC + sink should be about $600.

instant heater - $200+

Accessories $100+

6) Painting Works - $1k?

7) Aluminum Work - $200?

8)Others

Provide Panasonic Sys 3 Air con $2k?

Provide supply and labour to install Rinnai cooker hood and hob (tempered glass hob and glass hood) $900?

Sharp 42" LCD TV

Design and fabricate 20FT kitchen cabinet in laminate c/w ABS trimming and solid plywood door finish, with 1 stainless steel dish rack, 1 piece of frosted glass door, 1 set of hydraulic pump and 1 cutlery tray. $2k?

About $17k if include the TV and ceiling works ba..

9) Mansory Works

Supply and overlay 2" x 10" Burmese parquet c/w skirting for 2 bedrooms ($2380) Wah parquet normally $6psf? how much is this burmese one psf??

Provide labour and material for 2 bedrooms cement screeding ($220) cannot be included in the above?

11) Window Works

Ok ba..

12) Glass works

ok ba

13) Carpentry Works

seriously? does look a little ex.

no individual price listing cos it is under a package.

i agree the carpentry work a bit ex. maybe have to look at the tv console and the feature wall design before deciding on the cost. i dunno what he is going to design. The study table and shelf is last minute i add in. A bit heartache but they are essential to me.

the burmese parquet according to my id is better and costly than the indonesian one. he told me the price but i forgot liao.

will check with him again and post.

thanks for your analysis.

Seems kinda steep for a 3rm leh.. :unsure:

and this is the lowest from your list of ID quotes somemore ah?

wow.. you must be hacking up everything and doing loads of carpentry bah?

ya. steepest from what i read in the forum. but since i hack the whole house up. haha and changed all the windows. and some bit of carpentry. the price will be more than 30k.

the rest of the quotations even worse. mid 40k.

got one contractor is 34k, but not adding in rewiring, some carpentry costs and GST. add up liao also equivalent to this quote tat I am posting

IMO for 3 room is super ex...

ya lor.

ur aircon is inverter and so cheap. and u bought it near my house. keke. the air con shop jus opened for business this year i think.

mm :) As long as you are comfortable with the ID. I think it's always the ID that is impt.. not really the company. :) Good luck!!

ya. in a way. the other IDs or contractors i dealt with are either not knowledgeable in their quotations when I asked them things or they are very pushy. This one still ok. I met him for 4 times liao. And I still have not confirm with him but he always willing to meet me to discuss more. Good service attitude. So far so good la. Me first timer so a lot of things i also dunno and I will ask stupid questions.