Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
adrian_john

Our 2nd Home In Bishan

YAY i'm glad Uncle's finally caught you! At least you have his quote in hand for comparison. :)

I seriously doubt some shelves like that would require any top-up.. :P

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I seriously think that even before the renovation has started, there has been a number interesting twist and turns. :)

In the latest episode, Mr Yeak gave me a call again and shared with me that he did a lot of thinking and said he decided to take up my reno job in the end. He was very nice in a sense that he apologised for not giving us a chance to work things out earlier, but I didn't think he needed to anyhow.

I guess we're quite relieved that the contractor bit has been settled and now everything has kinda fallen into place and we can look forward to the start of the reno.

Despite there being many bad experiences cited by others when scouting for an ID/Contractor, I am thankful to the big man up there that it has really been a blessing for me and my wife to have met alot of nice people in the process of the ID/Contractor search. The only thing I feel a little sad and bad about it that I'll have to reject Uncle and the other IDs, who have been very nice.

I'll share my feedback and experiences on the various IDs I've met in my next post. Off to MY for a quick few-hours turnaround trip.

Edited by adrian_john

ya ya are you one of the Yeakers now?

if so, i'm really happy for you!!!! i had a real good experience with Yeak and i hope you do too...esp with all the drawings you have done so far...i believe Yeak can help to deliver what you want....

i'm just so happy that your contractor woes is solved...at least you can move on to the next step.... :sport-smiley-018:

@Rondy, PJ and Angel,

Yes, after all the up and down roller coaster ride, we're really glad that Mr Yeak decided to give us all a chance and take up our Reno job. :)

Guess that makes me officially a new Yeaker.

Hi All. Just to add the latest sketch of the Study/Utility Room.

Haven't really got plans for this room, except perhaps it'll be like a spare room where I hope to have a workstation, and also will use it as the general utility room, where we'll do the ironing and also possibly use as a guest room if ever required. A couple of our existing relatively new Ikea furniture will be transplanted here and serve as storage. There's still space at the corner of the room near the door .. not sure if I should just leave it empty for a sofa bed for now, or perhaps fit a full height storage cabinet/wardrobe there if budget permits.

Please do feel free to share any layout ideas for this room. I'm quite clueless with this one!

draftsketchstudyrmreduc.jpg

@Rondy, PJ and Angel,

Yes, after all the up and down roller coaster ride, we're really glad that Mr Yeak decided to give us all a chance and take up our Reno job. :)

Congratulations!!! :) :)

mm I like the layout. It's always good to have the study table facing the direction of the door... mmmm

@Rondy, PJ and Angel,

Hehe, congrates! :D

Hmm, if ur comp is placed there, the light from the window behind will shine on ur monitor. And that's bad for ur eyes woh. But since it's an extended table, ur comp will not always be there? Will u be putting aniting at the little corner at the end of ur study table? It'll be wasted if not. :)

Hehe, congrates! :D

Hmm, if ur comp is placed there, the light from the window behind will shine on ur monitor. And that's bad for ur eyes woh. But since it's an extended table, ur comp will not always be there? Will u be putting aniting at the little corner at the end of ur study table? It'll be wasted if not. :)

that's true...initially my study room table also back facing window..so the glare from the windows reflected on the computer...so we changed the direction of table.... ;)

@Pet

I don't really follow Feng Shui, but what people tell me that one should always face the door. I did the same thing and re-arranged my office workstation the same way too. I guess for me, I prefer to be able to see the environment in front of me rather than suddenly kenna surprise or shock from behind. :)

@Angel and PJ

Thanks for point out about the possible screen glare. Its a great tip, and thus perhaps I could explore putting the monitor alongside the wall or change the table's orientation to one that's L-shaped so I sit with my back to the wall and face the bookcase?

mm ye I'm also wary of the people sneaking up to me part... so I prefer to face the door.

To prevent the glare you can put the screen on the end of the table and tilt it towards the bookshelves so that it would not reflect the light from the window. :)

@Pet

I don't really follow Feng Shui, but what people tell me that one should always face the door. I did the same thing and re-arranged my office workstation the same way too. I guess for me, I prefer to be able to see the environment in front of me rather than suddenly kenna surprise or shock from behind. :)

@Angel and PJ

Thanks for point out about the possible screen glare. Its a great tip, and thus perhaps I could explore putting the monitor alongside the wall or change the table's orientation to one that's L-shaped so I sit with my back to the wall and face the bookcase?

Think if u sit parallel to the door, u'll be able to see pple coming in. Then tat should be fine bah? :)

Will u be using a desktop or laptop as ur main comp? If u r using laptop, maybe u can consider putting the desk under the the windows, and ur tall cabinet next to the window (ie: side by side, and the cabinet at the wall). The low cabinet maybe can still be in the same place, and the suspended cabinets above it? Then when u wana work, juz extend ur table out and sit with ur back to the wall. No screen glare, and can see pple coming in. :) This way, u'll also have more space, can have a cozy corner or a sofa bed for guests. :P

@Pet

@Angel and PJ

i agree with pet on being wavy of people sneaking up so would prefer to face the door and have full view of what's in front. Angel's suggestion also good as sitting parallel would allow u to see people coming in.

Generally, people say that its best to have our back against a wall...something to do with 'sit mountain face...' (cant remember cos my mandarin CMI)

i agree with pet on being wavy of people sneaking up so would prefer to face the door and have full view of what's in front. Angel's suggestion also good as sitting parallel would allow u to see people coming in.

Generally, people say that its best to have our back against a wall...something to do with 'sit mountain face...' (cant remember cos my mandarin CMI)

sit mountain,face sea.:P

Thanks Pet, Angel, Born_Again and Blue_Diamond for the suggestions and also the chinese phrases to improve my CMI mandarin. :)

Angel: I'll need to cater to both a laptop and a desktop.

I did a rough sketch and was wondering if this was the alternative layout you guys were mentioning?

studyrmver2.jpg

Edited by adrian_john