Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
adrian_john

Our 2nd Home In Bishan

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi AJ,

Nice reno. Hee.. Congrats on the shifting in tomorrow. Your boy must be very excited. We planning to clean up first and slowly shift back. Guess we'll be back next week also. Hee.. :lol:

Hi Chip&Dale,

I guess should be 4cm for the front profile based on the cross-section near the kitchen door handle. :D

The Land Line Phone Transfer Saga - My Rant

phonerage.jpg

Since we're moving in this week, arranging for the phone line to be transferred to the new address is one of the routine tasks to do.

So I had my mum call up the provider and inform them of the transfer, and the Customer Service person informed her that there would be a transfer fee imposed; which is normal and fine with us. But what really got me annoyed was that she added we would have to pay an additional $24 w/GST every quarter since we wanted to retain our current number. The officer was saying that my new address in Bishan comes under Ang Mo Kio zone in their system so hence, they need to impose this retention charge.

I was a little puzzled and I spoke to the officer and told her that we've had this line and number for like almost 40 years now and even though we have shifted previously many years ago from TPY to Bishan, and then from Bishan to within Bishan. So now that we're once again doing another Bishan to Bishan shift, I don't see why we need to pay this additional retention charge. I asked her how can my new place also at Bishan, which is not even 2km away, come under Ang Mo Kio, and all she could reply was that their system puts the zone this way. And I also reiterated that its not as though I'm moving from Bishan to Tuas or Pasir Ris.

I told her off that I think the system's flawed and I think the perpetual charges of approximately $100 per annum is totally unfair and ridiculous and I would definitely not want to pay it. I did cite and stress to her however, that I have no problems with the one-time transfer fee as that's fine and expected. So I told her to bring this matter up to the supervisor/manager and let me know quickly. In the meantime, I explored the option of switching to the services of an alternative provider; and found that they only charged a 1-time porting fee. Should the current provider insist on charging me for number rentention, I'd just cancel my subscription.

Finally they got back and said that after speaking to the manager, they would waive the transfer fee and perpetual number retention.

So for those who will be transferring or retaining your numbers in future, do take note of this.

I have worked with Singtel before, not in personal capacity but during my course of work. Their so called 'zoning' thing is really a pain in the axx sometimes. Make project implementation very mafan! But it is good that you got the fee waived. Singtel, quite mind blogging sometimes....

:rolleyes:

Rasp, normally is 4cm one right?

hey chip&dale/rsap, jutting in to answer, :P too kaypoh... cos we also had the same qn when we were doing our granite top.

the std is actually 20mm profile all the way - those which hv a 40mm profile @ the front - it is usally added on; either FOC, or subject to top up by the contractor.

do confirm with ur contractor whether he is giving u 40mm front profile, or only 20mm.

adrian, ur kitchen top is granite right? 4cm?

Heya Chip, yes, the kitchen top is granite and the front profile is 4cm.

Hi AJ,

Nice reno. Hee.. Congrats on the shifting in tomorrow. Your boy must be very excited. We planning to clean up first and slowly shift back. Guess we'll be back next week also. Hee.. :lol:

Hi Chip&Dale,

I guess should be 4cm for the front profile based on the cross-section near the kitchen door handle. :D

Heya Rasp, thanks! Its been really tiring. Been burning midnight oil like nobody's business packing, self-moving up and down and also prepping the bigger and bulkier stuff for the movers to ship over. More details of the move to follow in upcoming posts.

Congrats on your moving in! Before u officially shift in, throw a few pineapple into your house first. U supersticious a not? haha.

Thanks Gantan! I'm not really superstitious, but I did share about my wife (and in turn, she with my more traditional in-laws) about throwing pineapples. But in the end, everything so rush, didn't have time cos' our moving day is also the live-in day, so end up we didn't have time and in-laws said no need since live in already ... Ahahaha, I bit lost when it comes to customs lah - I very ang mor one. Haiz!

Hi Adrian, its coming together nicely. Looking forward to seeing your completed home soon~

Thanks SilverBullet. Very tiring but nice to be 'home'. Time to finish unpacking and also pop by old house to tie up some loose ends and bring back some last bits of stuff, which include most importantly, my computer and notebook.

Edited by adrian_john

ON THE MOVE ...

The big Move-in day finally arrived. I seriously envy people who can start out with an empty house and slowly live and grow with it. I realised that moving from the comfort of living in a place for over 5 years coupled with an expanded family is somewhat of a daunting task. :blink: So many things to pack and shift, and not to mention needing to cater to logistics like minding the children while adults pack, move and unpack. Before the movers came in, we've already been shifting stuff bit by bit in our suitcases and big boxes almost every night for the past week - Still somehow, the amount of stuff seemed endless.

The movers came early on Saturday morning at about 830am and starting loading up some of the fixed items like furniture and all cartons of packed items - clothes, kitchen-ware, children's toys, toiletries etc. They worked very fast and efficiently, and took great care of all the items, particularly the fragile stuff. Some stuff were also packed on the spot very quickly for us to bring along. :good:

As they were loading up and moving, the weather unfortunately took a turn for the worse, and there was quite a heavy downpour, which got us worried. Nevertheless, the movers really took the effort to make sure that contact with water was minimised; even though it meant they had to carry stuff a little further from the shelter. All the stuff was unloaded at our new place by about 1045am and turned the entire living room into a mess. We spent literally the whole day trying to unpack as much as we could, opening boxes, carrying it to the relevant rooms/storage etc. We settled on placing in the respective locations first, and that we'd sort further and re-organise again once everything's unpacked... Looks like that's gonna be the task for the next week.

The Living Area loaded with stuff ... and this is after we've already cleared about 10 boxes' worth of kitchenware...

shift001.jpg

shift002.jpg

The Living Area, at around 10-ish at night after much clearning. Floor scrubbing in process to clean up the home before bring the kids home.

shift006.jpg

ON THE MOVE ...

The big Move-in day finally arrived. I seriously envy people who can start out with an empty house and slowly live and grow with it. I realised that moving from the comfort of living in a place for over 5 years coupled with an expanded family is somewhat of a daunting task. :blink: So many things to pack and shift, and not to mention needing to cater to logistics like minding the children while adults pack, move and unpack. Before the movers came in, we've already been shifting stuff bit by bit in our suitcases and big boxes almost every night for the past week - Still somehow, the amount of stuff seemed endless.

The movers came early on Saturday morning at about 830am and starting loading up some of the fixed items like furniture and all cartons of packed items - clothes, kitchen-ware, children's toys, toiletries etc. They worked very fast and efficiently, and took great care of all the items, particularly the fragile stuff. Some stuff were also packed on the spot very quickly for us to bring along. :good:

As they were loading up and moving, the weather unfortunately took a turn for the worse, and there was quite a heavy downpour, which got us worried. Nevertheless, the movers really took the effort to make sure that contact with water was minimised; even though it meant they had to carry stuff a little further from the shelter. All the stuff was unloaded at our new place by about 1045am and turned the entire living room into a mess. We spent literally the whole day trying to unpack as much as we could, opening boxes, carrying it to the relevant rooms/storage etc. We settled on placing in the respective locations first, and that we'd sort further and re-organise again once everything's unpacked... Looks like that's gonna be the task for the next week.

The Living Area loaded with stuff ... and this is after we've already cleared about 10 boxes' worth of kitchenware...

shift001.jpg

shift002.jpg

The Living Area, at around 10-ish at night after much clearning. Floor scrubbing in process to clean up the home before bring the kids home.

shift006.jpg

Hi adrian_john,

Seems like I have to go thru the process too.. my current house has loads of things.. to be shifted to new house once it is done up.

btw, do you remove all items from the shelves,cabinets and wardrobe before mover carry these shelves,cabinets and wardrobe to the transport vehicle?

As if I have to pack those stuffs/items from these shelves,cabinets and wardrobe to boxes first. Then I think 1 trip will not be sufficient.

By the way, does the mover count by trips or by the items? How do they charge?

Possible to PM me the mover contact and how/ how much they charge?

Thanks!

Doremon2009

hey chip&dale/rsap, jutting in to answer, :P too kaypoh... cos we also had the same qn when we were doing our granite top.

the std is actually 20mm profile all the way - those which hv a 40mm profile @ the front - it is usally added on; either FOC, or subject to top up by the contractor.

do confirm with ur contractor whether he is giving u 40mm front profile, or only 20mm.

Hi beany0811,

Just to check when chose to do granite top for the the whole kitchen top, is it a whole piece like those solid top or there will be joint with cement or some gap?

Chosing between the granite top or the solid top for kitchen. Not sure how to compare..

thus seeking your advise : )

Thanks!

trufaole@gmail.com

ON THE MOVE ...

"I realised that moving from the comfort of living in a place for over 5 years coupled with an expanded family is somewhat of a daunting task." :blink:

Wah bro please dun remind me :(

Anyway congrats on finally moving into your dream house :)

hey beany, for the 40mm, is it that the borders are 40mm, but the centre is still 20mm?

Hi Adrian,

I believe by now wheni am typing this entry you would have settled in nicely. Haha. I do agree moving house can be a nightmare. I threw as much stuff as i could, including some clothings which i donate to salvation army. Trying to off-load as much as i could. But my mum is the one who is the real collector/saver.

My new place is on the 8th floor. Lift upgrading in progress. So by the time i move in, i either take lift up to 11th storey and go 3 stories down, or take lift to 6th floor and go 2 stories up. :bangwall: Whichever way is bad. :-S