Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
adrian_john

Our 2nd Home In Bishan

Hi adrian_john,

Seems like I have to go thru the process too.. my current house has loads of things.. to be shifted to new house once it is done up.

btw, do you remove all items from the shelves,cabinets and wardrobe before mover carry these shelves,cabinets and wardrobe to the transport vehicle?

As if I have to pack those stuffs/items from these shelves,cabinets and wardrobe to boxes first. Then I think 1 trip will not be sufficient.

By the way, does the mover count by trips or by the items? How do they charge?

Possible to PM me the mover contact and how/ how much they charge?

Thanks!

Doremon2009

Heya Doremon,

Been reading your T-blog too. Welcome to RT. Glad you find it useful in helping you out with your upcoming reno. Good thing too is that your early planning gives you a good head start and time to research for the stuff you need and want in terms of design and things to purchase.

With regards to your queries on moving:

- Yes, we did pack most of the stuff from the exisiting cabinets and labelled them accordingly. This was so once we brought it over to the new place, we'd know where to put what. One problem we've encountered though, is that due to the total change in layout for our kitchen cabinets and wardrobes, it resulted in us having let's say, alot of item A, but not having the adequate type of space or storage height as previous cabinet layout - So some adjustments have to be made: Such as alternative location or mix-mashing.

- To minimise packing, what I tried to do was basically, to pack all our clothing items, into suitcases once the wardrobes were up, and make up-and-down trips to shift the stuff over. Its alot of stuff and legwork, but it sure helps. Also, you get to lay it out in the wardrobe, almost instantly, so saves you unpacking, sorting and also even ironing later.

- Charges-wise, it depends alot on the mover. Mine charged me by lorry load. But it also only applies per trip. So that means, they'll load up to as many trucks as you need, shift the stuff, unload them and also help you move it around abit at the new place. They also supplied me with boxes and even helped to pack and wrap some of the loose items which we had previously thought we'd hand-carry or move ourselves. I'll PM you the mover's contact.

Hi beany0811,

Just to check when chose to do granite top for the the whole kitchen top, is it a whole piece like those solid top or there will be joint with cement or some gap?

Chosing between the granite top or the solid top for kitchen. Not sure how to compare..

thus seeking your advise : )

Whole piece would be a solid surface top. You won't see joint lines for those.

But with granite top, there definitely will be a few, albeit if the tiler is skilful, the joint is very minimal.

There are pros and cons with each type of material so best to research and try it out to see for yourself.

I chose granite over solid surface eventually for durability, stain-resistance and also aesthetics.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Heya Doremon,

Been reading your T-blog too. Welcome to RT. Glad you find it useful in helping you out with your upcoming reno. Good thing too is that your early planning gives you a good head start and time to research for the stuff you need and want in terms of design and things to purchase.

With regards to your queries on moving:

- Yes, we did pack most of the stuff from the exisiting cabinets and labelled them accordingly. This was so once we brought it over to the new place, we'd know where to put what. One problem we've encountered though, is that due to the total change in layout for our kitchen cabinets and wardrobes, it resulted in us having let's say, alot of item A, but not having the adequate type of space or storage height as previous cabinet layout - So some adjustments have to be made: Such as alternative location or mix-mashing.

- To minimise packing, what I tried to do was basically, to pack all our clothing items, into suitcases once the wardrobes were up, and make up-and-down trips to shift the stuff over. Its alot of stuff and legwork, but it sure helps. Also, you get to lay it out in the wardrobe, almost instantly, so saves you unpacking, sorting and also even ironing later.

- Charges-wise, it depends alot on the mover. Mine charged me by lorry load. But it also only applies per trip. So that means, they'll load up to as many trucks as you need, shift the stuff, unload them and also help you move it around abit at the new place. They also supplied me with boxes and even helped to pack and wrap some of the loose items which we had previously thought we'd hand-carry or move ourselves. I'll PM you the mover's contact.

Whole piece would be a solid surface top. You won't see joint lines for those.

But with granite top, there definitely will be a few, albeit if the tiler is skilful, the joint is very minimal.

There are pros and cons with each type of material so best to research and try it out to see for yourself.

I chose granite over solid surface eventually for durability, stain-resistance and also aesthetics.

HI adrian_john,

Really in joy to see your prompt reply. ; )

Wow! Renotalk T blog really live and kicking haha..

So bless to have your sharing here : )

Ya, actually it's first time in my life so far.. kind of sensing the stress/pressure.

So have to plan ahead. Actually not much time left for me either..

By looking at the load of things we have in our current home .. it's like mission impossible for me to do it alone..

but I have to face the fact indeed I have to do it myself. .almost fainted .. as those family members who can of help are station in oversea. haha.

Now my message to my search of to be potential renovator is how to have sufficient storage and maximise the space of new house without offset too much on the asthetic..

Mmm.. well just have to take deep breath, be calm and plan step by step.

Renotalk become my frequent hang out whenever I can have the time to do so : )

Really thanks to goodmates whom willing to share here haha

Doremon

Hi Adrian,

I believe by now wheni am typing this entry you would have settled in nicely. Haha. I do agree moving house can be a nightmare. I threw as much stuff as i could, including some clothings which i donate to salvation army. Trying to off-load as much as i could. But my mum is the one who is the real collector/saver.

My new place is on the 8th floor. Lift upgrading in progress. So by the time i move in, i either take lift up to 11th storey and go 3 stories down, or take lift to 6th floor and go 2 stories up. :bangwall: Whichever way is bad. :-S

Heya Gantan,

Well, most of the stuff's been unpacked, but nope, can't say we're totally settled in as we're actually still unpacking slowly and at the same time, trying to organise the things that've been unpacked. Also, due to the rush, we kinda missed out labelling or taking note of where we put some stuff or which boxes we mixed some smaller stuff with other items, so now we've got a couple of things we're searching for. Ahahahahahaa!

I agree throwing out or giving away stuff can be of real help and I've already passed on quite a number of stuff to the needy. Yet, somehow, I think our clothes expand faster thant the wardrobe; and to top things off, during packing, we even discovered stuff which we had got some time back, as well as gifts which we'd forgotten about!

Wah, not being on lift level can be a real pain. I know how that feels man, but mine's nowhere as bad as compared to yours, which is 3 or 2 stories either way. Mine was only 1 storey up before the upgrade came.

Wah bro please dun remind me :(

Anyway congrats on finally moving into your dream house :)

Thanks man. Hope we'll settle in soon after all the unpacking! :)

hey beany, for the 40mm, is it that the borders are 40mm, but the centre is still 20mm?

Chip: What you said above is correct.

Heya Gantan,

Well, most of the stuff's been unpacked, but nope, can't say we're totally settled in as we're actually still unpacking slowly and at the same time, trying to organise the things that've been unpacked. Also, due to the rush, we kinda missed out labelling or taking note of where we put some stuff or which boxes we mixed some smaller stuff with other items, so now we've got a couple of things we're searching for. Ahahahahahaa!

hey AJ, congrats on the big move :) sorry we weren't able to get u before u moved out of st 13; now we're hoping to get an invitation to ur new place once u have settled in - heh, wanna see the real place! do let us know if we can pop over for a preview of ur new place!

wa buddy, congrats on ur huge move-in!

haha... really alot of stuffs!

eh, u hang ur lai sah, teh kor in the balcony?

hohoho... buy a dryer la!

Hi Adrian,

I agree with you, the moving is tiring, no matter how much things we're unpacking, there's still so much. and although I've labelled the boxes, I still take very long to unpack. Oh yah, we also shifted over the weekend. Now the third day in, and we're still unpacking lor.

Borrow your thread...

Anyone wants boxes? Thought anyone would like to have them for house moving? Else will probably sell to Garang Guni.

PM me =)

Hi adrian john,

I read thru you T-blog. Your hse is nicely done up. I really like the idea of the invisible grille that I saw you put on your balcony. Dun mind can PM me the contact? Thanks in advance

:yamseng: Congrats on your moving in !

Congrates AJ! Finally move in liao. :) Enjoy ur new home, and show us some pics when u have settled in k? :D

Hi Angel! Thanks! Yup, will do once we're all settled in. Still unpacking and re-organising. Mr Yeak's brother's also popping by today to make some additions to our wardrobes. :)

hey AJ, congrats on the big move :) sorry we weren't able to get u before u moved out of st 13; now we're hoping to get an invitation to ur new place once u have settled in - heh, wanna see the real place! do let us know if we can pop over for a preview of ur new place!

Heya Beany, no worries. We're still popping by our old place at Blk 197 every evening till Thursday to clear some small loose items. You're welcome to pop by once everything's sorted. :)

wa buddy, congrats on ur huge move-in!

haha... really alot of stuffs!

eh, u hang ur lai sah, teh kor in the balcony?

hohoho... buy a dryer la!

Wah the stuff like never ending siah .... even found alot of long-forgotten stuff.

Yeah, the wind and sunlight quite good at balcony compared to the kitchen airwell, so hang there in the meantime lor. :P

I bought a dryer liao, but it wasn't delivered yet, so bo pian lor, use 'natural' drying. :D

Hi Adrian,

I agree with you, the moving is tiring, no matter how much things we're unpacking, there's still so much. and although I've labelled the boxes, I still take very long to unpack. Oh yah, we also shifted over the weekend. Now the third day in, and we're still unpacking lor.

Hope you guys are getting closer to unpacking than we are! :)

Yeah, its quite a task to not only unpack but organise the stuff. After taking out the stuff, I realised our originally planned wardrobe layout got to adjust or else we can't effectively use the space and fit in all our stuff... ironically, our previous wardrobe's only 6ft while the new one is 9ft and yet we're short of space somehow...

Congratulations to you, adrian and family.

Huat ah! to the new house.

Thanks Reiki! I'm really greatful for all your concealment and wiring tips! :)

Congrt bro!!nice place...happy that yrs finally done up liao also...moving is always gg to b tiring...my turn will come also!!...:P

You bro! Thanks man! Its done up but still a couple of things outstanding lah. I guess for you, you're luckier cos' moving in would be easier since you're starting anew at the place. I remember it wasn't so bad previously for us when we shifted into our previous place for the first time since only my wife and me, and we can take our time bringing stuff over from our parents' place. But now with 2 kids, 2 parents and 1 maid in tow .. and alot more accumulated stuff and clothing over 5 years, its quite a task! :P

Hi adrian john,

I read thru you T-blog. Your hse is nicely done up. I really like the idea of the invisible grille that I saw you put on your balcony. Dun mind can PM me the contact? Thanks in advance

:yamseng: Congrats on your moving in !

Thanks Sleepy. I'll PM you the contact.

Eh bro

So many ppl asking abt the invisible grille leh. maybe we should ask commission from them hehehehe :D

Ahahaha .. I prefer if I can get free invisible grilles for my bedroom windows! :P

No lah, forum is for sharing so we just help where we can.