Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
wuga98

White Stain From Homo Tiles

anyone has this experience of seeing patchy white like stains on homotiles, brushing does not removes this :( . Someone told be that this is chemical seeping thru' and it's normal. Can someone help verify this and how do i remove it?. Thanks.

:rolleyes::D

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

homo tiles are actually same material as porcelin. so if this kinda thing happens, usually it's quite a dead end. Coz the thing is already being absorbed into the tiles.

will acid washing or some kind of chemical wash will help to take this out? I tried to using pressure spray, some came out and lighten. Thanks :)

homo tiles are actually same material as porcelin. so if this kinda thing happens, usually it's quite a dead end. Coz the thing is already being absorbed into the tiles.

stain1.jpg

stain3.jpg

these are the pictures i took of the stains, as they are like something that is above the tiles, i am not sure if brushing will removes anything.

Try thinner with brass wire brush.
Edited by wuga98

care to elaborate? can buy and try if you can give me more details on what this "magic" blocks is. Thanks

not sure if those squarish magic blocks would do the trick. U can try with a small portion first

care to elaborate? can buy and try if you can give me more details on what this "magic" blocks is. Thanks

its magic sponge. Original cost quite alot. U can get cheaper ones from those $2 shop like Daiso, Japan Home or neighborhood shops.

sponge.jpg

Such stains are associated with the calcium from the grout used to fill gaps between the tiles. It commonly occurs at granite feature wall. The cause of such stains is that there is moisture behind and is slowly seeping out through the grout. Unless the source of the moisture is resolved, this will always occur. Granite is porous material, and usually outdoor feature wall, there is always a moisture problem.

Need to solve the moisture issue. If it's moisture from the front, apply sealer to the tiles. If is moisture from behind, or from the top, or from the foor.. then.. repaint, waterproof etc.

This is calcium byproduct.. which only acid + scrapper can remove.

yoongf: these tiles are in my balcony and they are homo tiles leh. What sort of acid should i get to get this clean put and then what sort of sealant can i apply on the top of these tiles? as the balcony is exposed to the weather, i would think it will need to sealant protection. Thanks.

Such stains are associated with the calcium from the grout used to fill gaps between the tiles. It commonly occurs at granite feature wall. The cause of such stains is that there is moisture behind and is slowly seeping out through the grout. Unless the source of the moisture is resolved, this will always occur. Granite is porous material, and usually outdoor feature wall, there is always a moisture problem.

Need to solve the moisture issue. If it's moisture from the front, apply sealer to the tiles. If is moisture from behind, or from the top, or from the foor.. then.. repaint, waterproof etc.

This is calcium byproduct.. which only acid + scrapper can remove.

I wld just use a scraper to scrape off the stains first. Then need to invesgitate the source of the moisture. If just apply sealer without understanding the source, it will make matters worse cos it will mean the moisture will run elsewhere creating other problems.

The sealer I am talking about.. is meant as a stone sealer, usually for the underside of marble or granite. Is clear solution so if painted over tiles.. will not be obvious.

http://www.quicseal.com/www%20-%20proposal...ve%20system.htm

Check out Quicseal 117 or similar. Usually those shops that sell sand/brick also sell such products. Put it this way.. sealer on front of tile is not an acceptable building solution. This is a quick and dirty method to solve a problem cheaply. If wanna really solve it properly, need to rehack and apply sealer between screed and tile.