Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Personally does anyone here think that this Ah Soon guy is overrated? I mean you get 1 person talking and it starts to spread like wildfire. I am not saying he is not good or his price is unattractive, but what I am trying to say is that he is not the only contractor in whole SGP. I see some ppl posts are like idolizing him like........

I recently got my home done. I cant say I found the cheapest but what I can say is that aft doing my whole home, 4 room flat (86sqm) changing the floor tiles, hacking incl hacking the storeroom and rebuild a new one, painting/plastering, rewiring, building kitchen cabinets, master bdr cabinet and many other more, my bill come to about $25k . And its not Ah Soon. So folks out there, do keep your eyes open for other contractors too. Like mine, he has been in the biz for 10yrs now, no showroom, no fancy 3D drawing or anything, just him, his service, good price and also above all good aft sales service.

I disclaim any interests on any IDs. I initially decided to give Ah Soon a miss since he din respond etc. However, someone called me and I decided to give them another chance, and I met up with one of the so-called Ah Soon asst, and guess what, the quote comes up to higher than an ID firm of more than 30%, and on a piece of paper with no company letter head (thats ok...based on what the rest have said). I left after 5 minutes, DISAPPOINTED!

I agree with ncy that we should stop idolising Ah Soon, and to Ah Soon supporters out there, with due respect to all of u, by loading and recommending him with more projects I think is doing more harm to his reputation, cos he really cant cope and his so called "asst"............really and simply cannot make it.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Personally does anyone here think that this Ah Soon guy is overrated? I mean you get 1 person talking and it starts to spread like wildfire. I am not saying he is not good or his price is unattractive, but what I am trying to say is that he is not the only contractor in whole SGP. I see some ppl posts are like idolizing him like........

I recently got my home done. I cant say I found the cheapest but what I can say is that aft doing my whole home, 4 room flat (86sqm) changing the floor tiles, hacking incl hacking the storeroom and rebuild a new one, painting/plastering, rewiring, building kitchen cabinets, master bdr cabinet and many other more, my bill come to about $25k . And its not Ah Soon. So folks out there, do keep your eyes open for other contractors too. Like mine, he has been in the biz for 10yrs now, no showroom, no fancy 3D drawing or anything, just him, his service, good price and also above all good aft sales service.

haha, soon you will also get a lot of PMs asking for your contractor contact :P

Ah Soon didn't turn up yesterday nor call back. We didn't call him either to check. Guess we have kinda give up. We are getting our keys on 2 Jun so we want to complete our shortlist by next week. At the rate we are going, we aren't even sure we can meet him by end of next week.

We just need to move on.

Sohck, u wan to try getting quote from my contractor - his price quite attractive too. But workman ship I cannot say anything yet as my house haven’t complete yet (although so far so good).

Not trying to steal uncle soon business. Just trying to help here. Pm me if you are interested.

I oso had 2 switch to chinese & hokkien mode when meeting him. Feel like buying a cheap English to Chinese translator machine.

Saw those china students using it in school.

Yday noon, Ah SOon flew my 1st aeroplane.. he suppose come pass some samples to my inlaw but nvr came..hehe.i expected it coz i nvr call to remind him. He has been good previously, not only no aeroplane but came on time.. So called him this morning, he say will come down this afternoon to pass the samples.

I think comparing how he was...he has really improved alot in term of returning calls and etc....last time worst. U must really be able to take his style before deciding on him. of cos , for the tight budget people like me, i couldnt ask much. :)

Hi. can anyone pm Uncle Ah Soon too? Looking for a contractor to renovate my resale flat and working on a very tight budget! Thanks alot!

I oso had 2 switch to chinese & hokkien mode when meeting him. Feel like buying a cheap English to Chinese translator machine.

Saw those china students using it in school.

Yday noon, Ah SOon flew my 1st aeroplane.. he suppose come pass some samples to my inlaw but nvr came..hehe.i expected it coz i nvr call to remind him. He has been good previously, not only no aeroplane but came on time.. So called him this morning, he say will come down this afternoon to pass the samples.

hehe, sohck you misunderstood aubrey liaoz. She's ALREADY doing reno with uncle. Aubrey was asking mrspiglet what she needed to help her bug uncle for and how to say =p

On a side note, yay i managed to get uncle yesterday (never fly airplane!) and he quoted me on the spot. But i was abit overexcited and forgot to clarify the details of various items on my quote (like when he say install backsplash for kitchen does he mean the entire length of my kitchen cabinets or just the cooking area etc). Will have to go through his quote slowly to come up with a list of things that need to be clarified with him first.

Die lah, i afraid of communication problems with him leh. I keep on forgetting what certain words are in chi, and tripping over my words...My brain haven't switched to "full chinese" mode in such a long time le.... the last time was in JC during chinese class and that was aeons ago!.... >_<"...

haha... after doing reno with Uncle....... my Chinese improved....... and my JC Chinese was dismal grades.... fail all the way!!!

Tell him your requirement and ask him if he could quote you on the spot (very difficult to get him so you should maximize the time you have with him). He is capable of doing Chinese quotation on full scape paper on the spot.

hehe, sohck you misunderstood aubrey liaoz. She's ALREADY doing reno with uncle. Aubrey was asking mrspiglet what she needed to help her bug uncle for and how to say =p

On a side note, yay i managed to get uncle yesterday (never fly airplane!) and he quoted me on the spot. But i was abit overexcited and forgot to clarify the details of various items on my quote (like when he say install backsplash for kitchen does he mean the entire length of my kitchen cabinets or just the cooking area etc). Will have to go through his quote slowly to come up with a list of things that need to be clarified with him first.

Die lah, i afraid of communication problems with him leh. I keep on forgetting what certain words are in chi, and tripping over my words...My brain haven't switched to "full chinese" mode in such a long time le.... the last time was in JC during chinese class and that was aeons ago!.... >_<"...

i am meeting uncle tonight, what do u need and what shld i say to him?

Tell him your requirement and ask him if he could quote you on the spot (very difficult to get him so you should maximize the time you have with him). He is capable of doing Chinese quotation on full scape paper on the spot.

i am meeting uncle tonight, what do u need and what shld i say to him?

dots... you're meeting him tonight?? what time? I set up appointment with him for today at 5pm... i hope he's not gonna fly aeroplane with either of us =p

Yar, I think I have to give up Ah Soon too. Din get to speak to him, only his "asst" or subout....And till now, 1 week plus still did not get the quote or phone call....

IMO:

Go for Ah soon or other contractor if: -

1) If you designs and knows exactly what you want.

2) Tolerance level is high and can understand the standard of services that you will receive.

3) Slighly (or alot) savings...

No doubt I recognised that Ah Soon did good works at good prices as seen in some of the forumers blog, I guess I am going for ID becos: -

1) I am a design idiot and needs to be spoon fed.

2) I cant tolerate waiting and poor response from contractors.

3) Id allows me to have an avenue to seek redress or complains....(they usually more afraid of bad reputation compared to contractors...)

Cheers

Hi marvin! u r not alone, i'm sure we all had our fair share/taste of Ah soon's aeroplane flying. But anyway since u know what is ur acceptance level, there are a few gd IDs recommendations in these forum for ur consideration too! :P

Can anyone help me, pet/ivy/fannie? Uncle owes me 4 things (my key inclusive!) and i need someone to help me bug him!

Yar, I think I have to give up Ah Soon too. Din get to speak to him, only his "asst" or subout....And till now, 1 week plus still did not get the quote or phone call....

IMO:

2) Tolerance level is high and can understand the standard of services that you will receive.

No doubt I recognised that Ah Soon did good works at good prices as seen in some of the forumers blog, I guess I am going for ID becos: -

3) Id allows me to have an avenue to seek redress or complains....(they usually more afraid of bad reputation compared to contractors...)Cheers

Cant agree more on your point 3. :)

IMO:

3) Id allows me to have an avenue to seek redress or complains....(they usually more afraid of bad reputation compared to contractors...)

Cheers