Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Lilian

Lg Washer

Hihi,

Does anyone has any comments on LG washer? I was thinking of buying the new LG washer 7kg direct drive washer. But is torn between an asian brand and international brand. Brands like Bosch, Brandt...are much expensive. Not sure does anyone has good comments on LG washer. Though it's cheaper, is the quality good? How long does it last?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hihi,

Does anyone has any comments on LG washer? I was thinking of buying the new LG washer 7kg direct drive washer. But is torn between an asian brand and international brand. Brands like Bosch, Brandt...are much expensive. Not sure does anyone has good comments on LG washer. Though it's cheaper, is the quality good? How long does it last?

Well the debate is currently on in the US on either go for cheap electrical gds but change more often, or ploughed for more quality items but changed less often.. Esp in recession hit US where every penny spent is scrutinised. However, do take note, there is nothing in white goods that is cheap n good. But expensive may not b worthwhile, depending on what is the features u need in ur washer.

My opinion is that LG, as an asian top load brand, lacks experience in f/load market. Last I checked its 11kg direct drive washer/dryer has gone down from $1999 to $999/= within the span of 1 yr.With low-end brands this is the problem, if new models do not hit a specific target sales within a certain period of time, it has to drastically reduce prices to survive. If the dd washer is a success in the continental market, the prices would not have to go down so much.. Look at the ultra high end miele, its prices r still constant even in this down market!!Last i checked at the taka rdshow the miele w1714 washer has even increased prices from $3140 to $3180 from a yr plus back.

I suggest a mid range bosch@ around 1k if u r really going for a reasonable washer...

Lots of ppl say Asian brands no good...international brands seems better. Actually i think it all depends on individual.

Alot of LG complaints is that the water leak out, etc...the international brands are well-known for their front load washer...something which is proven to be correct. since they have long history in front load washers...

One has to choose bet prices and quality. I was torn with the choices mainly becos LG is made in Korea and Bosch washers except those high-end ones are made in Thailand.

I was also deciding on Brandt but the only LED display model they have is a 8kg washer, which i think it's not neccessary.

So I dunno which one to choose.

I bought LG washer top load model #WF-T95G00TED. Got it @ $599 with a $100 NTUC voucher. What I can say is that when I first got the washer, 3 problems cropped up. The machine emits a foul smell.Not sure why. Second is that the machine makes alot of noise, can feel the drum hitting against the wall of the machine, and 3rd but not least water starts to seap out of the machine.\

Got LG technician to come and look at it. He managed to do some balancing on my washer, then tried, not so noisy anymore. As for the smell, overtime, it has gone. As for the water seaping out, apparently its from the pipe. Maybe got blockage.

Verdict, I am not really a fan of LG stuffs. I think their products are very surface, meaning make it nice on the surface. Durability and functionality is really a question mark here.

Hmm...ya that's the problem with Asian brands...they look veri good on the surface. The LG direct drive super attractive loh...veri quiet, alot of functions, etc. Was so tempted to get it. Cheaper than Bosch by one hundred plus only. But so far heard so many complaints about LG so not sure whether this particular LG direct drive washer ok anot. So since only cheaper than Bosch by a hundred, I've decided to try Bosch. Of cos, I'm still being paranoid cos LG direct drive washer is made in Korea and Bosch is made in Thailand. Sigh...choosing a washer is so much more difficult than choosing a fridge or a TV.

If I can turn back the clock, LG is out of the list. But my soon to be wife is very particular about the drums. She said a machine with the drums moveable is not good. As for me I am idiot in choosing washing machine, I be better of choosing tv or aircon hahahaha.....

Hmm...ya that's the problem with Asian brands...they look veri good on the surface. The LG direct drive super attractive loh...veri quiet, alot of functions, etc. Was so tempted to get it. Cheaper than Bosch by one hundred plus only. But so far heard so many complaints about LG so not sure whether this particular LG direct drive washer ok anot. So since only cheaper than Bosch by a hundred, I've decided to try Bosch. Of cos, I'm still being paranoid cos LG direct drive washer is made in Korea and Bosch is made in Thailand. Sigh...choosing a washer is so much more difficult than choosing a fridge or a TV.

I bought the LG washer dryer and am very happy with it.

For all brands, aside from drum capacity, spin speed goes higher as you go up the model range.

The LG Tromm WD14331 AD has 8kg capacity and 1400 max spin speed. It is selling for $899 at Courts.

To get 8kg and 1400 spin speed from a Bosch or Electrolux you have to pay minimum $1600.

Its a bargain washer even if you don't use the dryer function.

My previous washers were Thomson and Ariston.

The LG's build quality is as good if not better.

It runs near silently and with no fuss even at full speed.

Easy to use and the knob turns with a luxurious feel.

Your dilemma wrt Korean brand made in Korea vs Reputable brand made in Thailand is a lot like the budget car argument.

My take is this.

If you want to get a European washer. Go the whole hog.

Get the Electrolux EWN14991 $1800. European made.

Or, a German made Bosch or the ultimate - a Miele with honeycomb drum.

Anything lower is always a compromise.

Edited by cromodora

If I can turn back the clock, LG is out of the list. But my soon to be wife is very particular about the drums. She said a machine with the drums moveable is not good. As for me I am idiot in choosing washing machine, I be better of choosing tv or aircon hahahaha.....

Drums must move in order to turn.

Maybe she means she prefers Asian top loading machines.

Tell her aside from efficiency, European type horizontal axis* machines are much gentler on clothes.

*Cannot just say front loading as there are European top loading machines also to confuse things.

I bought the LG washer dryer and am very happy with it.

For all brands, aside from drum capacity, spin speed goes higher as you go up the model range.

The LG Tromm WD14331 AD has 8kg capacity and 1400 max spin speed. It is selling for $899 at Courts.

To get 8kg and 1400 spin speed from a Bosch or Electrolux you have to pay minimum $1600.

Its a bargain washer even if you don't use the dryer function.

My previous washers were Thomson and Ariston.

The LG's build quality is as good if not better.

It runs near silently and with no fuss even at full speed.

Easy to use and the knob turns with a luxurious feel.

Your dilemma wrt Korean brand made in Korea vs Reputable brand made in Thailand is a lot like the budget car argument.

My take is this.

If you want to get a European washer. Go the whole hog.

Get the Electrolux EWN14991 $1800. European made.

Or, a German made Bosch or the ultimate - a Miele with honeycomb drum.

Anything lower is always a compromise.

Actually I have a friend who changed her Thomson washers twice within 5 years. I personally feel that it's up to the individual who uses the washer. If one keeps on overloading the washer, ultimately the washer will spoilt as well. It all depends on how you use the washer. I believe that are ppl who are happy with their LG washer as well...they are always improving and coming out with new technology, unlike International brands. That's how I feel. The Asian brands have functions like auto-off but international brands does not have this function...will keep on beeping until you switch off yourself.

I agree totally with the car analogy.

Actually I have a friend who changed her Thomson washers twice within 5 years. I personally feel that it's up to the individual who uses the washer. If one keeps on overloading the washer, ultimately the washer will spoilt as well. It all depends on how you use the washer. I believe that are ppl who are happy with their LG washer as well...they are always improving and coming out with new technology, unlike International brands. That's how I feel. The Asian brands have functions like auto-off but international brands does not have this function...will keep on beeping until you switch off yourself.

I agree totally with the car analogy.

True. Before I bought while researching, I came across horror stories of LG users online.

But then again, there were brickbats against Electrolux and Bosch too.

If you really dig, there are gripes even about Miele online.

Not easy to find though because if I hv problems with my Miele,

I will be shy to broadcast after spending that much.

My Thomson lasted 7 years with no servicing done and no problems encountered.

Same goes for my subsequent Ariston Margherita.

So the total cost was about $1800 for 14 years.

If my LG last for the same number of years, my outlay will be $2700 for 21 years.

Should I have stretched for a Miele from the beginning?

In the end its down to gut feel and experience.

The LG Tromm range is different from the LG Asian top loading type.

I like the overall build quality and the technology USP I'm getting.

Asian brands trying to sell European type washers have to come up with a Unique Selling Proposition.

Is direct drive a gimmick like silver nano?

No. Its a big custom motor designed to specifically turn a washing machine drum directly.

Its pancake flat and looks like a radial engine in old aircraft.

Normal washing machines use smaller generic motors which turns the drum via a belt.

Big motors have bigger torque.

Also it is better to transmit drive directly to the drum rather than by pulley multiplier.

The LG motor spinning the drum at 1400rpm is doing just 1400 rpm.

A conventional belt drive motor needs to spin many times that speed if the drum is to achieve 1400rpm.

So the LG motor is more relaxed and should last longer and since there's no belt tension, the bearing also should last longer.

That's why LG is confident to offer 10yr warranty on its motor.

I'll take that anyday because the motor is the hardest working part of a washing machine.

Caveat: I'm no way associated with LG nor do I profit if you buy its products.

As a matter of fact, I was constantly steered towards Bosch and Electrolux when I showed interest in this discounted LG.

I countered that at similar price point, the Bosch and Electrolux models are Thai made and are lower spec than this LG.

Edited by cromodora

True. Before I bought while researching, I came across horror stories of LG users online.

But then again, there were brickbats against Electrolux and Bosch too.

If you really dig, there are gripes even about Miele online.

Not easy to find though because if I hv problems with my Miele,

I will be shy to broadcast after spending that much.

My Thomson lasted 7 years with no servicing done and no problems encountered.

Same goes for my subsequent Ariston Margherita.

So the total cost was about $1800 for 14 years.

If my LG last for the same number of years, my outlay will be $2700 for 21 years.

Should I have stretched for a Miele from the beginning?

In the end its down to gut feel and experience.

The LG Tromm range is different from the LG Asian top loading type.

I like the overall build quality and the technology USP I'm getting.

Asian brands trying to sell European type washers have to come up with a Unique Selling Proposition.

Is direct drive a gimmick like silver nano?

No. Its a big custom motor designed to specifically turn a washing machine drum directly.

Its pancake flat and looks like a radial engine in old aircraft.

Normal washing machines use smaller generic motors which turns the drum via a belt.

Big motors have bigger torque.

Also it is better to transmit drive directly to the drum rather than by pulley multiplier.

The LG motor spinning the drum at 1400rpm is doing just 1400 rpm.

A conventional belt drive motor needs to spin many times that speed if the drum is to achieve 1400rpm.

So the LG motor is more relaxed and should last longer and since there's no belt tension, the bearing also should last longer.

That's why LG is confident to offer 10yr warranty on its motor.

I'll take that anyday because the motor is the hardest working part of a washing machine.

Caveat: I'm no way associated with LG nor do I profit if you buy its products.

As a matter of fact, I was constantly steered towards Bosch and Electrolux when I showed interest in this discounted LG.

I countered that at similar price point, the Bosch and Electrolux models are Thai made and are lower spec than this LG.

I guess it's hard to please everyone. And I would also think that it's a matter of luck. Sometimes the goods that you bought from the store happen to have been kicked or dropped or any other possible scenarios you could have think of. Then sway sway the machine you bot was not in good condition so sway la.

The question of whether to buy an International brands vs Asian Brands will always continue. No end one. At the end of the day, it really depends on the individual. If you care for your washer…then I would think it would last la.

LG washer WD12390 (not out in the market yet) is a direct drive 7kg washer. The functions are comparable to an International one, in fact, seems veri attractive. I’m amazed by their direct drive system and there’s an auto-weighing system as well…Bosch does not have this function for the 7kg washer. But I heard stories that the LG machine takes veri long to wash cos always stop halfway to balance the load…well, I dunno how true it is. But this question of a Bosch or LG will always be in my mind until the last min of my purchase. Haha…probably that’s the nature of most women ba.

Not an expert in washer but just sharing my experience here.

My first washer is an Electrolux front load bought from Courts about 10 years ago. Didn't survive the extended warranty. Called Courts but service was delayed for an entire week because they could not decide which subcontractor to use for our servicing. After scolding the helpdesk for an entire week we gave up and bought an LG WF-T6517TC instead.

The LG lasted us till today, still in pretty good condition.

We recently bought a new house and have bought another LG, the WD-1250ERD from Harvey Norman, this time without extended warranty. Have not had a chance to use it yet but glad to say that our experience with LG is so far so good.

Picture of WD-1250ERD:

LGWD1250ERD.jpg

Edited by sohck

I guess it's hard to please everyone. And I would also think that it's a matter of luck. Sometimes the goods that you bought from the store happen to have been kicked or dropped or any other possible scenarios you could have think of. Then sway sway the machine you bot was not in good condition so sway la.

The question of whether to buy an International brands vs Asian Brands will always continue. No end one. At the end of the day, it really depends on the individual. If you care for your washer…then I would think it would last la.

LG washer WD12390 (not out in the market yet) is a direct drive 7kg washer. The functions are comparable to an International one, in fact, seems veri attractive. I’m amazed by their direct drive system and there’s an auto-weighing system as well…Bosch does not have this function for the 7kg washer. But I heard stories that the LG machine takes veri long to wash cos always stop halfway to balance the load…well, I dunno how true it is. But this question of a Bosch or LG will always be in my mind until the last min of my purchase. Haha…probably that’s the nature of most women ba.

There is no such thing as a perfect machine. N i agree that even pedigrees like miele or aeg do have problems sometimes, as ultimately it depends on the user. What u put in matters, like do u wash king size duvets n so on. If so, prepare for future suspensions problems. However, my preference on continental brands stems from observations n consumer reviews worldwide,. Lg, i would'nt say is bad, but if to choose between them and a mid range bosch i will still go for bosch. To quote from the umbrella of technicians body in the uk, www.washerhelp.co.uk, " Lg is quite new in this direct drive technology to give a favourable opinion on its effectiveness.

And also, I gave favourable marks to old makes like Aeg(no more in the market), old thomson( before it was bought by brandt), Bosch, electrolux, and the rolls royce brand,Miele, is because they have been around for 100 yrs and been reliable till now.. Without the need for dd motors,their suspensions and belt never gave way before. So its ironic that Lg came out and say this is better, or the steam wash kills bacteria.as what I know, 60deg hot washes kills all bacteria already..

Anyway , this is all personal opinions on my part.. Happy shopping.

...And also, I gave favourable marks to old makes like Aeg(no more in the market), old thomson( before it was bought by brandt), Bosch, electrolux, and the rolls royce brand,Miele, is because they have been around for 100 yrs and been reliable till now.. Without the need for dd motors,their suspensions and belt never gave way before. So its ironic that Lg came out and say this is better, or the steam wash kills bacteria.as what I know, 60deg hot washes kills all bacteria already..

Anyway , this is all personal opinions on my part.. Happy shopping.

According to your logic.

Piston engines have been a round a lot longer.

So Frank Whittle need not have invented the jet engine.

Old is best. Keep things the way they are.

I'm not against the reputable brands.

If you have the budget do go for the high end Bosch or Electrolux

What I'm against is blind faith in badging.

No way you are getting the same quality and features if you're getting their middling Thai made range.

You also quoted only one part of washerhelp.co.uk

The quote that gave me confidence to go for the LG was..

"The LG washing machine is easy to work on from a repairman's point of view and looks like a decent product."

All this is only my humble opinion of course.

What I guarantee though is no twisting of logic or blinkered luddism.

Ya I guess it's all up to the user. Like I said, I have heard of the pros and cons of both an International and Asian Washers. At the end of the day, I guess it's up to the user how he/she uses the washer.

I do agree that if you wanna buy a good washer...then of cos Miele but now economic crisis...so is it worth to spend 3k on a washer? Well, I definitely wouldn't do that.

And if I were to buy a Bosch which is made in Thailand…I might as well buy a LG washer which is made in Korea. So if I were to choose a Bosch, why not top up a few hundred dollars to buy one which is made in Germany? But it’s a 8kg washer which consume more water and energy. So many factors to consider.

Woman being woman la…so many things to consider and one thing for sure, I definitely wouldn’t want to regret buying a washer which breaks down easily.

Bosch or LG…haha…