Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mylife317

I Need Advice Asap :(

hey,

The previous owner knocked down the wall of the study room (to turn it into a dining room). Instead he build this arch using concrete. I had recently engaged a contractor to erect a wall cos I would like to use it as a bedroom. He quoted 1k (including door frame and door). Now that the contractor has seen the arch, he said I must top up cos it's made of concrete. Basically i've to pay additional $180 to hack (and clear debris) the arch and the pillars on both sides and another $250 to use chemical compound to seal the crack area.

Is this reasonable? I'm really on a tight budget and obviously not happy to pay another $430 :curse:

U can view the pic of the arch from the link below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39371053@N07/.../in/dateposted/

Edited by mylife317

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
i suggest that you get another contractor to quote for comparison. :)

thanks for the advice :) Unfortunately I agreed to the additional cost. Had to start work to the room asap. The consolation thing is I managed to cut down the price to $350.

actually 1k sounds cheap for the door frame/door and labour/material involved. frame and door should be around 600 already i think? with the 'arch' they prolly can't 'add-on' to the exsiting wall thus gotta hack and erect a new one. actually his quote sounds reasonable and can see the need in paying for it. but of course there might be others cheaper then him out there. :dunno:

actually 1k sounds cheap for the door frame/door and labour/material involved. frame and door should be around 600 already i think? with the 'arch' they prolly can't 'add-on' to the exsiting wall thus gotta hack and erect a new one. actually his quote sounds reasonable and can see the need in paying for it. but of course there might be others cheaper then him out there. :dunno:

Actually 1K++ is considered cheap for all these items.

Actually 1K++ is considered cheap for all these items.

Really? Am so glad to hear that ;) It's my first time doing reno so I'm clueless abt all these costings. I was advised that it cost $1k (or slightly less) to erect the wall. I just get paranoid when contractor asked me to 'top up'. I shudder whenever i hear those words :D Appreciate all the advice!!

Rolexboy...*speechless* :bangwall:

Really? Am so glad to hear that ;) It's my first time doing reno so I'm clueless abt all these costings. I was advised that it cost $1k (or slightly less) to erect the wall. I just get paranoid when contractor asked me to 'top up'. I shudder whenever i hear those words :D Appreciate all the advice!!

Yes it really consider cheap for $1K. What I knew is, it normally cost ard $1.3K - $1.6K to hack, everything and erect a new wall for that size. So yours is still consider cheap, don't worry :good:

You are welcome. Below is the rough quote for the items relating to your reno.

Supply & Install concreate partition wall. - 950

Door frame - 250

Solid timber door - 350

Patch smooth the area - 200

Above not including hacking of existing arch. :)

You are welcome. Below is the rough quote for the items relating to your reno.

Supply & Install concreate partition wall. - 950

Door frame - 250

Solid timber door - 350

Patch smooth the area - 200

Above not including hacking of existing arch. :)

Wah! Sounds like I saved quite a bit :) I'm happy with the progress of my reno so far. My mbr toilet is almost done and I'm happy with the workmanship. Right now the contractor is working on the wall :)