Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
koxxic

Any Sembawang Homers?

Hi all SBW Homers

I'll will be selecting my sbw flat(sbw green) on this thurs(walk-in selection). Juz wanna find out from u all abt the area:

1) I saw quite a few foreign laboureres cycling ard the area. Juz wondering if there are any workers quarters nearby, esp near the shipyard?

2) SBW Green seems to be quite near the shipyard & the senoko power station. Does anyone has any issue with dust or air quality prob near there?

Glad if someone can advise pls. Tks!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I'm getting my keys in 14-Nov-07. Hurray! :dancingqueen:

we went to activate the electricity and water supply on Level 2 of hdb hub. then when we went to our home, we swtiched it on ourselves but i duno where la my hubby n ID do.. hehe... either outside or the box in the kitchen...

Hi Candy, Did you activiate the electricity and water supply and go to your home on the same day? If yes, is there water and electricity when you are there?

I asked my ID to go to check defect on the same day when I get my keys.... Hope there is water and electricity when we get there. Because of my tight schedules and my colleagues taking leave, I have no other time to go down to check defect during day time. :notti:

hey everyone,

im going to be your new neighbor!! just got in thru hdb balloting in october 2007.

haiz... my flat is going through total revamp and will get the key only early jan'2008 or mar'2008. i think it should have many defects since no one is staying in that unit since it was build till now.

what are the things to take note?? how long in advance to i have to activate the electricity, water supply

its so far!:dancingqueen:! any suggestion and advice for the flat there??

Edited by miracleoflove

I'm getting my keys in 14-Nov-07. Hurray! :sport-smiley-004:

Hi Candy, Did you activiate the electricity and water supply and go to your home on the same day? If yes, is there water and electricity when you are there?

I asked my ID to go to check defect on the same day when I get my keys.... Hope there is water and electricity when we get there. Because of my tight schedules and my colleagues taking leave, I have no other time to go down to check defect during day time. :bangwall:

hmmm when we got the keys, we went 2nd flr to open the pub acct... then they told us how to on it.. so after that we went to the flat to see see look look as well as manually on the water & electricity... we flushed the toilets & tested the tap and there is water lor... for electricity, we brought along those tester to plug into the socket and check for light lor... all working lo... but the pub at hdb also told us they will send someone down the next day to check ... shld be done already bah...

now jus waitin for id to apply permit & defect list then start reno... he keeps saying once start wil be done very fast... i told him as long as by end dec all done properly cn le... the electricians have already started doing the wirings... we leave it mostly to our ID to do for us... heh... i told him to inform once they start so i cn check in on progress... actually quite mafan to jus go down to see the plc... a bit out of the way for now... hehe

hmmm when we got the keys, we went 2nd flr to open the pub acct... then they told us how to on it.. so after that we went to the flat to see see look look as well as manually on the water & electricity... we flushed the toilets & tested the tap and there is water lor... for electricity, we brought along those tester to plug into the socket and check for light lor... all working lo... but the pub at hdb also told us they will send someone down the next day to check ... shld be done already bah...

now jus waitin for id to apply permit & defect list then start reno... he keeps saying once start wil be done very fast... i told him as long as by end dec all done properly cn le... the electricians have already started doing the wirings... we leave it mostly to our ID to do for us... heh... i told him to inform once they start so i cn check in on progress... actually quite mafan to jus go down to see the plc... a bit out of the way for now... hehe

HEHE got my key today... i also went to 2nd floor to apply water and electric supply. But today sembawang raining then we forgot to bring bulbs for testing so cant see anything veri dark... tomorrow then we will go again.. :unsure:

Today went down to the flat again... noticed the toilet bowls flushing button is rusty (green rough stains) for both toilets. Cos we will be changing the whole MBR toilet to our dream toilet so is not an issue for the toilet bowl. we will leave the common toilet as it is given by HDB.. but the common toilet not only the toilet bowl flush botton is rusty the hinge of the toilet door also rusty then the door frame is stained brown by the rust. U guys think i can request HDB to change me new toilet bowl and door for common toilet? !! How do i get them to do it and there is a time frame of 7 days inspection izit?? need advice.. thanks

my ID also say without hacking he can finish reno in less than a week... then i went speechless cos im thinking can finish so fast then the workmanship !! will be jialat hahaha... for me so long b4 cny can move in happy enough le no need to rush !!

Dear all....

I am planning to relocate my MBR door. Therefore I will only have 1 door which opens to 2 different rooms (study and MBR). Saving money will like to re use the existing MBR door. But unfortunatly the door open from right. The new door should be open from the left... :bangwall:

Anyone removing the doors in the hse which opens from the left? (with door knob on the left) will greatly appreciate very willing to exchange my door with you.... !!

Dear all....

I am planning to relocate my MBR door. Therefore I will only have 1 door which opens to 2 different rooms (study and MBR). Saving money will like to re use the existing MBR door. But unfortunatly the door open from right. The new door should be open from the left... ;)

Anyone removing the doors in the hse which opens from the left? (with door knob on the left) will greatly appreciate very willing to exchange my door with you.... :furious:

combining the MBR and study room will make your 'MBR super huge'. how does ur layout look like? care to show us your floorplan or 3D pic..

how much is the damage..

Hi all SBW Homers

I'll will be selecting my sbw flat(sbw green) on this thurs(walk-in selection). Juz wanna find out from u all abt the area:

1) I saw quite a few foreign laboureres cycling ard the area. Juz wondering if there are any workers quarters nearby, esp near the shipyard?

2) SBW Green seems to be quite near the shipyard & the senoko power station. Does anyone has any issue with dust or air quality prob near there?

Glad if someone can advise pls. Tks!

hi, my unit is currently under reno. once i got the time, i will start to upload pix for all to view. juz simple reno coz dun fancy ID, hb n me juz get contractor to do. we draw and instruct them on wat we want and they will suggest for any alterations base on site constraints. so we lower our reno costs in this way. i find feature wall no use but each hv his own view, some like, some dun like. mine is $26k including whole unit air-coned :good:

$26k which include:

living rm:

- shoe & multipurpose full height cabinets

- low bench cum cabinet (3/4 of living rm)

Balcony:

- shelf to slot into kink area for putting decorative items

- overlay tiles + blue mosaic border (coz can't find similar tiles like HDB ones)

study rm:

- full height cabinet

- half top height cabinet

- study table (built coz we hv odd angle and those off the rack table cannot fit in)

kitchen:

- temper glass separating kitchen & living rm

- top & bottom cabinet with base

- dish rack

- pull out racks

- solid table top

- flexible tap (the new type, this one cost me $300 ;) , lucky hb agree to buy for me :( )

- undermount sink (sink installation by contractor, sink buy at ikea coz i need a smaller dimension sink due to space constraints in kitchen area)

- no fridge and washing machine base coz not practical, we dun wash floor like splashing water all over the floor and also these machines hv a base themself, so can save $

Service Balcony:

- kerb to suround service balcony drain hole for washing machine use coz puting washing machine there

MBR:

- wardrobe

Bedrm 1:

- wardrobe

Bedrm 2:

Bomb shelter / store:

- wooden racks

common toilet:

- rain shower set type 1

- heater

- mirror

- toilet corner shef

- towel rack

- grip bar (for old & clumsy ppl like me.... wait scare fall down in toilet or squat down cannot come up ;) )

- wc toilet (seating type) provided by HDB

- sink & tap by HDB

- dun nid shower curtain coz i want this toilet to be big juz in case i want to wash clothes, put plastic tub inside for pong pong 8| or play water with kids :wub: ... opps , help kids bath, or old folks in wheel chair can hv easy assess

MBR toilet:

- rain shower set type 2

- mirror

- toilet corner shef

- towel rack

- grip bar (for old & clumsy ppl like me.... wait scare fall down in toilet or squat down cannot come up ;) )

- wc toilet (seating type) provided by HDB

- vanity top & tap by HDB

- temper glass shower curtain coz this toilet i want it to be dryer

Casement Windows:

- service balcony

- balcony

Grilles:

- service balcony

- balcony

- study rm

air-con:

- whole flat

- 1 set of system 4 + 1 set of system 1 (12k btu type)

painting:

- whole unit, each rm different color :wub:

as for your questions...

1) these workers are from sembawang shipyard. not staying at sembawang. and some are from the nearby constrn sites. but for housing wise, their employers are supposed to house them in proper house with full facilities, eg. cooking, washing, bedroom, living room, fridge, tv, etc. if not its against MOM rule and employers might kana complain and boss may kana fine and jail.

2) i dun know exactly where SBW green location is. but senoko power station quite far lah. as for dust, the other time on news, there are reports of black dusts, these dusts where reportedly from the shipyard, not the power station. these dusts are due to sand blasting of ships (those big ones) but so far, my area din kana any, btw, my blk is 468 area, the blue windows round D&B blks.

maybe, those who kana black dusts are those blks nearer to the shipyard or facing shipyard that side. :P i oso hope those who experience black dusts can share their experience or observations with us.

wow leen ur reno list looks good with that price! jus wondering, is it including electrical as well?

no, electrical works are extra. lights are extra also (we already went to choose wat we want before reno started). electrical works are dependent on how many pts you need, same like scv pts.

and these will be affected by:

1) the place you will be using eg. stove, rice cooker, tv, fridge, etc. most of the neccessary electrical items that must be on all the time

2) if your cabinet juz nice cover the pt that HDB given, den you hv to shift and it cost $ also lor...

but hb and i dun want downlights so save abit coz our experience is downlight burst easily unless you get ex type. although downlight can create atmosphere and lighting effect, not so functional for homes.

oh ya, dun forget im not doing major tiling or hacking works, so i dun nid to spend more $ for that.

Edited by leen

no, electrical works are extra. lights are extra also (we already went to choose wat we want before reno started). electrical works are dependent on how many pts you need, same like scv pts.

1) the place you will be using eg. stove, rice cooker, tv, fridge, etc. most of the neccessary electrical items that must be on all the time

2) if your cabinet juz nice cover the pt that HDB given, den you hv to shift and it cost $ also lor...

but hb and i dun want downlights so save abit coz our experience is downlight burst easily unless you get ex type. although downlight can create atmosphere and lighting effect, not so functional for homes.

oh ya, dun forget im not doing major tiling or hacking works, so i dun nid to spend more $ for that.

hi leen, ur quotation looks not bad. :furious: btw did ur contractor quote u the electrical work yet? cos my quotation also not including the electrical work i wonder how much it will cost. how about shifting points? how much they charge u?

hi leen, ur quotation looks not bad. :o btw did ur contractor quote u the electrical work yet? cos my quotation also not including the electrical work i wonder how much it will cost. how about shifting points? how much they charge u?

hi blackapple, my above reply to princess already state my quote dun include electrical works. usually for reno, electrical are not inlcuded, its a separate item.

in constrn line, electrical lightings, points and conduits are call as electrical fittings, electrical fittings c/w conduit or electrical fittings (1 item), conduit (1 item) or electrical fittings w/o fittings.

term as this is bcoz easiler to price for by electrical contractor. but must clarify with contractor, and best is to get them to write down in black and white what items that are quoted / included to prevent misunderstanding.

electrical fittings - may include electrical points, cabling and conduit

electrical fittings c/w conduit - meaning include electrical points, cabling come with conduit

electrical fittings (1 item) - may include electrical points and cabling only. and they may quote conduit (1 item) separately.

electrical fittings w/o fittings - electrical points only

the price differs not only for the above but also whether is it concealed or exposed type. generally, if for premium flat, where HDB had provided most of the points ready for use, try to use them as much as possible, this will help to save abit of electrical costs.

generally, the price i put here are as a guide for all only. conceal is where all electrical connections run inside the wall type, exposed are those old type of socket point where its those bulky type but also much cheaper.

shifting of points eg lengthing the points as cabinet covered the existing ones (is provided free by my contractor). if extensive shifting from 1 location to another location, its consider a pt already so contractor definitely will charge.

concealed type:

1) supply and install lighting point - $35 to $40 per pt

2) install light fitting - $9 to $10 per pt (lighting supplied by owner)

3) 1x13 single socket pt - $65 to $68 per pt

4) 2x23 double socket point - $75 to $78 per pt

exposed type:

1) supply and install lighting point - $28 to $30 per pt

2) install light fitting - $9 to $10 per pt (lighting supplied by owner)

3) 1x13 single socket pt - $40 to $45 per pt

4) 2x23 double socket point - $50 to $55 per pt

other special pt where price is standard charge in the mkt:

1) scv pt (this is the most expensive one) - $150 per pt

2) telephone pt - $40 to $50 per pt

3) air-con pt - $80 per pt

the electrical pricing above is quite standard in the constrn mkt, they couldnt quote you $100 per pt unless you hv extensive running of cables. of coz, if bulk tender price, it could be cheaper but the price around there only.

for electrical pts, you hv to consider area by area and on things like the following (for example as a guide) and best is to list out a list base on your needs and the designed hse or after renovated hse situation, of coz some of the pts can be shared, eg. if hair dryer is not used, it can be used for shaving or fans and you can save from doing extra more unneeded pts.

kitchen

1) the place you put your stove, fridge, microwave oven, oven, rice cooker, etc., are there any pt required for these items or are the pts already provided there?

2) any other electrical items require to plug in? eg. toaster, hot water pot, etc.

3) extra pts for other items?

living rm

1) pts for standing floor lights?

2) pts for tv?

3) pts for sound system?

4) pts for dvd player, video etc.?

5) pts for fan?

6) scv pt?

7) telephone pts?

8) extra pts for other items?

study rm

1) pts for study lamp?

2) pts for fan?

3) extra pts for other items?

4) telephone pt for internet?

service balcony

1) pts for washing machine (if you put your washing machine here?)?

2) extra pts for other items?

balcony

1) extra pts for other items?

bedrms

1) pts for standing lamps?

2) pts for dressing table lamp?

3) pts for hair dryer, shaving items etc.

4) pts for fan?

6) scv pt?

7) telephone pts?

8) extra pts for other items?

bomb shelter

1) extra pts for other items?

2) remember that most of these shelters are provided with 1 electrical pt, 1 scv pt and 1 telephone pt.

air-con ledge

1) air-con pt

toilets (i don't like having pts at toilet due to humidity factors and safety issue, so for all my toilet, i didnt put electrical pts)

1) pts for shaving?

2) extra pts for other items?

the above is only a guide for easy listing. you may hv your own needs so by listing down carefully, you will be able to guage how many pts you need and roughly hw much you will need to spend on electrical works. and if you can negotiate for better rates with your contractor, its even better. but do bear in mind most of these reno contractor engage free lance electrician to do electrical works, likewise same as window installers and plumbers, coz many of them can't afford to have them work full time in their company coz these people need licence to carry out these works. and some of the rates are fixed. and it will benefit you greatly if your reno contractor himself got one or more of these license himself or he hv some workers in his company who hv such licenses, you will be able to negotiate with him for better rates coz he able to decide whether to give hw much discount to you. in another word, they also hard to mark up their rates vy high to ketok you.

oh, pls remember my quote is more on woodworks and its a 5rm D&B premium executive which require vy little hacking and tiling works and most items are provided for (eg. vanity top, taps, toilet basins, some electrical pts, beautiful floor tiles and flower pattern wall tiles for kitchen and toilets) . for hacking and tiling works, it could cost more. and it will cost more for water proofing works at balcony and toilets. so to save $$, try your best to love the type of toilet provided by HDB unless really no choice. i remember my uncle reno 10 years ago on his re-sale unit, his 1 toilet alone cost $8k already!! now maybe cheaper but maybe still hv to spend around $3k?? i duno, hv to ask those who had done their toilets on hw much they hv done. fortunately, my toilet is in vy gd condition. my old unit was a re-sale unit, i juz clean it up without re-doing reno to it coz i dun mind, but some ppl mind and will redo 100% of such toilet coz cannot stand the thought that previously used by other ppl. im a vy stingy person, i use whatever can be used. but of coz, some old resale unit is beyond help, so still must do. me no $$ leh...

hope the above helps. :dunno:

Edited by leen

WooOw~~! Thats alot of knowledge hehe... thanks! will take note.. :P i am quoted $3480 for our mbr toilet, will change everything as for the tiling will overlay so no hacking. fiance and me at first feel the pink toilet given by hdb acceptable but my collegue say the hdb forum virtual showflat they say veri ugly.. then i told fiance he say wan to change :bangwall: .. abit heart pain for me cos is brand new but still we change it. only common toilet we nv change. will update on the outcome soon. cos have arrange for the hdb officer to come see our house tiles as the living room there is a line of tiles about 3.5cm big i feel veri sad hope they can shift the tiles for me so now cannot do anything :bow: