Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
blursotong

Kitchen Pipe Leak

Hi hi,

Water has been dripping on and off since 2 days ago from the kitchen ceiling area (where pipes come from upstairs).

HDB guy came to check when I was not in but cannot check as the door to the enclosure around the pipes was stuck. Upstairs neighbours were not in so he can't check their area either.

I have since removed the door. I have left the HDB guy's contact with upstairs neighbours that evening. Don't know whether they bother to call. http://www.renotalk.com/forum/style_emotic...ault/unsure.gif

Today, getting fed up waiting (and don't want to ask the neighbour as they are not the friendly type), I contacted Essential Maintenance Service Unit who sent down a contractor to check. Kudos....

Ceiling confirmed ok.

Likely chock in the pipe from upstairs although the water does not overflow upstairs so they didn't realise it also.

Resolution is to either get upstairs to engage their own contractor to clear the chock or for us to get contractor ourselves to change the pipe. Latter would cost me around $180. This is standard charge? Got website?

Although, rightly, I understand the pipe problem is upstairs neighbour's responsibility, I am seriously considering paying the $180. Upstairs neighbours seem like the unfriendly kind and I don't want any trouble from them since we are staying here long term. And the plastic pipe is quite old (should be 30-year-old).

Any comments on the situations? haiz......

Edited by blursotong

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

i was thinking if it is the pipe upstairs that is choked, shouldn't the town council tell the neighbour on your behalf rather than u having to approach the unfriendly neighbour on ur own?

Definitely agree. I'll leave the liaising with upstairs to the town council...

but just in case it gets nowhere......the very fact that the HDB guy asked me to leave his contact with upstairs shows the way they work....http://www.renotalk.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/bangwall.gif

i was thinking if it is the pipe upstairs that is choked, shouldn't the town council tell the neighbour on your behalf rather than u having to approach the unfriendly neighbour on ur own?

If you step in yourself: you have to bear all the cost.

If Town council step in on your behalf: Both you and your unfriendly neighbour share the cost.

I'll let Town Council handle it first....they are trying to get in touch with upstairs...

The cost issue...tot it depends on the type of problem? If it's tha pipe, tot it's totally upstairs'?

If you step in yourself: you have to bear all the cost.

If Town council step in on your behalf: Both you and your unfriendly neighbour share the cost.

Yipee!

Monday morning, HDB branch officer finally managed got in touch with upstairs people and checked their kitchen. The officer told me they dug up a layer of 'oily stuff' from the hole.

Problem solved!

Kudos to the officer!

I'm having similar problem. I replaced the pipe once 2 years ago and the problem came back just 4 days ago. I checked the area and found a tiny hole around the collar of the pipe that leads upstairs and it's wet. I also found some stain on the ceiling surrounding the pipe. I will call Town council on Monday and hope they can solve it.

The strange thing is, the leak doesn't happen everyday.

I called Town Council last Saturday and they sent someone down in 2 hours. After checking he said it was ceiling leak so must call HDB. He said TC will update the system and HDB will call me on Monday.They did call and we have made arrangement for viewing this Thursday (yeah, HDB schedule is tight).

Just to add, the TC guy mentions that vertical pipes (those coming out of ceiling) belongs to Town Councils. Horizontal pipes are owner's responsibility. Ceiling is HDB.

It is problem from the neighbours end, so you should ask to neighbours to bear all expenses on it, because the repairing expenses to solve this problem would be heavy, so don't bear it all your self.

You right MarkRobert, it is heavy. Plumber offers $950 to replace the whole pipes consisting of 1 big pipe and 2 small pipes that are merged together to join the big horizontal pipe - those are the 3 pipes coming down from kitchen ceiling). I haven't done it but I think I will do it soon since it has just started leaking again - after a year.

Oh BTW, this is under my cost, according to HDB.

r u sure that is under your cost? u better F*ck HDB for not giving u the right advise! U should call Town Councl. I use to work in Town Council. Only the branch pipes fall under the house owner.

if u need more advise. do PM me. or u can take some foto of your pipe and send it to me.

On 5/7/2012 at 5:36 PM, kingz said:

r u sure that is under your cost? u better F*ck HDB for not giving u the right advise! U should call Town Councl. I use to work in Town Council. Only the branch pipes fall under the house owner.

if u need more advise. do PM me. or u can take some foto of your pipe and send it to me.

Hi

Can I ask ? if the pipe is a L pipe coming down from upstairs neighbour.
It for my parent very old flat. It is in the kitchen.  Was thinking if HDB can help ? First time experiencing this situations.

On 7/9/2022 at 3:17 PM, Wiloo said:

Hi

Can I ask ? if the pipe is a L pipe coming down from upstairs neighbour.
It for my parent very old flat. It is in the kitchen.  Was thinking if HDB can help ? First time experiencing this situations.

Same for us, when mine upstairs noisy neighbour move in.
Lucky for us, it  stop leaking after a few days.  :)

But still dam noisy.