Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
voxy

Just To Share B4 I Leave

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
With seeds.... i think not possible. For herbs, I think you need to try semi hydro instead. No harm trying, plants will adapt to survive. If it works, let me know... I will try out at my new place... hee hee.

I think you try both but I reckon herbs thrive better under normal drainage. So choosing the right plant is impt. Best is to go to nursury and ask the gardeners.... you get plenty of info and can narrow down your experiment. :)

Geez...i'm having a hard time visualizing the whole process though...

As far as I can decipher the process, basically i need a container, 3 holes 1.5inches up from the bottom of the container, fill it with LECA, put the plant/herb in... fill it up to the brim with LECA again?

Is the idea to have water at a level at the bottom (but just a small distance away from the roots to induce the roots/plant to 'grow towards' it?

(1) Is LECA a 'standard' item that all gardeners will know of... or or there other items that can be used in place of LECA? This basically acts as a.... way of providing constant water to the plant as it gets absorbed easily by LECA? This is what they term as the 'aggregate'?

(2) I came across pple using charcoal and stuffs... any difference between these or is it just a case of Nike vs Adidas vs Reebok :P

(3) Do you use nutrient solutions or just plain water?

Any recommended shops where I can buy these expanded clay pebbles or LECA & nutrient solutions/powder? :D

Geez...i'm having a hard time visualizing the whole process though...

As far as I can decipher the process, basically i need a container, 3 holes 1.5inches up from the bottom of the container, fill it with LECA, put the plant/herb in... fill it up to the brim with LECA again?

Is the idea to have water at a level at the bottom (but just a small distance away from the roots to induce the roots/plant to 'grow towards' it?

(1) Is LECA a 'standard' item that all gardeners will know of... or or there other items that can be used in place of LECA? This basically acts as a.... way of providing constant water to the plant as it gets absorbed easily by LECA? This is what they term as the 'aggregate'?

(2) I came across pple using charcoal and stuffs... any difference between these or is it just a case of Nike vs Adidas vs Reebok :P

(3) Do you use nutrient solutions or just plain water?

Any recommended shops where I can buy these expanded clay pebbles or LECA & nutrient solutions/powder? :D

OK.... for hydroculture plants, you normally see them in offices

recycled%20plant%20pots%20with%20hydrocu

Leca is the best medium for most plants. Charcoal I use it mainly for local breed of orchid but i also put leca too... but that is to make it look nice.

You just need to add some fertiliser when you water them. For orchid, I add them once a week. For leca, I buy them from Far East Flora bec I am lazy to shop. But you should be able to get it cheaper in chao chu kang, wholesalers. But since you experiment.... no need lah. Do u have a nursery near your place? Just go and check them out. I am sure they have some potted plants on hydro for sale. You can ask them to recommend you the materials needed to start this hobby.

Leca is the best medium for most plants. Charcoal I use it mainly for local breed of orchid but i also put leca too... but that is to make it look nice.

You just need to add some fertiliser when you water them. For orchid, I add them once a week. For leca, I buy them from Far East Flora bec I am lazy to shop. But you should be able to get it cheaper in chao chu kang, wholesalers. But since you experiment.... no need lah. Do u have a nursery near your place? Just go and check them out. I am sure they have some potted plants on hydro for sale. You can ask them to recommend you the materials needed to start this hobby.

Hmmm ok... Im actually living in tamp, but moving to CCK...don't ask me why..i have no idea.. hehe :P *so gonna get it from missus when she sees this*

Prob gonna have to ask around if anyone knows of any nursery in CCK...

So the idea is that as the water in e container evaporates, i only need to like.. 'refill' it once every few weeks, and each time i do so, i add some fertilizer or nutrients?

Hmm..sounds simple enough haha... and it probably is :P if nothing withers dry up within a month, i'll let you know haha

Is it an expensive hobby? how much did you spend for yours..?

Hmmm ok... Im actually living in tamp, but moving to CCK...don't ask me why..i have no idea.. hehe :P *so gonna get it from missus when she sees this*

So the idea is that as the water in e container evaporates, i only need to like.. 'refill' it once every few weeks, and each time i do so, i add some fertilizer or nutrients?

Hmm..sounds simple enough haha... and it probably is :P if nothing withers dry up within a month, i'll let you know haha

haha you moving to cck which part? i'm living with my parents in cck right now. if you want nursery there's one along bukit timah road near the super busy junction where it connects up to cck road and bt panjang road.

Also got another one near the KPE, far behind the buddhist temple near sunshine place.

Hi voxy can explain more on semi-hydro orchid,me interested in this method becos it easy and less messy work.

Also staying near your place.

right now renovation(changing chengai wood fencing) trying to do up my garden but dun not where and how to start becos I am new to gardening. I love Orchids so much but everytime it end up nowhere(maybe I dun have the green finger).

Please advise and guide me thru this different task. Thks.

Cost is less than $150 for starter.... cheap cheap.

Usually you have to put water indicator to know if the plant need water. Well most of the time, you need to water sparingly twice a week. I use fertiliser on weekends. You can also use slow release type which you embed it in the soil. Most impt for plants is balance of sunlight, water than fertiliser depending on plant type. You should try Orchid as well.... I started with small ones. ;)

Usually you have to put water indicator to know if the plant need water. Well most of the time, you need to water sparingly twice a week. I use fertiliser on weekends. You can also use slow release type which you embed it in the soil. Most impt for plants is balance of sunlight, water than fertiliser depending on plant type. You should try Orchid as well.... I started with small ones. ;)

Yes voxy this is what I want, any advise for starter like me.

Where to buy all this barang, chye hin or katong flower shop.

Was thinking of going to hua hng tdg to buy stepping stone,pebbles,plant and etc...

but not too sure of the way abit too far. Wait get lost and end up like the 2 US female reporters.

haha......Ooh.

Hi Bro Voxy,

Just sidetrack a bit, may i know where u get the painting in your living room. with alot of colors,plants and animals. Hope to get that for my new house.

Thanks in advance

Yes voxy this is what I want, any advise for starter like me.

Where to buy all this barang, chye hin or katong flower shop.

Was thinking of going to hua hng tdg to buy stepping stone,pebbles,plant and etc...

but not too sure of the way abit too far. Wait get lost and end up like the 2 US female reporters.

haha......Ooh.

I think either nursury is fine.... else I suggest you go to THomson and visit the row of shops. They will advise you.

I started with Ikea pots and plants before moving to more exotic plants... finally setlling with orchids.

You can also get leca in the nursury, try to get medium size ones if you go for smaller pots. about $4 one packet. Soil also about that price depending on the mix. Pots from Ikea is $3-$4 ea.... plants $1.50 - $10. Stand $10 ea... fertiliser $3......

Cheap lah.... just do it. Gives you a a sense of achievement after setting it up. :D

This hobby quite addictive.... you may find yourself suddenly buying plant after plant. :rolleyes:

Hi Bro Voxy,

Just sidetrack a bit, may i know where u get the painting in your living room. with alot of colors,plants and animals. Hope to get that for my new house.

Thanks in advance

Hee hee it was an art work commission from a digital print.... I got it from one of the shop at Holland rd. Can't remember the name. I got to say the material used is very good quality. Impt for art piece is the oil paint they use.... lousy ones got a shine over it..... this one anti reflective type and can tell took effort to give it a 3D effect.

Think paid $1k.... :P

I think either nursury is fine.... else I suggest you go to THomson and visit the row of shops. They will advise you.

I started with Ikea pots and plants before moving to more exotic plants... finally setlling with orchids.

You can also get leca in the nursury, try to get medium size ones if you go for smaller pots. about $4 one packet. Soil also about that price depending on the mix. Pots from Ikea is $3-$4 ea.... plants $1.50 - $10. Stand $10 ea... fertiliser $3......

Cheap lah.... just do it. Gives you a a sense of achievement after setting it up. :D

This hobby quite addictive.... you may find yourself suddenly buying plant after plant. :rolleyes:

Hi voxy u mean leca is the brown color like stone.

so if i use leca then no need soil right.

and ya must buy the water indicator also.

OK plants S$1.50-$10.00 u mean orchid plants in ikea,so cheap.

after buying the orchid back I tranfer them to leca method,correct me if wrong.

Thks for the advise, so sweet of U>

Hi voxy u mean leca is the brown color like stone.

so if i use leca then no need soil right.

and ya must buy the water indicator also.

OK plants S$1.50-$10.00 u mean orchid plants in ikea,so cheap.

after buying the orchid back I tranfer them to leca method,correct me if wrong.

Thks for the advise, so sweet of U>

On the soil part, you may need it if the plant is currently planted on soil. Then you got to do semi hydro.... bottom 1/4 with leca and transfer plant together with soil. The water indicator seats at the bottom of the pot. Note that the pot has no holes. The leca will serve like a reservoir of water for the plant.

Sub-irrHydroGraphic.jpg

On the soil part, you may need it if the plant is currently planted on soil. Then you got to do semi hydro.... bottom 1/4 with leca and transfer plant together with soil. The water indicator seats at the bottom of the pot. Note that the pot has no holes. The leca will serve like a reservoir of water for the plant.

Hi sorry to trouble you again, I know a bit long winded but just to make sure everything is in order.

The orchids I am going to buy comes with charcoal that means transfer to a new pot,

first add in one quarter part of leca and three quarter of charcoal.

And the orchids plant put in the garden under sun isit ok.

Many a time my orchids has disappear without reason.

haha you moving to cck which part? i'm living with my parents in cck right now. if you want nursery there's one along bukit timah road near the super busy junction where it connects up to cck road and bt panjang road.

Also got another one near the KPE, far behind the buddhist temple near sunshine place.

Hmm will have to ask the missus, she's better with roads..i recognize roads and destinations by FOOD haha so unless there's good food there, chances are I'll get lost or forget my way there :P

Moving to Limbang there... u lei? hey, would you happen to know anything about those blocks HDB is building just behind Limbang? At first thought it would be a BTO or something but no news....

Ic ic... actually I'm more keen in the Herbs hehe.. not much of a flower man... but then again u never know hehe... can save $$ on buying flowers? =X ssshhhhh

but in your opinion, do you reckon some soil shld be used for herbs..?