Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lipton

Ikea Pax Series Wardrobe, Reliable?

I been looking for a wardrobe for awhile, eyeing mostly the PAX series from Ikea.

Just wondering how last sturdy it is. Anyone has personal experience to share?

It seems more expensive than those from furniture stores but it is highly customized. :/

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
I been looking for a wardrobe for awhile, eyeing mostly the PAX series from Ikea.

Just wondering how last sturdy it is. Anyone has personal experience to share?

It seems more expensive than those from furniture stores but it is highly customized. :/

I've been using a PAX with heavy white sliding doors (L1.5m x D0.6m x H2.36m) for about 10 years already, very sturdy (i got them to assemble it for me). accidentally scratched the door with a penknife, but that's about it. After it was assembled, one of the assembly man told me not to move it out of the room (I guess that's because it wouldn't be possible to take it out of the room unless you unassemble it first) Cost me about $900 at that time, inclusive of delivery and installation.

my next wardrobe will be the ELGA wardrobe with mirror doors :) (of course, i will get them to assemble for me)

Good thing about PAX, is that there are many "accessories" you can add. I got 2 basket drawers, a few shelves, and a trousers rack. The Elga has only baskets and shelves, so I will just have to make do without the trousers rack :)

I've been using a PAX with heavy white sliding doors (L1.5m x D0.6m x H2.36m) for about 10 years already, very sturdy (i got them to assemble it for me). accidentally scratched the door with a penknife, but that's about it. After it was assembled, one of the assembly man told me not to move it out of the room (I guess that's because it wouldn't be possible to take it out of the room unless you unassemble it first) Cost me about $900 at that time, inclusive of delivery and installation.

my next wardrobe will be the ELGA wardrobe with mirror doors :) (of course, i will get them to assemble for me)

Good thing about PAX, is that there are many "accessories" you can add. I got 2 basket drawers, a few shelves, and a trousers rack. The Elga has only baskets and shelves, so I will just have to make do without the trousers rack :)

Thanks Ossify for your info.

I am also getting the PAX for my WIW on both sides of the room, one side of the whole wall for me & another for hubby.

I am not getting the doors at all. U mean Ikea don't do assembly FOC? Do u think its easy to assemble on our own?

Thanks Ossify for your info.

I am also getting the PAX for my WIW on both sides of the room, one side of the whole wall for me & another for hubby.

I am not getting the doors at all. U mean Ikea don't do assembly FOC? Do u think its easy to assemble on our own?

Welcome.

I presume you have done your homework and know that you are paying more for PAX because you want to have the "accessories" to include in your wardrobe.

Generally, Ikea products are only strong as a whole piece. The door acts as a protective layer while the back is very vulnerable. Ikea will charge you for delivery (around $50-100 per trip, check with the store) and assembly (i think it is an additional 6% of your bill). Personally, I don't like to install things that are BIG on my own :) It's only 6% charge, so you decide if you can handle it yourself.

I don't mind assembling everything else, just not the wardrobe. The sliding door is a tricky mechanism too so I think I'll let them handle it. Anyway my 10ft wardrobe is projected to cost about 1.3k inclusive of delivery and installation. The installation only costs $80.00. If you are not buying doors, it should be very cheap. Just get them to install the frame. You can install the "accessories" yourself.

Hi, would like to ask... must the Pax wardrobe be fixed to a wall? Does anyone have it "free standing"?

Thanks~ :)

they are not meant to be fixed to any wall and are free standing. But the back of the wardrobe is raw MDF board.

they are not meant to be fixed to any wall and are free standing. But the back of the wardrobe is raw MDF board.

I read about a wall attachment that comes with it so thought it must be fixed to wall... good to know that it's "free standing". Thanx yoongf~ :)