Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Rasp

Is This Consider A Beam?

Hi All,

The ceiling of my mbr is uneven as the block corridoor / passageway is just above my unit. I am concerned whether this constitute as a beam.

From what I know, the width of a beam is usually around 24cm. But this drop-down at my room is quite wide (around 1m).

I read some articles off the net where they consider the drop-down a beam only if the height (or drop-down) is more than 13-15inches. My drop-down is around 4-5 inches.

My bed postition will be underneath this area. May I check with you all, whether this is consider a beam?

I have attached the picture below for clearer understanding.

Thanks!

P1020905.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Rasp,

I would suggest that you sleep away from the dropdown area and have the bed head against the wall, either on the right or the left.

But if you are sleeping under the drop down, I would suggest that you keep the bed entirely underneath the drop down portion, do not have the head in the drop down and the legs in the other portion.

From past experiences with clients who do this, the occupant in the room sleeping under the beam would have trouble sleeping.

This is a point to take note when you are placing your bed.

Thank you.

Hi All,

The ceiling of my mbr is uneven as the block corridoor / passageway is just above my unit. I am concerned whether this constitute as a beam.

From what I know, the width of a beam is usually around 24cm. But this drop-down at my room is quite wide (around 1m).

I read some articles off the net where they consider the drop-down a beam only if the height (or drop-down) is more than 13-15inches. My drop-down is around 4-5 inches.

My bed postition will be underneath this area. May I check with you all, whether this is consider a beam?

Thanks!

P1020905.jpg

Yes i totally agreed with felix! cos my frd experienced from past bed head position and he kept felt that he dun have enough sleep. until now he changed bed position away from the fake ceiling beam, he didnt complain anymore. it may sounds silly but better to believe than worried.

regards

Hi All,

Thanks!

P1020905.jpg

There's no concern for this. Its very common and many houses actually have false ceiling that camouflage them. It still post the problem anyway if you're aware of it. A beam will be bad if certain factors are taken into consideration. Nobody can straightaway comment that it is definitely bad.

If you're not comfortable, just have the contractor to flush the wall will do. Check around your neighbours and most of them don't have this constituting a problem. Ignore the myths until proper investigated. (But you can play safe if you want)

Hi Rasp,

I would suggest that you sleep away from the dropdown area and have the bed head against the wall, either on the right or the left.

But if you are sleeping under the drop down, I would suggest that you keep the bed entirely underneath the drop down portion, do not have the head in the drop down and the legs in the other portion.

From past experiences with clients who do this, the occupant in the room sleeping under the beam would have trouble sleeping.

This is a point to take note when you are placing your bed.

Thank you.

Yes i totally agreed with felix! cos my frd experienced from past bed head position and he kept felt that he dun have enough sleep. until now he changed bed position away from the fake ceiling beam, he didnt complain anymore. it may sounds silly but better to believe than worried.

regards

Hi felixwong & jc77,

Thanks for the advice. But the dropdown area is not big enough to house my entire king size bed below it. Even if we push the bed all the way to the window, it will still be out by 20-30cm. We are 'recycling' the old bed.

And the area without the dropdown area is for my customise table and wardrobe which is fabricating now. The wardrobe is placed infront of an uneven wall (there's a 10cm pillar in the middle of it, meaning the back is L-shaped to contain the pillar) so I cant move them to elsewhere.

May I check if I were to do false ceiling just above my bed area. Does it helps?

Or do you have some suggestions to counter such situations?

Many Thanks.

There's no concern for this. Its very common and many houses actually have false ceiling that camouflage them. It still post the problem anyway if you're aware of it. A beam will be bad if certain factors are taken into consideration. Nobody can straightaway comment that it is definitely bad.

If you're not comfortable, just have the contractor to flush the wall will do. Check around your neighbours and most of them don't have this constituting a problem. Ignore the myths until proper investigated. (But you can play safe if you want)

Hi Ivy1981,

Thanks for reply. I guess all the units at my level will face this issue as the HDB corridoor stretches through the whole stretch of the block (lift landing above). I went to my neighbour unit (we are door-to-door facing), their unit also have such step-down ceiling for their rooms.

We are in a fix now as our carpentry designs are already sent to factory for fabrication. Hence, we cant swap the furniture placing. So we are considering building false ceiling just above the bed to cover it. But there is also alot of issue with this as the current ceiling drop-down is only 4inches, we don't know if the contractor can build just a 4inches false ceiling to flush with it. If not, the usual false ceiling height is 6-8inches and building that the ceiling will be very low after adding in the current 4inches. And it's going to look very weird.

In addition, the aircon and its trucking is already up. We will have to build the false ceiling over them and we are worried on the condensation issues.

Goosh... headache...

Hi All,

Thanks!

P1020905.jpg

I don't think it qualifies as a Fengshui beam because all those that qualifies need to be structural. But of course, having something hanging above you is still not too psychologically good (although less detrimental than a beam), much like you don't want a lamp directly above your bed .

Hi Ivy1981,

Thanks for reply. I guess all the units at my level will face this issue as the HDB corridoor stretches through the whole stretch of the block (lift landing above). I went to my neighbour unit (we are door-to-door facing), their unit also have such step-down ceiling for their rooms.

We are in a fix now as our carpentry designs are already sent to factory for fabrication. Hence, we cant swap the furniture placing. So we are considering building false ceiling just above the bed to cover it. But there is also alot of issue with this as the current ceiling drop-down is only 4inches, we don't know if the contractor can build just a 4inches false ceiling to flush with it. If not, the usual false ceiling height is 6-8inches and building that the ceiling will be very low after adding in the current 4inches. And it's going to look very weird.

In addition, the aircon and its trucking is already up. We will have to build the false ceiling over them and we are worried on the condensation issues.

Goosh... headache...

Hi

Your contractor should have forseen this problem. Sad to say...sigh! For design or aesthetic purpose, I suggest you give the headache to them. Well, of course you got to tell them at minimal cost.

There are quite some economical ways to design around it. Can flush it with gypson board or do a feature ceiling in strips/ planks especially around the area likely for condensation. If really happen, should start seeing stains in about 2 years. Then just change the portion. Make sure the contractor make available for you to keep in the storeroom. A total false ceiling should be last option.

Hi Rasp,

Just a suggestions of what you might want to do.

Why not increase the dropdown area till it covers the king size bed. In this way, you won't have a feeling of being COMPRESSED while walking around the room and yet you wont be sleeping under a beam that looks like it is cutting your bed into half. This was how 1 of my clients did it to resolve this problem. I saw it when I went to do a overall check on their fengshui layout, and it looks fine to me.

Just a piece of advice. You can consider suggesting that to your Interior Designer.

Edited by felixwong

Hi All,

Thanks!

P1020905.jpg

hi there (Rasp)

hi....i know nuts about fengshui...but structurally (from your photo) i can tell you that it's not a beam. I believe that the drop is due to the fact that above your unit (directly above), near to your window area, is a balcony for of the upper floor.

Gorilla