Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
cornetto

Home & furnishing : Cooker hob, hood, oven

How much was it ah Poh Joo?

ehh..it depends on what hob and hood combination you are looking at lor. Ranges frm 500+ to 1000+.

I just ordered mine abt 800+. 3 burner tempered glass hob and tempered glass hood with LED light.

Hob glass is lifetime warranty and 2yrs warranty on parts.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
As promised, heres the pic of my ariston hob after installation :dunno:

Hobs.jpg

Hi Sean, how much did you pay for your hob? How do you like it's performance so far? I'm thinking of getting induction hob for my new flat. Thanks.

Went to Teka showroom and was a bit disappointed as the ones I was interested in turned out to be nothing great compared to other brands like tecno, rinnai, cuizino, ariston, etc.

We were looking for a basic gas hob with glass surface, but the teka ones did not impress.....rather standard, no different from others. Also when I mentioned that their basic glass hob did not have cast-iron support, the salesperson quickly dissed cast-iron supports by saying they will break if dropped accidentally. Then how come all the high-end teka hobs got cast-iron supports, then? No good, ahhh? I wanted to say like this, but maintained politeness.

Then I saw the ovens and asked how come teka got no catalytic or pyrolytic oven(this is to clean it more easily). The sales person say this feature is actually no good because it waste a lot of electricity.....then how come all the high-end ovens got this feature?????

By this time I feel no confidence in teka brand and politely say thank u and leave. Very disappointing.

After visiting Teka, I go to ariston(MAYER).

This time, I see the products not bad, but their basic glass gas hob is also nothing special. I am beginning to suspect that our local brand "tecno" has the best basic glass hob, because they give solid cast-iron support and variety of glass surface and solid turning knobs.

The ariston glass hob has the thin coated steel support for cooking vessel that I dun like.

But we see another stainless steel gas hob with solid cast-iron support and vitroceramic/halogen heating area in centre.....glass is ceran(brand-name) vitroceramic. Altho it is stainless and not glass, we think this one maybe more useful. Turning knobs also quite solid. Can give variable fire, small or big from the each burner.

My spouse say, the vitroceramic halogen burner in the centre can use to keep sauce or food warm. So far, this one seems the best gas hob we have seen, unfortunately it is SS instead of glass.

Edited by minstrel

^^ the Ariston hob you have described seems to be the one that I have. And had in my previous house, which I'd used for about 7 years. Stainless steel base is alot easier to maintain than glass.

Hi chunky monkey,

We decided that if we can't get a nice glass hob, we'll get the ariston one even if it is SS. As u said SS is probably better wearing than glass, but glass looks a bit better. Having used SS for most of my life, I thot a change would be nice.

I thot glass u just wipedown and it is OK liao???? SS will scratch and then won't look so nice and I am lazy to polish......

What I find disappointing abt the glass hobs I have seen so far is that most of them don't have thick cast-iron grids but use thin coated steel grids that look very flimsy to me. I have this in my old kitchen and want a change.

I was willing to go with the tecno glass hob but my spouse not so happy with the brand......prefer to be "safe" and go for the euro brand.

Wishing u a happy CNY.

Getting the correct hob is also a chore because nowadays we also have the choice of gas, induction or halogen heating. Having used gas all my short life so far, I really was wondering how well one can cook on induction or halogen. I read somewhere that actually induction can give a very strong heating, but of course for wok with rounded surface cannot(although I am told there is one rounded surface induction hob in japan).

The halogen and induction hobs really have a sleek look that would go well in any kitchen, but after some thinking, I thot the cost not worth it and also wasn't sure if I can cook things properly on induction or halogen, which seems better suited to western food.

I am also scared that if there are young children in my kitchen they will put their hands on the vitro/halogen hob and get burnt. Of course the induction hob won't have this danger. In the end, I decide to stick with gas, but maybe consider the "domino": style with one halogen or induction burner just to see how it is.

de dietrich does have an induction hub that has a depression in the centre to cater for a round surface of a wok, saw it on their 2008 catalogue.

Personally, i think you need a mix of gas and induction hob. If you are looking for a good induction hob, can try considering the de dietrich continuum induction hob, thus far i think they are the only one offering it. It does not have your usual ring heating but a rectangular heating. Power control for top and bottom portion of the rectangle and i find it being less restrictive. Moreover it's a domino with a width of 38, if i remember this correctly.

:dancingqueen:

Getting the correct hob is also a chore because nowadays we also have the choice of gas, induction or halogen heating. Having used gas all my short life so far, I really was wondering how well one can cook on induction or halogen. I read somewhere that actually induction can give a very strong heating, but of course for wok with rounded surface cannot(although I am told there is one rounded surface induction hob in japan).

The halogen and induction hobs really have a sleek look that would go well in any kitchen, but after some thinking, I thot the cost not worth it and also wasn't sure if I can cook things properly on induction or halogen, which seems better suited to western food.

I am also scared that if there are young children in my kitchen they will put their hands on the vitro/halogen hob and get burnt. Of course the induction hob won't have this danger. In the end, I decide to stick with gas, but maybe consider the "domino": style with one halogen or induction burner just to see how it is.

Edited by wuga98

Thanks for your advice, wuga98.

I did look at some of the die dietrich ones, but they are to expensive for us(ie: we are not willing to pay that price for a hob).

I think tecno has a website, check it out, they have a wide variety of gas hobs, with a choice of colored glass, and solid cast iron grids.

Those tecno hobs I examined impressed me as value for money. Solid and they give what u want in a basic glass hob. Tecno seems like a local brand, but designs may be from europe.

If I want a value for money glass hob with cast iron grids, I will take tecno.

Sadly I have recently bot another hob.

I'm looking around for a hob too. When we went to Asia Excel y'day, were recommended Fujioh or Rinnai as these are more of 'asian fire' aka big flames which is more suitable for asian style of cooking. Not sure if it's true. :dunno:

Other than cast-iron grids, what else shd I look out for? :dunno::dunno:

I'm looking around for a hob too. When we went to Asia Excel y'day, were recommended Fujioh or Rinnai as these are more of 'asian fire' aka big flames which is more suitable for asian style of cooking. Not sure if it's true. :dunno:

Other than cast-iron grids, what else shd I look out for? :dunno::dunno:

We are on a look out for a hob that would give us the right heat for our 48cm wok. It's not all that big a wok but it's bigger than an average wok you find in most domestic kitchen.

After some reading, we decided on getting a hob with a 6kW or higher burner for the wok cooking; the control knobs has to be far enough so that it will not be hot or melt after extended use; no preference for glass or s/steel [a well used kitchen should have the odd scratches and dents for character! :jammin: ].

And we would like to have a separate 2 burner hob for lighter cooking or something that's good enough for 2 big pots of soup broth as we do feed a big party who like our hokkien prawn noodle soup.

For hood, it's a 1600m3/hr, twin motor, twin exhaust so my friends won't sneeze or tear when I start to cook the rumpa. ;) We aren't too bothered how it look so long it works - we will not want to make our guest suffer for good food.

We visited many kitchen equipment suppliers and the visit to Rhoyxon House was rather "enlightening" We learnt quite a few tips from the rhoyxon agent we spoke to. He showed us what to look for when shopping for a hob and highlighted that we should look for SABAF burner. He mentioned that most of the burner caps would rust but not the ones he showed us.

After that visit, I found myself overturning the burner caps of the hobs I see in the showrooms we visit. :D It was indeed surprising to find that some of the showroom burner caps were rusty to start off with.

Anyhow, I found an online copy of the Rhoyxon hobs write-out and the read is rather amusing and "educational".

We are not likely to get a rhoyxon hob as he didn't answer my repeated question on the kW of the burner. We found that the common brands rarely list the kW for the burner which is comparable to m3/hr airflow for hoods.

Anyhow, after even more reading online, we found that Teka has a 6kW burner hob. We went to see it at the UE Square showroom and penned it down for things to buy in the coming weeks. At the same mall, we noted the DeDietrich hood to buy.

A chance visit to Park Mall got me reading about Qasair hood - 1600m3/hr; twin motor. :idea:

A visit to Centerpoint got us interested in the Unico Counterline 16kW wok range. !!

And that calls for another visit to the s/steel kitchen equipment fabrication fellas to compare the prices.

Well, looks like I should update my blog on renotalk with our recent findings of the hobs and hoods before making a decision what to buy. What an exhausting affair.....and this is only the hob and hood. Boy am I glad we are settled on the main kitchen sink. Did I tell you that we are looking for the perfect prep sink at the pantry area? :wacko: