Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lord vader

Project X

yah.. ur valuation is very high... but i guess urs shld be near the lrt and on a high floor.. but gd for u dat u got it below val! :)

oh! hmm weird leh, we saw 109, 172, 174, 110.. but dun have such a layout... usually is 1 bedroom at left hand side, then living room in the middle.. then the other 2 bedrooms on the right... but anyways...

are u doin major reno for ur flat?

wch blk series are you at?

no major reno......just simple stuff....no hacking of walls....just change of tiles....kitchen+cabinets.....toilets.......some false ceiling and L-box ...........aircon......doors.......lighting.......maybe plastering (will check it out during inspection)....tats abt it...unless there other things that crop up later.....

wat abt u?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Air-con

I've got a question on air-con. Am planning to do a system 3 for the bedrooms and a system 1 for the living room.

But not sure if system 1 can cater to my living room. Had a headache figuring out where to place the fan coil for the living room.

Was considering using a cassette system instead of a wall system for living room, but was told that HDB does not allow that. Is it true?

Anyone use a cassette system for HDB before?

Current owner dont have aircon in living room....just a ceiling fan.

Edited by lord vader

wch blk series are you at?

no major reno......just simple stuff....no hacking of walls....just change of tiles....kitchen+cabinets.....toilets.......some false ceiling and L-box ...........aircon......doors.......lighting.......maybe plastering (will check it out during inspection)....tats abt it...unless there other things that crop up later.....

wat abt u?

we're at 600+.. :)

wah hehe.. urs dun sound like simple stuff leh... change of tiles is quite major leh.. u changing whole house floor tiles?

we're not changing any tiles, but overlaying the toilet floor tiles only, cus contractor went to knock knock and said its ok to overlay.. we'll be hacking one wall, and same as u, the usual, L box, aircon and lighting... not changing the doors too cus its still in gd condition, jus reached 5 yrs only... ur unit also no existing aircon?

u not in any hurry to do the reno? who have u shortlisted so far? we're in a rush, dats why sourced out many many things way in advance..

Air-con

I've got a question on air-con. Am planning to do a system 3 for the bedrooms and a system 1 for the living room.

But not sure if system 1 can cater to my living room. Had a headache figuring out where to place the fan coil for the living room.

Was considering using a cassette system instead of a wall system for living room, but was told that HDB does not allow that. Is it true?

hubby told me casette system is the window unit aircon? i think u dun need to have that.. cus when i enquired for my 5 room, i could do a 22k btu **** room, 16k for my 2-in-1 room, and another 9k for the last room... all can fit using toshiba or mitsubishi electric inverter compressor... the big one lor... maybe u can jus bring ur floor plan down to gain city or any of the aircon shops to let them advice...

i got mine at gain city marina.. sales guy Victor very gd service.. we bugged him 3 times before giving him any sales.. lol

Air-con

Yup, cassette is not allowed in HDB due to the current drawn. Shouldn't have a problem with a System 1 for your living room cos they come in different BTUs. Depending on your living room space, you might want to opt for a 18k, 22k or even a 24k BTU blower.. I can't remember the formula but check with any aircon installer, they should be able to calculate the exact BTU requirements for your living room. You just need to make sure your aircon ledge has enuff space for 2 compressors and you'll need another extra isolator point for the second compressor..

hubby told me casette system is the window unit aircon? i think u dun need to have that.. cus when i enquired for my 5 room, i could do a 22k btu **** room, 16k for my 2-in-1 room, and another 9k for the last room... all can fit using toshiba or mitsubishi electric inverter compressor... the big one lor... maybe u can jus bring ur floor plan down to gain city or any of the aircon shops to let them advice...

i got mine at gain city marina.. sales guy Victor very gd service.. we bugged him 3 times before giving him any sales.. lol

actually, the cassette type i was referring to is like the one below:

aircon1.jpg

thanks....will check it out....

Yup, cassette is not allowed in HDB due to the current drawn. Shouldn't have a problem with a System 1 for your living room cos they come in different BTUs. Depending on your living room space, you might want to opt for a 18k, 22k or even a 24k BTU blower.. I can't remember the formula but check with any aircon installer, they should be able to calculate the exact BTU requirements for your living room. You just need to make sure your aircon ledge has enuff space for 2 compressors and you'll need another extra isolator point for the second compressor..

Thanks for the tip....just wondering why cassette not allowed in HDB. Is it coz of its weight and HDB worried that false ceilings cant hold its weight? or is it coz after installing the cassette, the ceiling height would be quite low.......

Tiles

Just wondering if anyone has used floor tiles that look like laminate/wood.

Are they ceramic tiles or other type?

Any tiling shops to recommend for that type of tiles?

Thanx in advance !

thanks....will check it out....

Thanks for the tip....just wondering why cassette not allowed in HDB. Is it coz of its weight and HDB worried that false ceilings cant hold its weight? or is it coz after installing the cassette, the ceiling height would be quite low.......

Becos of power requirement.. A cassette take up too much electrical current.. Partly also becos of the low ceiling height i guess.. IIRC cassettes are all 28k btu and above leh, your monthly electrical bill would prob kill you! Do you need that much cooling power in your living room?? :)

Tiles

Just wondering if anyone has used floor tiles that look like laminate/wood.

Are they ceramic tiles or other type?

Any tiling shops to recommend for that type of tiles?

Thanx in advance !

See my blog. I chose one such tile for my home. :) It is creamic tile if I am not wrong. I was 'in time' to order mine from Soon Bee Huat. But stock was running low then. It is the cheapest among the tiling shops I been. The price really varies. For example, U will be shock that the price at Hafary is 1 time more exp than at Soon Bee Huat. But I don't know what the different though. They look and feel exactly the same to me. My ID said both are made of ceramic also. Try going to both shops and see for yourself. :)

Edited by Mickey M

See my blog. I chose one such tile for my home. :) It is creamic tile if I am not wrong. I was 'in time' to order mine from Soon Bee Huat. But stock was running low then. It is the cheapest among the tiling shops I been. The price really varies. For example, U will be shock that the price at Hafary is 1 time more exp than at Soon Bee Huat. But I don't know what the different though. They look and feel exactly the same to me. My ID said both are made of ceramic also. Try going to both shops and see for yourself. :)

hi mickey,

will check SBH out...thanks for the tip :)

LV

Becos of power requirement.. A cassette take up too much electrical current.. Partly also becos of the low ceiling height i guess.. IIRC cassettes are all 28k btu and above leh, your monthly electrical bill would prob kill you! Do you need that much cooling power in your living room?? :)

hihi,

thanks for the explanation....sigh...looks like hv to rethink the plans....

the initial thought was that a cassette in the centre of the living room will have equal distribution of the cold air, since there are 4 directions, rather than from only one direction.

LV

hi mickey,

will check SBH out...thanks for the tip :)

LV

i've got those "woody" look tiles too....mine's homogeneous....check out my t-blog too...

one forummer even said it looks like laminate....hhaha...

not sure what's the diff between homogeneous and ceramic...but according to what the lady boss told me,

when homogeneous tiles get chipped, it's less obvious, cos the inside is the same color.

got mine from sin lek...they have 600x600 and 15x600....so you need to lay out 4 of the 15x600 tiles to make one square...but once laid out, these look more like laminates too.... (but so many lines to clean)

got mine from sin lek...they have 600x600 and 15x600....so you need to lay out 4 of the 15x600 tiles to make one square...but once laid out, these look more like laminates too.... (but so many lines to clean)

hmm..thats what i thought too....15x600....pple wont know its not laminate...until they see it up close....hahaahah....

so now i hv 2 choices...homogenous or ceramic....any ideas on the cost of per 15x600 tile?

Edited by lord vader

hmm..thats what i thought too....15x600....pple wont know its not laminate...until they see it up close....hahaahah....

so now i hv 2 choices...homogenous or ceramic....any ideas on the cost of per 15x600 tile?

Hi Vader.

usually ppl will choose the 150x600, look more like plank or wooden strip. The one at Hafary for example cost more than $7 psf. If u see my previous post here, then u will know how much I paid for mine at Soon Bee Huat. :)