Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
maxism8

Glass Door

Hi all,

I am in doubt as to choosing between the top and bottom hinge or using the side hinge for my kitchen glass door.

As you see, above my glass door I am having a beam to lower the kitchen opening to a reasonable height so that my glass door can fit in. If I am to use top and bottom hinge, ID told me that I will have to reinforce the beam with better material(maybe cement instead of hollow board) and that will cost me a $100 more. Whileas if I will to choose side hinge it will be $100 less. Which should I choose?? Heard that top bottom hinge is more firm and nicer design, but side is cheaper. Pls comment/advice....Thks

Side hinge

http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=k...s20door2qx8.jpg

Top & Bottom hinge

http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=t...omhinge3mk7.jpg

Hi forumers

I will be starting my renovation work soon but still in doubt of installing hinge or spring type(those used by commercial) glass door for my kitchen entrance. :) Recommendation from contractors to another are different.Like to know which tye is better form those had been using either of these.

Thank you :furious:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

squashy, I have no experience with the top and bottom hinge kind of installation, so I am in no position to comment on it.

As for the side hinges, which is currently fixed on my shower room's frameless glass door, I have to comment that there is a big difference in the hinges in your pictures compared to what I have. My side hinges are actually very long side clamps. About 8 cm long but they have a very slim profile. And I believe it is the broadness of the clamps that help to give the glass door ample support and so it can withstand daily opening and closing. My glass door is already about 8 years old.

Ask for the weight of the glass and check with your contractor the maximum weight it which the side clamps can withhold. Make sure you don't get cheapo China made clamps. They are not very durable.

If you are free, go to Geylang and look around hardware shops that sell lock sets etc. You will see loads of clamps available. And you can ask questions about what is best suited for your use.

http://www.eastloc.com/stainless_steel_glass_hinge1.html

The hinges/glass clamps I have is long horizontally like the last one in this webpage above. Mine is stainless steel (do not accept chrome) and has a soft closing like the one described above.

But unlike what is shown in this picture, my hinges are in one solid piece, and not joined like what it is shown.

I was told by my contractor that th espring type is more durable and can withstand strong wing blows. :notti: Furthermore the price he quoted me is still within my budget,just that i am not sure is it from brand "DORMA". :dancingqueen:

to use which ype of hinges de[emd on what u r expecting n willing to pay the difference of abt $200.

but in short, shower hinges is meant to be use to hold a glass weight of 35-40kg. a better hinge can hold up to 60kg is abt $100 more than normal hinge(also not Dorma, no need to use "D" brand) both have spring but very weak spring. the better hinge has a strong spring to make the dr close back at opening of 60-70 degree while the cheaper one at ard 20-30 degree.

flr spring type, can pushes dr widh of up to 1000mm (standard) close itself at 80 degree. (no need 'D'brand too, just ask for not make in china spring will do, but designers wont tell u the true lah)

if u have just one pc of glass dr without another pc of glass partition at the side of the dr, u can still use shower hinge, if not its better to use flr spring. as shower hinge cannot self close to the exact position of the glass besides it.( u must bare with abt 10-20mm or even more difference if not control by ur hand)

Hi all,

I am in doubt as to choosing between the top and bottom hinge or using the side hinge for my kitchen glass door.

As you see, above my glass door I am having a beam to lower the kitchen opening to a reasonable height so that my glass door can fit in. Side hinge

http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=t...omhinge3mk7.jpg

ask ur contractor why need to lower it down? is it becos of the glass height cannot go into ur lift or it is too heavy for the hinges? or is it becos they the glass exceed the size they quoted u? if not, if u r using the top n bottom hinges, u need not lower it down. or maybe they just wanna find excuse to asku to top up $ or they use a not made to measured size glass?

top n bottom hinge can hold bigger pc of glass than shower hinge(side hinge) abt 10-15kg more.

advantage of top n bottom hinge (pivot hinge): can hold heavier glass.

disadvantages are, they need more clearance at the pivot side to open the dr.

ask ur contractor why need to lower it down? is it becos of the glass height cannot go into ur lift or it is too heavy for the hinges? or is it becos they the glass exceed the size they quoted u? if not, if u r using the top n bottom hinges, u need not lower it down. or maybe they just wanna find excuse to asku to top up $ or they use a not made to measured size glass?

top n bottom hinge can hold bigger pc of glass than shower hinge(side hinge) abt 10-15kg more.

advantage of top n bottom hinge (pivot hinge): can hold heavier glass.

disadvantages are, they need more clearance at the pivot side to open the dr.

Have checked through with contractor he mentioned that the glass will be too tall and cannot go into the lift, that's why the lowering of entrance.

Btw today I went to IMM, but can't seem to find Besglas. Enquire from information counter they say @ #02-134 but we walk ard but cannot find is it hidden in some secret hidding place? I know there is a warehouse area, but still can't find. Is it a show room where I can see many different sample of glass doors?