Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
wuga98

Crack Lines On The Wall

All; just like to share this and see if others have a different perspective or experience on this. I have notice some dark crack lines on my outer boundary wall and also exposed wall that is subjected to rain and shine. As it was a lazy and slow weekends and they are numerous contractors doing various jobs around my arear, i thought i go out and talk to them. :P . As i am not strong in hokkien and mandarin, i think i survived that one and understood what they are trying to tell me.

All these exposed walls at some point will have smilar issue of cracks no matter how many layers of sealant, water proofing etc that you do and he advise me to put an aluminium cap, like an "n" on the top of these walls and it will further delay the obvious as the water will not fall direct on this surface but block by the alu "n" cap. Well, i took that as advise and did not think much about it but just digressed that it makes some sense there.

Today i was walking home after my kid has attended school and i started to notice more about my surrounding houses, some of them indeed has this "n" cap and i was like telling my wife jokingly that we shd get those "n" cap to build some resistance to the paint etc.

We left it as such and then she went and checked with her mum about this "n" cap and my MIL knew about such a thing and it's purpose...i think i got to be the 'stupid" one here. :unsure: Of course, i did not want to call my mum to check if she also knows about this to further my embarassment. :bangwall: Anyway, if you are about or in progress of some build/rebuild; give this a thought ...if there are any wisdom in what we could learn from the elders this got to be one of those 101 things i missed paying attention to. :D;)

If you come across a different way to solve or delay the development of these crack lines, do add on to this post. :rolleyes:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

The "n" cap is known as "flashing". Cheap version is painted galvanized sheet, and the good stuff will be colourbond aluminium stuff.

However, flashing is normally used for party walls near the roof. Wall need to protrude so fire will not jump the boundary wall. For boundary walls, normally, waterproof the top side with cementitous waterproofing.

http://www.quicseal.com/www%20-%20proposal...04%20250607.pdf

Then use some horned finished 20mm thick granite slab that protrude 10mm on either side of the wall. Most important is to ensure that water does not flow down the wall, but drip off the slab edges.

To really ensure no cracks, cast a concrete wall.

yes, you are correct about it being near the roof, will check on this colorbond alu stuff. As for the wall, so i need to do the quicseal coating then granite on top with some over hand on both side of the wall, will that look strange?

Thanks yoongf, you amazes me with your knowledge. :D

The "n" cap is known as "flashing". Cheap version is painted galvanized sheet, and the good stuff will be colourbond aluminium stuff.

However, flashing is normally used for party walls near the roof. Wall need to protrude so fire will not jump the boundary wall. For boundary walls, normally, waterproof the top side with cementitous waterproofing.

http://www.quicseal.com/www%20-%20proposal...04%20250607.pdf

Then use some horned finished 20mm thick granite slab that protrude 10mm on either side of the wall. Most important is to ensure that water does not flow down the wall, but drip off the slab edges.

To really ensure no cracks, cast a concrete wall.

yes, you are correct about it being near the roof, will check on this colorbond alu stuff. As for the wall, so i need to do the quicseal coating then granite on top with some over hand on both side of the wall, will that look strange?

Thanks yoongf, you amazes me with your knowledge. :D

ah, this Quicseal thing is what my contractor was trying to tell me he's using for our toilets.

Hi there,

Quicseal 104 is only recommended for wet area and concealed area.

Contractors who recommend this coating system for this application is those contractor who only buying

materials from hardware shop and do not know the details of the product properties.

Possible to load the photos so we can hv a more detail on the defects before recommending the

solution to u?