Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
annjoy

♥ My Mcnair Rd 4-rm ♥

Why wont he replace the scratched laminates? The laminats are non-scratchable "SUPPOSEDLY" leh! Haiz and he should ask the laminate guy to come replace mah...

ok thanks for letting me that I should tell johnny i do not want to see patched jobs after rectification.

er.. did you ever ask for a sample of the laminate and do some scratch tests? try with sharp keys and a cleaver. mine scratched with a cleaver, but not with sharp keys. pergo (the expensive $7psf type, not the $4.5psf type) is the most scratch resistant surface while robina or $4.5psf pergo is 3 times less scratch resistant. i chose robina as it seems better in terms of water resistance (soaked in water for 2 days with no visible effects). if you bought the laminates via johnny, then you better ask johnny why they are so easily scratched? demand for discount or replacement with pergo/robina :D doubt he'll do replacement as that will cut his profits by about 2-3k

ya moving in this thurs BUT I am only staying in one common room.

your house doesn't look like liveable condition now... lack of privacy?

The carpentry and all will only start work after CNY. u got no carpentry??

Btw, for the carpentry also I feel a bit insecure. He said he cannot give me exact measurements. If I need exac t measurements so that i can fit the ikea fully extendable drawers, I can tell him now and he wi,lll ask his caprtener to incorporate it in.

my carpentry will be from ikea. not much anyways, i will be ordering my wardrobe on friday or sat so that they can deliver and install next mon or tue. most of my tv console is in already, left 2 more pieces which i don't intend to do first. i'm fixing up my kitchen cabinets now :D i suggest you get the ikea fully extendable drawers and pass them to the carpenter for good fit. otherwise sure have problems.

I asked if after the carpenter measure, will carpenter come up with a 2D drawing at least?

Johnny said no.

Then how?

Johnny said he will just build lor.

And here I am thinking, I am paying premium for a custom made cabinet... how come I dun get to see the exact measurements before they proceed? What if I dont like it? What if its not to my liking?

carpenters are the builders. the ID is supposed to give you the 2D or 3D drawing according to your needs and specifications whilst knowing what can be done and what cannot be done (eg. a 3m wardrobe without any support in the middle :D). seems like your ID isn't very... useful in your reno process.

And if I buy off the shelf like from Ikea, at least I can see what I am getting!

Actually ok la, kitchen a lot of people say Ikea one no good but hey, the wardrobe also same case leh!! he say for the inside layout, he cannot give me measurements... either i select from this sheet of templates he gave me, OR I design myself and tell him.

How come like tt?

Normal practice?

Again for wardrobe, he wont show me any 2D with exact measurements and he will just proceed to build.

In this case, isnt it better for me to buy off the shelves?

Isn't it better if they get approval from owners before building? Or is rectification a simple job if say I don't like the size of this wardrobe shelf? Gosh... this is puzzling!

that's why i rather buy from ikea, despite people saying ikea isn't good. the thing is.. you need to know what to do. the cabinets are not protected from water at the back so smart and cheap thing would be using acrylic spray to waterproof the back part. or you could spend some money and wrap the back part with plastic sheet and silicone the sides :D (hmm maybe i should do that)

good thing about ikea is that you decide the dimensions, you can change the setup if you're bored of it. it's modular so things can be replaced individually. i can replace my worktop for the whole kitchen at under $150 :D most people spend more than $1k on theirs.

a sheet of templates just means that he's not customizing for you, he's just giving you pre-customized furniture. i don't know if it's normal practice, but it sure is time-saving for him :(

one of the reasons why i rather DIY is that i make the decision to pay for things that i know i am getting. sometimes when people are paid in advance, the quality of after-service seems to be lacking. they rather do first, and ask you to accept it. if not, top up money.

my 10ft wardrobe with sliding mirror doors will cost me about $1k. (not full height though, only 203cm)

Edited by ossify

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi all!! Quick question before I rush out for YET another meeting!

Where to get hanging chairs like this?

09c_02_os_045_02.jpg

patricia-urquiola-hanging-swing-chair-1.

Thinking of getting one for my home :)

Btw, for the carpentry also I feel a bit insecure. He said he cannot give me exact measurements. If I need exac t measurements so that i can fit the ikea fully extendable drawers, I can tell him now and he wi,lll ask his caprtener to incorporate it in.

I asked if after the carpenter measure, will carpenter come up with a 2D drawing at least?

Johnny said no.

Then how?

Johnny said he will just build lor.

And here I am thinking, I am paying premium for a custom made cabinet... how come I dun get to see the exact measurements before they proceed? What if I dont like it? What if its not to my liking?

And if I buy off the shelf like from Ikea, at least I can see what I am getting!

Actually ok la, kitchen a lot of people say Ikea one no good but hey, the wardrobe also same case leh!! he say for the inside layout, he cannot give me measurements... either i select from this sheet of templates he gave me, OR I design myself and tell him.

How come like tt?

Normal practice?

my contractor's carpenter met up with me and sit down to discuss what i want to do. my contractor had initially come out with a hand drawn perspective diagram for reference.

what you can do is to tell your carpenter/ID what exactly you want in terms of no. of drawers, etc. measurements can be estimates first. then you can tell him you want to use IKEA drawers. it would be of help to him if you can provide the measurements for the IKEA drawers. he can then figure out how to fit them in and fabricate the cabinet accordingly.

thats what i did, except mine are Blum drawers. i did a rough sketch, and he took measurements of my oven, hob and sink and came up with a simple but easy to understand diagram.

if your ID dont understand, get him to arrange a meeting for you with his carpenter.

my contractor's carpenter met up with me and sit down to discuss what i want to do. my contractor had initially come out with a hand drawn perspective diagram for reference.

what you can do is to tell your carpenter/ID what exactly you want in terms of no. of drawers, etc. measurements can be estimates first. then you can tell him you want to use IKEA drawers. it would be of help to him if you can provide the measurements for the IKEA drawers. he can then figure out how to fit them in and fabricate the cabinet accordingly.

thats what i did, except mine are Blum drawers. i did a rough sketch, and he took measurements of my oven, hob and sink and came up with a simple but easy to understand diagram.

if your ID dont understand, get him to arrange a meeting for you with his carpenter.

Well, tt's pretty much what my ID said. To buy a couple of the drawers I want from Ikea and show it to the carpenter to fit in.

Kitchen still ok... but wardrobe? I have no idea man!

And don't the carpenters draw a 2D before they proceed with building? What if there was a miscomm? how to protect themselves from a redo and a loss?

er.. did you ever ask for a sample of the laminate and do some scratch tests? try with sharp keys and a cleaver. mine scratched with a cleaver, but not with sharp keys. pergo (the expensive $7psf type, not the $4.5psf type) is the most scratch resistant surface while robina or $4.5psf pergo is 3 times less scratch resistant. i chose robina as it seems better in terms of water resistance (soaked in water for 2 days with no visible effects). if you bought the laminates via johnny, then you better ask johnny why they are so easily scratched? demand for discount or replacement with pergo/robina :D doubt he'll do replacement as that will cut his profits by about 2-3k

your house doesn't look like liveable condition now... lack of privacy?

my carpentry will be from ikea. not much anyways, i will be ordering my wardrobe on friday or sat so that they can deliver and install next mon or tue. most of my tv console is in already, left 2 more pieces which i don't intend to do first. i'm fixing up my kitchen cabinets now :D i suggest you get the ikea fully extendable drawers and pass them to the carpenter for good fit. otherwise sure have problems.

carpenters are the builders. the ID is supposed to give you the 2D or 3D drawing according to your needs and specifications whilst knowing what can be done and what cannot be done (eg. a 3m wardrobe without any support in the middle :D). seems like your ID isn't very... useful in your reno process.

that's why i rather buy from ikea, despite people saying ikea isn't good. the thing is.. you need to know what to do. the cabinets are not protected from water at the back so smart and cheap thing would be using acrylic spray to waterproof the back part. or you could spend some money and wrap the back part with plastic sheet and silicone the sides :D (hmm maybe i should do that)

good thing about ikea is that you decide the dimensions, you can change the setup if you're bored of it. it's modular so things can be replaced individually. i can replace my worktop for the whole kitchen at under $150 :D most people spend more than $1k on theirs.

a sheet of templates just means that he's not customizing for you, he's just giving you pre-customized furniture. i don't know if it's normal practice, but it sure is time-saving for him :(

one of the reasons why i rather DIY is that i make the decision to pay for things that i know i am getting. sometimes when people are paid in advance, the quality of after-service seems to be lacking. they rather do first, and ask you to accept it. if not, top up money.

my 10ft wardrobe with sliding mirror doors will cost me about $1k. (not full height though, only 203cm)

Beggars cant be choosers. My tenancy at the current rented place ends tmr... so i need to shift already. lack of privacy or not, well at least that's temporary and I have a roof over my head!

Aiyah, the thing is, we insisted on using inovar. He recommended supreme.... we insisted inovar... sians... but inovar did the scratch and fire test!

I am weighing the pros and cons now of IKEA versus custom made.

anyway, I am idling my time away outside my new house. Sigh*

waiting for my bf to bring me the key to the house - cos he changed the lock for me today.

my neighbours here all hang their clothes by the corridor sia.... got one even more steady... mount those metal things on top and put like 5 bamboos across it. LOL like the public area is their own house like that!

Well, tt's pretty much what my ID said. To buy a couple of the drawers I want from Ikea and show it to the carpenter to fit in.

And don't the carpenters draw a 2D before they proceed with building? What if there was a miscomm? how to protect themselves from a redo and a loss?

yup...they should have minimally a hand-drawn diagram showing the measurements.

i think they protect themselves from a redo by asking you to accept it :unsure:

This is a revised drawing of my kitchen. I still think it's not nice.

Think I wanne do all WHITE on top cabinets and all wood grain laminates on bottom cabinets

kit_js_mcnair_e.jpg

This is a revised drawing of my kitchen. I still think it's not nice.

Think I wanne do all WHITE on top cabinets and all wood grain laminates on bottom cabinets

kit_js_mcnair_e.jpg

I think the drawing looks better than what u prefer. :).

What u prefer is more conventional. :)

Finally Finally, here's my OWNSELF planned Kitchen Cabinet Shelving layout.

Any experts here can help me take a look? :D

kitchen.gif

Annjoy, I am no expert but I believe u have everything planned nicely. :)

I think the drawing looks better than what u prefer. :).

What u prefer is more conventional. :)

LOL. I am so not a risk taker. LOL the curtain maker came to my place and asked me, "你敢吗?“ LOL cos he wanted to propose something daring to spice up the now very empty house. Hehehe

LOL. I am so not a risk taker. LOL the curtain maker came to my place and asked me, "你敢吗?“ LOL cos he wanted to propose something daring to spice up the now very empty house. Hehehe

What did the curtain maker propose for u? Kepo to know.

Sometimes it is gd to take some risks. Unless u want a cookie-cutter design. :) Usually for common folks like us, we don't have $$$ to burn to give our place a major overhaul all the time. So the more I think should take on some risks. Hee. The designs should also have some characters too. :)

What did the curtain maker propose for u? Kepo to know.

Sometimes it is gd to take some risks. Unless u want a cookie-cutter design. :) Usually for common folks like us, we don't have $$$ to burn to give our place a major overhaul all the time. So the more I think should take on some risks. Hee. The designs should also have some characters too. :)

You're the one for bold designs man! :)

The curtain maker just asked me to take bold prints for the curtains lor. Got the type that is plain or with very subtle designs on it and there are those that have very bold patterns. He say the bold one very nice and asked me if I dare or not! LOL

Btw, have you done your curtains yet? I havent decided on who to do my curtains!

Annjoy, I am no expert but I believe u have everything planned nicely. :)

Hee thanks but I just now wondering how thick is the width of the plank between each cabinet..... my ID cannot answer that...