Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
enrisa

Depressing: Built-in Oven Help

This is so depressing. We got our place recently and I've envisaged even b4 we bought a place, that I will (no matter what) have a built-in oven in my kitchen. I have even narrowed down to a model with Brandt (b4 we bought a place, i used a standalone oven which was ok but i didn't do much with it since it didn't have a lot of function). As my kitchen is fairly new, I wont be doing any reno to it.

But I discovered the worst piece of news about 1.5 weeks ago and I'm still in denial and hoping that I will find a simple solution without further breaking my bank account. That piece of news is that no oven will fit the current space I have with my existing kitchen cabinets. :~

I've explored other areas in my kitchen but the built in models wont fit. I think I'm giving a lot of stress to my fiance because I got so upset over the prospect of not having a built-in oven in the kitchen. I was asked casually the other day if I could work with a standalone oven unit - blasphemy! (drama right) I muttered under my own breath but ... sigh, tearing an area of the kitchen cabinet down to fit an oven seem very stupid but I love to bake and want to do my roasts, grills etc.

Please please please tell me there's an oven out there (any brand also can lah, so desperate now) whose depth is not > 52.5cm? Most brands I've seen is 52.5cm and taking into account of the wiring and all, I think I may need a depth of 60cm or so?

Alternatively, if anyone's using a standalone oven and does heavy baking, grills, roasts etc - let me know which brand and any comments?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I love baking too - so I do empathise with you!!! But it is quite strange that the depth of your cabinet is so shallow?? I thought they are usually standard 60cm deep??

Anyway, you may want to check out Turbo's oven TFX6605 (depending how many functions you want). The depth is 51cm according to the specs at the website.

HOpe it helps and Good luck!!

Ha!

i so empathize with you.

My space restrictions + budget shaped my final purchasing decision. The previous owner built the kitchen cabinet at 54cm with the worktop almost reaching the "standard 60cm". Long story short, I settled for an "acceptable" brand and with a depth of 35.5cm.

My ID is getting the carpenter to remove the cabinet doors, will do some work to make it look nice.

So you can have it protrude out a little and then build around it to look OK... hope it helps..

sorry to hear that sister.... not exactly sure how many types of oven r there. but u may wanna check this out: Aerogaz oven

good luck! :)

Edited by Batman

This is so depressing. We got our place recently and I've envisaged even b4 we bought a place, that I will (no matter what) have a built-in oven in my kitchen. I have even narrowed down to a model with Brandt (b4 we bought a place, i used a standalone oven which was ok but i didn't do much with it since it didn't have a lot of function). As my kitchen is fairly new, I wont be doing any reno to it.

But I discovered the worst piece of news about 1.5 weeks ago and I'm still in denial and hoping that I will find a simple solution without further breaking my bank account. That piece of news is that no oven will fit the current space I have with my existing kitchen cabinets. :~

I've explored other areas in my kitchen but the built in models wont fit. I think I'm giving a lot of stress to my fiance because I got so upset over the prospect of not having a built-in oven in the kitchen. I was asked casually the other day if I could work with a standalone oven unit - blasphemy! (drama right) I muttered under my own breath but ... sigh, tearing an area of the kitchen cabinet down to fit an oven seem very stupid but I love to bake and want to do my roasts, grills etc.

Please please please tell me there's an oven out there (any brand also can lah, so desperate now) whose depth is not > 52.5cm? Most brands I've seen is 52.5cm and taking into account of the wiring and all, I think I may need a depth of 60cm or so?

Alternatively, if anyone's using a standalone oven and does heavy baking, grills, roasts etc - let me know which brand and any comments?

Sorry, standard depth to accommodate ovens is two feet-- all kitchen cabinet makers should know that.

Stand alone ovens are nice too.

thanks all for your comments. I'm almost out of wits and apart from tearing my hair out, I don't think it's even possible for me to fit an oven in my existing cabinet whose depth is only 53cm. I keep asking myself who in the world would make a kitchen cabinet where the depth is non-standard!!!!! :~ I think I got angry at myself at one point for not spotting this but when you're so excited to find that one dream home of yours, i guess you tend to get caught up with the excitement and forget about these lil' things. I think its time I move on and find some other form of alternative and not drive everyone crazy over one oven :( My last alternative was to build a small island to fit it but it just makes the kitchen orientation look weird and i think ppl will think i'm crazy to blow say 2-5k for an island just to fit a 800-1k oven!

elfettucine - may i ask which brand did you get in the end?

Batman & Happy, thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look.

You'll be hard pressed to find a standalone oven that will fit a turkey.. Most 600mm built in ovens are of 58litres capacity, whereas I don't think you can find any standalone oven that will go beyond 40 to 45litres, maybe even less..

Don't think you can really squeeze a turkey in there, not recommended too cos the top of the turkey will be too close to the heating element, probably wouldn't cook evenly.

thanks all for your comments. I'm almost out of wits and apart from tearing my hair out, I don't think it's even possible for me to fit an oven in my existing cabinet whose depth is only 53cm. I keep asking myself who in the world would make a kitchen cabinet where the depth is non-standard!!!!! :~ I think I got angry at myself at one point for not spotting this but when you're so excited to find that one dream home of yours, i guess you tend to get caught up with the excitement and forget about these lil' things. I think its time I move on and find some other form of alternative and not drive everyone crazy over one oven :( My last alternative was to build a small island to fit it but it just makes the kitchen orientation look weird and i think ppl will think i'm crazy to blow say 2-5k for an island just to fit a 800-1k oven!

elfettucine - may i ask which brand did you get in the end?

Batman & Happy, thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look.

In the end, the smallest 'decent' oven I could find was Tecno.

http://www.tecnogas.com.sg/product_details...3-1126A74C0FD3}

Almost got a made in Germany Bosch, but it was more expensive and had less functions.

Had my eye on a made in Germany Electrolux, but was too deep (570mm) and read mixed reviews.

You can install the Tecno and have your carpenter build a "frame around it, so it doesn't look completely fugly. The carpenter could even cut out the backing of the kitchen cabinet to have more space to fit the oven.

U can try buying this standalone oven from Panasonic...42L

NN-CD997SYPQ

* Printopens new window

o Advanced powerful heating

o Enhanced heat circular system

o Big capacity

* Features

* Advanced powerful heating

o Additional new grill heater

o 5 way versatile cooking

o Convection, Grill, Microwave. 2 level convection and combination

o Faster cooking by 30% against previous model

* Enhanced heat circular system

o Heat is distributed evenly to every corner of the large oven

o Uniform 2 level cooking

* Big capacity

o 42 Litres

Don't be depress...there is always a way on solving this issue.

Edited by jaskel

If you manage to find a standalone oven that fits what you need (to fit a turkey), you need to check on the power of the oven. If too weak (low wattage), your turkey may take forever to roast. Even with built-in oven, it can take like 5-6 hours, so do look out for such things.

U can try buying this standalone oven from Panasonic...42L

NN-CD997SYPQ

* Printopens new window

o Advanced powerful heating

o Enhanced heat circular system

o Big capacity

* Features

* Advanced powerful heating

o Additional new grill heater

o 5 way versatile cooking

o Convection, Grill, Microwave. 2 level convection and combination

o Faster cooking by 30% against previous model

* Enhanced heat circular system

o Heat is distributed evenly to every corner of the large oven

o Uniform 2 level cooking

* Big capacity

o 42 Litres

Don't be depress...there is always a way on solving this issue.

Hi Jaskel - do you use this to do your baking, roasting, grilling?

do you have another space opp your stove where you can built a single column of cabinets and fit a Oven?

that will give u a built in and another extra storage space..

not sure if it works for you.. just a suggestions

hi charemme we did think about that but that would just make the kitchen walkway smaller so we ditched that idea :\

guess i'll just have to get a standalone oven