Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
purecat

How Much Can We Save If We Hire A Contractor Instead Of An Id ?

Generally the total amount you pay might be the same, but the things you get will be better if you cordinate yourself. I got a very good contractor coordinating the whole renovation for me, but i'm the one sourcing for my things like lights, toilet stuff. My contractor did give me his contacts, but i prefer to compare the prices myself and decide on who to buy from. Also you got to have some design sense or your own ideas in mind if you go without ID. My contractor did give me quite a fair bit of suggestions too.

Mine is 1152 sft condo, condo height is normally higher than HDB and thus many things are more expensive, but in total I spent around $50k for my reno, including hacking and re-do the toilets, kitchen, tiles, basically everything.

My friend bot a resale 4 room hdb flat and re-do everything like me, she's using ID, she spent $50k too, but her materials not as good as mine and my area is bigger than hers.

I still prefer to go by contractor, one of the reasons is that those ID design more or less the same and many I don't find practical, as a second home owner, I know what I want, even a spotlight if installed must have its purpose and function, not just for decoration.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

If you have the time, contractor will def be cheaper.

ID quoted me $30k for my new condo (no hacking or wetworks, just for built in and false ceilings!) which does not include lights, furniture, painting, curtains, appliances. I got a few ideas from the IDs then I engage my own contractors to do the built in etc and I spent only $9.7k on the reno works. Total was $35k including all lights, fans, whole house furniture, painting, curtains, solar film and appliances. :)

If you have the time, contractor will def be cheaper.

ID quoted me $30k for my new condo (no hacking or wetworks, just for built in and false ceilings!) which does not include lights, furniture, painting, curtains, appliances. I got a few ideas from the IDs then I engage my own contractors to do the built in etc and I spent only $9.7k on the reno works. Total was $35k including all lights, fans, whole house furniture, painting, curtains, solar film and appliances. :)

Can anyone share their tile contacts with me?

We have asked for 4 quotes. Already received 1 quote but surprise to see high markup for doors / door frames. Another friend who's quote we will be seeing soon ( this sat), over the phone told my husband about the quote for the tile we wanted. It is about $2 higher per sq foot. ( excluding labour )

Now we are contemplating getting a contractor instead. Or splitting up: floor get a tiler, cabinet get carpenter, plumbing get a plumber.

Just checking for those who done that before, how much can you save ?

Ours is a 5 room resale. Quite a fair bit of hacking to do also.

BUY CHINESE NEWSPAPER LOR . THE CONTRACTORS THERE VERY CHEAP . CHANGE TOILET BOWL THEY CHARGE $30 ONLY . IRON GATE $88 ONLY .

Though I have a contractor for my reno, I found myself coordinating a lot of the works. it seems the workers didn't know what was required!

Doing self coordination can save you a lot of money but is time intensive. Both are related, time and money, if you have time go ahead and diy coordinating. Else you are paying for Someone else's time to coordinate for you.

Hi,

For saying this, think the contractors & ID will hate me.

Just did my reno for condo recently, most things DIY.

Maybe due to my job (I'm in sales) so I understand that all things are cheaper if go direct. The contractors & IDs will sublet the jobs out to 3rd party and thus need to mark up prices.

My direct contacts & reno jobs

1)I engaged direct co. to hack my condo kitchen & 2 toilets (floor & wall tiles, kitchen cabinet, removal of sanitary wares in toilets & removal of debris) - for only $2K

I heard from the boss that the cost is lower for HDB as condo is strict with the reno timing so it would take them more days to complete as compared to HDB thus the higher cost for condo. ** The boss is so sweet to help hack wardrobe & other shelvings all at no extra cost.

The quotes that I get from contractors & IDs for just hacking (Kitchen & toilet wall & floor tiles) & removal of debris is - $2,600 - $2,800

** See the savings for going direct??

2) bi-fold doors, classic doors & iron gate - better to get direct from co. Source for quotes yourself & bargain a good price. The contractors would have earned 20-30% commission from your sales. If go direct, you may probably get 10-20% savings yourself. These co. can't offer 30% discount to direct customers as their main source of biz still come from IDs & contractors. Can't afford to offend them.

3) People know people in this trade. I got the contact for tiling job from my hacker. The tiler did my kitchen & toilet floor & wall tiles & I'm satisfied with the job done. I even went on site to see his workmanship & confirmed the job on the spot. I bought my own tiles though. Again, contractors will get 20-30% commission bringing you to choose tiles & you won't enjoy savings. I bought the tiles myself & got a discount for going direct (though the discount is not as much as the co. gives to contractor, but it's still savings)

The tiler charged me tiling job by per sqm, whereas the contractor charge me a lump sum. I heard from my tiler HDB toilet & kitchen tiling job is only $2+/sqm. The lowest quote I got from contractor is $3.50/sqm but my tiler only charges me $2.30/sqm. See the mark up? These contractors also find these tilers to do the job for them. The contractor get your deposit but will not pay these hacker & tilers, carpenters, plumbers etc so soon. So these people like to work direct with us, customers. Get paid on time.

4) For hacking of kitchen cabinet, the quote for direct is only $200-$300, but look, your quote is $600. All these savings here & there can get you new cutains, or whatever you like to buy.

5) I also engaged a worker for painting job (contact from my tiler). His pay is on daily basis. But same rules - I supply the paint etc. It's still cheaper than getting contractor. And contractor also earn commission from paint co.

6) I also engaged a co. to do my false ceiling in toilets (contact from my tiler). He quoted me $550 for 2 toilet false ceilings. My lowest quote from contractor is $780.

Enough said. Source direct will give you so much savings! : )

Please PM me all your lobang contacts ?? tiles/ bi fold door/ hacker/ painter !! :dribble: cos i gonna DIY myself !! hope i wont go crazy !!!

Hi there, im new to this forum, care to share those contacts with me??? am think of DIY / engaging ID or contractors....

Thanks in advance

Hi,

For saying this, think the contractors & ID will hate me.

Just did my reno for condo recently, most things DIY.

Maybe due to my job (I'm in sales) so I understand that all things are cheaper if go direct. The contractors & IDs will sublet the jobs out to 3rd party and thus need to mark up prices.

My direct contacts & reno jobs

1)I engaged direct co. to hack my condo kitchen & 2 toilets (floor & wall tiles, kitchen cabinet, removal of sanitary wares in toilets & removal of debris) - for only $2K

I heard from the boss that the cost is lower for HDB as condo is strict with the reno timing so it would take them more days to complete as compared to HDB thus the higher cost for condo. ** The boss is so sweet to help hack wardrobe & other shelvings all at no extra cost.

The quotes that I get from contractors & IDs for just hacking (Kitchen & toilet wall & floor tiles) & removal of debris is - $2,600 - $2,800

** See the savings for going direct??

2) bi-fold doors, classic doors & iron gate - better to get direct from co. Source for quotes yourself & bargain a good price. The contractors would have earned 20-30% commission from your sales. If go direct, you may probably get 10-20% savings yourself. These co. can't offer 30% discount to direct customers as their main source of biz still come from IDs & contractors. Can't afford to offend them.

3) People know people in this trade. I got the contact for tiling job from my hacker. The tiler did my kitchen & toilet floor & wall tiles & I'm satisfied with the job done. I even went on site to see his workmanship & confirmed the job on the spot. I bought my own tiles though. Again, contractors will get 20-30% commission bringing you to choose tiles & you won't enjoy savings. I bought the tiles myself & got a discount for going direct (though the discount is not as much as the co. gives to contractor, but it's still savings)

The tiler charged me tiling job by per sqm, whereas the contractor charge me a lump sum. I heard from my tiler HDB toilet & kitchen tiling job is only $2+/sqm. The lowest quote I got from contractor is $3.50/sqm but my tiler only charges me $2.30/sqm. See the mark up? These contractors also find these tilers to do the job for them. The contractor get your deposit but will not pay these hacker & tilers, carpenters, plumbers etc so soon. So these people like to work direct with us, customers. Get paid on time.

4) For hacking of kitchen cabinet, the quote for direct is only $200-$300, but look, your quote is $600. All these savings here & there can get you new cutains, or whatever you like to buy.

5) I also engaged a worker for painting job (contact from my tiler). His pay is on daily basis. But same rules - I supply the paint etc. It's still cheaper than getting contractor. And contractor also earn commission from paint co.

6) I also engaged a co. to do my false ceiling in toilets (contact from my tiler). He quoted me $550 for 2 toilet false ceilings. My lowest quote from contractor is $780.

Enough said. Source direct will give you so much savings! : )

Hi all,

Reply to this post. It doesn't matter who you get. Contractors or ID. Just go for the one you feel comfortable , resourceful, helpful, reliable, responsible, and last but not least. PRICE! :dancingqueen:

Thanks to Summer for such a big help and the exp in DIY his own house. Well, i got to say, if you have the time and its "cheaper" pls go ahead and DIY all the contacts. ID's and contractors wont hate you,if you really know this industry well. I am in this industry for 13 years. :yamseng: You can easy to get a so called direct contactor to do the job for you. But Direct contractor might give you the price of a owner price as well. And if you go to a tile shop directly and u think contractor can earn from you again? LOL means you do not know anything about this. Try to make a friend from a ID, maybe he will explain to you. 20%-30% commission! I wish i can get those commission too. :dribble:

Friend Summer, every ones has a profession and need a living, if you do not understand the industry well, i think better not destroy peoples rice bowl. LOL

4) For hacking of kitchen cabinet, the quote for direct is only $200-$300, but look, your quote is $600. All these savings here & there can get you new cutains, or whatever you like to buy. ---------------> i quoted $220 this my recent client in this forum.

--------> sad to say, maybe you got a high quote.

I am just saying the facts, no offence. :yamseng:

The Best way are, get a few quotes, check the material used, sizes, etc. BTW its a old post. LOL

Happy Week End to ALL!

:D

snoopy, u need to look at Summer Forever's date of posting. Would you think he is till hanging around in renotalk?

I was just trying my luck. Is ok. Since I confirm going direct to contractor. Maybe can use his old posting as a guideline.

Now is 2011, so I top up 20-30% on his price he obtained direct from tho co. For my own reference. LOL..

I was just trying my luck. Is ok. Since I confirm going direct to contractor. Maybe can use his old posting as a guideline.

Now is 2011, so I top up 20-30% on his price he obtained direct from tho co. For my own reference. LOL..

hihi...do you have any tiler contacts to share??

guys, this has been re-emphasised over and over again in many of the threads.

You need to know your reference prices to know whether u are getting a good deal or not. You have to know the Per unit prices for a standard grade of work. Eg. false ceiling is $2-2.5psf, tiling labour $2.5-3.5psf, carpentry sliding door warddrobe - $200-$220pf. These are for standard grade of materials and designs. Of course more complex designs/materials will be higher charge.

Going to a direct contractor doesnt mean one will get a lower price automatically. Every seller still wants to earn max profit, it's just that for the direct sub-con, he has a lower price cost to move down his price to, a general contractor needs to make the margin for coordinating the work. And don't assume contractors will definitely charge lesser than IDs. I've seen quotes from contractors which are significantly more than IDs which is ridiculous. Just calculate the per unit costs of all items and compare and the difference is so clear.

No contractor/ID/sub-con wants to sell themselves cheap, always trying to make more profit, the question is where's the cost price for each party? And also how much margin each party needs to make.