Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
socks

Weather Rubber Strip - Easy To Diy?

We realised that the weather rubber strips on our windows have worn out (resale place, so the weather strips are old and doesn't keep out rain). The heavy rains in these couple of weeks have caused rainwater to seep in and we were shocked to come home one day and see the parquet flooring 'flooded' near the windows. *heart pain* :( Now, we have to always line the window area with towels whenever we go out and sometimes they are soaked when we get home, esp after heavy downpour

Have gone to Home Fix and was recommended to get the weather rubber strips to DIY. Seems relatively manageable as it comes with adhesive tape on one side, just tear off and paste. However, am worried that I'm unable to do a good job as I've never done it before and will worsen the problem and it will rain again before we manage to get a contractor to fix the problem properly. Has anyone DIY-ed such 'operations', pls share your experience and also if any contractors you can recommend?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
We realised that the weather rubber strips on our windows have worn out (resale place, so the weather strips are old and doesn't keep out rain). The heavy rains in these couple of weeks have caused rainwater to seep in and we were shocked to come home one day and see the parquet flooring 'flooded' near the windows. *heart pain* :( Now, we have to always line the window area with towels whenever we go out and sometimes they are soaked when we get home, esp after heavy downpour

Have gone to Home Fix and was recommended to get the weather rubber strips to DIY. Seems relatively manageable as it comes with adhesive tape on one side, just tear off and paste. However, am worried that I'm unable to do a good job as I've never done it before and will worsen the problem and it will rain again before we manage to get a contractor to fix the problem properly. Has anyone DIY-ed such 'operations', pls share your experience and also if any contractors you can recommend?

which homefix you went to? i was searching for this and didn't find, actually I think DIY won't be hard....

Edited by Springf

which homefix you went to? i was searching for this and didn't find, actually I think DIY won't be hard....

went to the one at IMM, saw that they hv 4-5 different types and sizes. the staff said hv to tear out the existing one and bring there to get a suitable matching size one. so if you r thinking of doing it, better just tear out a small piece, just in case they don't hv a suitable one to fit your existing.

yes, was thinking tt DIY doesn't look that tough - just tear out existing n paste on new ones. but im living on the 8th floor and there are 6 individual windows to change, just worried abt standing up the ladder near open window, smething ive not done b4!

waether strips-- to keep air out, dunnno if can keepp rain out ---

rubber gaskets ( e black rubber) better at keeping rain out ---- but mus take out , buy exact size or cut to size than painstakingly put in --- not easy leh

most window manufaturers dun want to change for me -- they say hard wor

hardware shops sell both

Edited by fini

waether strips-- to keep air out, dunnno if can keepp rain out ---

rubber gaskets ( e black rubber) better at keeping rain out ---- but mus take out , buy exact size or cut to size than painstakingly put in --- not easy leh

most window manufaturers dun want to change for me -- they say hard wor

hardware shops sell both

Oh, you mean weather strips do not keep out rain? I thought it keeps out both air and rain! yup, my current one is black rubber. I had just received a noticed from the Building and Construction Authority, am asked to get the window contractor to come in to check if need to retrofit/replace the windows. will probably ask them to help change the rubber gaskets.

Yup, it's indeed not easy cause it looks really dangerous having to climb up and change on a ladder and what's more, worried i'll do a bad job and it will leak more! :(

Oh, you mean weather strips do not keep out rain? I thought it keeps out both air and rain! yup, my current one is black rubber. I had just received a noticed from the Building and Construction Authority, am asked to get the window contractor to come in to check if need to retrofit/replace the windows. will probably ask them to help change the rubber gaskets.

Yup, it's indeed not easy cause it looks really dangerous having to climb up and change on a ladder and what's more, worried i'll do a bad job and it will leak more! :(

mus retro fit windows-----

--- mus check if the window installer got install all 'i thinks is RIvets' on all the 'arms' of the window frame that are attached to the frame---

--- can use mirror to check if 'underside ' got install or not---my windows guy tell me & check for me

really unsure if weather strips can keep out rain--- shanghai tong at textile centre got sell-- check thier online catalogue,

rubber gaskets--- saw it hardware shops ( eunous got if find address will post )

but gotto check size --

...if diy , think u mus got cut out small piece & compare with those at shops

...& also buy glue & 'safety harness?!?!" --- realy not easy to diy

--- mus check if the window installer got install all 'i thinks is RIvets' on all the 'arms' of the window frame that are attached to the frame---

--- can use mirror to check if 'underside ' got install or not---my windows guy tell me & check for me

really unsure if weather strips can keep out rain--- shanghai tong at textile centre got sell-- check thier online catalogue,

rubber gaskets--- saw it hardware shops ( eunous got if find address will post )

but gotto check size --

yup, you're right, i think weather gaskets are better than weather strips. been checking on the internet.. gaskets are mentioned more frequently for its function to keep out rain

wow, is really not easy to diy. going to call the authorised window contractor to retrofit, hope they also provide service to change the rubber gaskets. hope they don't charge an arm and a leg to replace the gaskets

yup, you're right, i think weather gaskets are better than weather strips. been checking on the internet.. gaskets are mentioned more frequently for its function to keep out rain

wow, is really not easy to diy. going to call the authorised window contractor to retrofit, hope they also provide service to change the rubber gaskets. hope they don't charge an arm and a leg to replace the gaskets

all e best . pls update as i too wanna change my black rubber gaskets

authorised windows contractors--- check hdb & bca webbies---

for my gate, i engaged one hdb registered contractor CxS Metal amk ind pk2-

---- supposed to galvanised but not leh, soo all these contractors registered with hdb & BCa also no pakei, they can cheat , beware

all e best socks

fini

all e best . pls update as i too wanna change my black rubber gaskets

authorised windows contractors--- check hdb & bca webbies---

for my gate, i engaged one hdb registered contractor CxS Metal amk ind pk2-

---- supposed to galvanised but not leh, soo all these contractors registered with hdb & BCa also no pakei, they can cheat , beware

all e best socks

fini

thanks fini, will update as soon as possible - hope everything goes well n don't get cheated, had some horrible encounters with contractors when doing the renos

thanks fini, will update as soon as possible - hope everything goes well n don't get cheated, had some horrible encounters with contractors when doing the renos

fyi

if diy , use flat head - screw driver to push in new gaskets,

dun use sharp intsruments if not pierce & damage new rubber gaskets

this info painter told me yesterday

cheers

but gotto check size --

Hello Fini,

DO you have the address of the rubber gasket strip supplier?

I have been searching for the supplier but cannot find any...please help...

Thanks a million.