Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Umaisarah

Natural Living

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Met up with a few movers over the last week. DH already so confused, asking why I ask so many to come down.

Anyway, got quite varied quotes, so am putting them down here to get comments or feedback from others who have used them.

But first, an idea of how much stuff I'm bringing:

Abt 50-60 boxes of various sizes

1 3-seater sofa

1 chaise lounge

1 wooden bench

1 armchair

1 dining table

6 dining chairs

1 buffet board

1 tall display cabinet

1 large wall mirror

1 metal daybed

3 single-size foam mattress

1 chest of drawers

3 bookcases

1 2-door fridge

1 washing machine

1 42' plasma TV

2 tall speakers

1 Centre Speaker

1 subwoofer

1 Amplifier

1 28' LCD TV

1 iMac

2 printers

and about 15-20 small loose or hand carry items like floor & table lamps, telephone table and seat, floor vases, etc etc

Quotes received:

1. Kenny, Citimap Movers - quoted a lump sum of $900 which includes transporting 5 items to my Mom's place, and disposal of bulky items I'm throwing away like double-decker bed, sofa, etc. Price includes abt 70 boxes, FOC. Providing 1 box lorry and 1 open lorry. Shrink Wrap and normal protection.

2. Sky, Swift United - quoted $480 for my stuff and $180 for Mom's stuff. Giving abt 40 boxes, FOC. Nvr mention wat type of lorry they're providing. Wanted us to cfm then and there since he's got boxes available. Shrink Wrap and normal protection and I hv to apply for condo permit and give refundable deposit myself.

3. Alex, Soo Seng Transport - $850 for my stuff and $250 for Mom's stuff. 70 boxes with $2 refundable deposit. Box lorry. Shrink wrap and corner cardbox protection. Will apply for permit and give deposit on my behalf.

4. Paul, SG Bros - $390 per 15-foot lorry load. Pro-rated for less than full load. $30 for each diversion. 70 boxes with $2 refundable deposit. Shrink wrap and carpeted protection (claim he's the only company to do it). For my and mom's stuff, he estimated 1.5-2 lorry loads, so tt's max $810, including diversion to my mom's place. Exclude $140 for the boxes, which is refundable.

Still awaiting quotes from Frederick, DKNH Logistics and from Shalom Movers. Soo Seng Tpt looks very experienced and professional, but comes at a price. Citimap is not bad, but too bad they didn't give a breakdown. Switft Utd also ok, but the guy who came seemed too laid back and easy-going, and I hv to do the permit appln and deposit myself.

This is the 1st time we're using professional movers. The other 2x, we had used own labour (hubby's friends) and borrowed friends/relatives lorries. So we really don't know what to expect. What me and DH is scared abt movers is the surprises during the move itself, eg need extra lorry so more $$, or 'your furniture bulky, so need more $$', or "your lift lobby far, need more $$".

So far, leaning twd Paul from SG Bros. Quite an interesting character and he really explain in detail how his company does the move. Interesting approach in tt he charge per lorry-load which makes it more transparent, in a sense. He charges extra if the lift lobby is far, not on lift landing, etc etc, which I think other movers do but his difference is that he breaks it down so we know exactly what the charges are so there's no misunderstanding later. Also, my hubby likes him, and tt's important too :P

So unless the last two gave us fantastic quotes and vibes, we're most likely going with Paul.

Btw, 100% of the movers were recommended by RT forummers in one form or another :D Cheers, RT :yamseng:

Hi Umiasarah,

Thanks for the mover info. Very detailed assessment though on each and everyone of them.

Cheers.

Thanks Sam! We went to the main branch at Eunos last weekend. So many chairs there, but didn't see chairs like this.

Mbe need to go down again and take a slow walk :)

Just realised that you are a fan of the famous Red Devils football club. I suppose your house is done up by now. Ready to go?

Cheers.

Just realised that you are a fan of the famous Red Devils football club. I suppose your house is done up by now. Ready to go?

Cheers.

Hi England. No, I'm just going to start :)

This Wed, the electrician is going to start doing the electrical works, then followed by false ceiling, then lights, then carpentry, then final painting, and THEN I move in. So, in all it will take about 4 weeks, give and take.

YES, I'm a RED DEVIL all the way :P. Am feeling a little bit blue now because they seem to be out of the title race now. **** you, Chelsea!

But they're still doing better than Liverpool :D My DH is big fan.

Hey, have you collected your keys??

Yes, the keys are finally in my hands :yeah:

Actually, the lawyer handed me one whole bag of stuff, including the keys.

There's the oven and air-con manuals and warranties, some notices from the mgmt office, and a book on maintenance rules.

When I opened the letter box last weekend, almost fainted. Sooooo many letters and 80% of them are spam from real estate agents, interior designers, gadget sellers etc. These pple are actually willing to pay stamps to get their spam letters delivered!

Had intended to take pictures of the keys and post them here but was so bz running around over the weekend, didn't hv time :)

Hi England. No, I'm just going to start :)

This Wed, the electrician is going to start doing the electrical works, then followed by false ceiling, then lights, then carpentry, then final painting, and THEN I move in. So, in all it will take about 4 weeks, give and take.

YES, I'm a RED DEVIL all the way :P. Am feeling a little bit blue now because they seem to be out of the title race now. **** you, Chelsea!

But they're still doing better than Liverpool :D My DH is big fan.

Okay.

Good luck in your upcoming renovation.

Please share the same criticial assessment on your electrician as well.

Why are you a Man Utd fan through and through? Is it becoz they won the championship back to back? I am just curious. Yes, the table doesnt lie. Man Utd is ranked higher than Liverpool but they are not necessarily better than Liverpool in footballing terms. Debt wise, Man Utd is not much better than Liverpool. Both are managed by the yanks.

Cheers.

Renovation will officially start on Wednesday when the electrician come in to do the work.

Reno permit is still pending cuz the cheque I had written as 'deposit' to the mgmt office had to be redone cuz the chq has to be addressed to the Mgmt Strata instead of the developer :bangwall: This is totally the Mgmt Office's fault, but yet they dun want to give permit first and chq come in later. Anyway, I told my ID, dun care, can start first with electrical works.

Remember I mentioned that I fired my original electrician? Well, I got a new one, but becuz his prices are higher, I now hv to fork out nearly $1,000 more :(

Heart pain, heart pain, but when I read other forummers quote, I think I'm not so bad one, lah. Altogether he charge me $2,500 for about 20+ lighting points, relocate/add sockets, install lights, etc. Funny thing is he charge me $20 for installing the balcony lights and he put a note in the quote 'Dangerous - Expensive' :lol: Not sure if this is the norm, but I thought, since it IS quite hazardous, $20 is reasonable.

Okay.

Good luck in your upcoming renovation.

Please share the same criticial assessment on your electrician as well.

Why are you a Man Utd fan through and through? Is it becoz they won the championship back to back? I am just curious. Yes, the table doesnt lie. Man Utd is ranked higher than Liverpool but they are not necessarily better than Liverpool in footballing terms. Debt wise, Man Utd is not much better than Liverpool. Both are managed by the yanks.

Cheers.

Been a Man U fan since the days when Bryan Robson was captain. Then I kind of lose interest during Eric Cantona time, and then when got married, and found out DH was a Liverpool fan, got interested again. But I dun really follow their matches that closely. Dunno leh, why I'm a fan.

True, the BPL is now controlled by Yanks and the Middle Easterners and most of them hv debts the size of a 3rd World GDP. But yet, they suck us in, season after season.

Just to share, the avatar is from a pic I took when I was in Manchester and took a tour of Old Trafford abt 2 years back. U can just see my shoulder in the left side of the pic. But to tell u the truth, if I had been in Liverpool or London, I would hv gone down to Liverpool or Chelsea's stadiums too, just out of curiousity. I'm just a fan of BPL and most things English :D (but that doesn't extend to ID, though!)

Damage Report!

Upgraded MBR TV from sucky 21" Samsung LCD to a 32" Sony Bravia EX3 with the eco features. RRP $899, discount to $649, and i bargain further to $609 after I told them that Best Denki was offering it at tt price. Which is the truth, I swear :D But then it's cash and carry and I hv to buy the brackets separately.

QUESTION: Where can I get wall brackets for plasma and LCD TVs? The Audio House salesguy asked me to go to Sim Lim Tower, even tho AH also sell brackets. He says it's cheaper, can get for $30. Any particular shop or brand to recommend? I dun want to be walking round SLT and be accosted by every Ah Beng salesguy there. I need one for 42" and one for 32". Anyone buy from this shop Jia Ying Trading at Sim Lim Square before? or Planet Elements at Toh Guan? Or Optvia? They're the only 3 I can find online.

Stepped into ION Orchard for the 1st time last Sunday to pay a visit to XZQT. They had a dining chair with a similar design to the one I posted online earlier. Was selling for about $308 per piece after discount. Sigh....very very tempted but not now lah........ :( Want to check if got cheaper versions elsewhere. But one good thing abt XZQT - their pdts look to be solidly built (unlike the designer copies which look quite flimsy) and supposed to be made in Italy, so :shrug: have to pay extra if you want quality, lah......

Also had a pleasant discovery last week. Ikea now has its own outdoor range, yeah! :yeah:

I have my eye on the Ammero or Alhorma chair, just $250 for a single-seater. So, if you're looking for outdoor furniture, can check them out.

ps: Sim Lim Square is different with Sim Lim Tower. The AH guy mentioned Sim Lim Tower. That place has no ahbengs, only ahpeks. Many hard-core electronic stuff.

Damage Report!

Upgraded MBR TV from sucky 21" Samsung LCD to a 32" Sony Bravia EX3 with the eco features. RRP $899, discount to $649, and i bargain further to $609 after I told them that Best Denki was offering it at tt price. Which is the truth, I swear :D But then it's cash and carry and I hv to buy the brackets separately.

QUESTION: Where can I get wall brackets for plasma and LCD TVs? The Audio House salesguy asked me to go to Sim Lim Tower, even tho AH also sell brackets. He says it's cheaper, can get for $30. Any particular shop or brand to recommend? I dun want to be walking round SLT and be accosted by every Ah Beng salesguy there. I need one for 42" and one for 32". Anyone buy from this shop Jia Ying Trading at Sim Lim Square before? or Planet Elements at Toh Guan? Or Optvia? They're the only 3 I can find online.

Stepped into ION Orchard for the 1st time last Sunday to pay a visit to XZQT. They had a dining chair with a similar design to the one I posted online earlier. Was selling for about $308 per piece after discount. Sigh....very very tempted but not now lah........ :( Want to check if got cheaper versions elsewhere. But one good thing abt XZQT - their pdts look to be solidly built (unlike the designer copies which look quite flimsy) and supposed to be made in Italy, so :shrug: have to pay extra if you want quality, lah......

Also had a pleasant discovery last week. Ikea now has its own outdoor range, yeah! :yeah:

I have my eye on the Ammero or Alhorma chair, just $250 for a single-seater. So, if you're looking for outdoor furniture, can check them out.

Cool! the price of the outdoor items in ikea is around my budget! But is the wood lasting? So far i know about chengai and teak for outdoor wood though.

I remember going to SL tower! Very dodgy place, but then the components are cheaper than SL SQ.

ps: Sim Lim Square is different with Sim Lim Tower. The AH guy mentioned Sim Lim Tower. That place has no ahbengs, only ahpeks. Many hard-core electronic stuff.

I remember going to SL tower! Very dodgy place, but then the components are cheaper than SL SQ.

tt's why I ask, lor. I dun want to walk ard SL tower looking and asking around. I rather go straight to SL Square to this Jia Ying shop.

Cool! the price of the outdoor items in ikea is around my budget! But is the wood lasting? So far i know about chengai and teak for outdoor wood though

Not sure leh...I dun think they use wood, it's made of plastic which looks like rattan or wicker. Most of the outdoor furniture shop use this material. They did say in the website that we can leave the furniture out all summer. Not sure if they refer to Swedish or Singapore summer :D

Chengai and teak usually use for outdoor decking, tho they are some teak furniture like lounger and position chair. but I thot they look kind of old-fashioned :P

Not sure leh...I dun think they use wood, it's made of plastic which looks like rattan or wicker. Most of the outdoor furniture shop use this material. They did say in the website that we can leave the furniture out all summer. Not sure if they refer to Swedish or Singapore summer :D

Chengai and teak usually use for outdoor decking, tho they are some teak furniture like lounger and position chair. but I thot they look kind of old-fashioned :P

position chair and folding chair is okie to me, just buy hallo and put on the chairs will be super comfy and not so old -fashion? I was interested in the plastic rattan or wicker, but was told if 1 of the weave is cut or broke for whatever reason, the whole weave will get unraveled. so we decided to go the normal hardwood chairs and table.

Damage Report!

----Think you can buy that in harvey norman... or call sony and get the agent to bring one when they install it for you and pay them on the spot.

------they have a warehouse in west coast area (near my new place!) think they have sales there.. you can check it out!

them out.

position chair and folding chair is okie to me, just buy hallo and put on the chairs will be super comfy and not so old -fashion? I was interested in the plastic rattan or wicker, but was told if 1 of the weave is cut or broke for whatever reason, the whole weave will get unraveled. so we decided to go the normal hardwood chairs and table.

---- oh no! just bought one of those plastic woven chairs!! hope mine lasts... forgot to ask about the warranty. didn't like the solid teak set coz it'll look sooooo bulky in my puny balcony

Edited by patsy_sg

---- oh no! just bought one of those plastic woven chairs!! hope mine lasts... forgot to ask about the warranty. didn't like the solid teak set coz it'll look sooooo bulky in my puny balcony

Where did u buy your chairs?