Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
baby81984

3-room Resale In The West

Hi, thank you for your kind words.. we are hardly experts enough to give classes.. we are just love to try out new ideas we see off the net.. we will be happy to give our 2 cents worth to anyone who has difficulties with DIY-ing... :D

cheers!

I guess I am being inspired by both of you and this time for my new place I will take some time to DIY my workspace using IKEA materials.

Thanks for your on going posting and DIY ideas. Frankly speaking, I am a very lazy person but recently being inspired by few forumers here for doing DIY stuff and I can feel the excitement and satisfaction from them. So, wanna try it out after my reno.

Cheers:) Emobebe

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I guess I am being inspired by both of you and this time for my new place I will take some time to DIY my workspace using IKEA materials.

Thanks for your on going posting and DIY ideas. Frankly speaking, I am a very lazy person but recently being inspired by few forumers here for doing DIY stuff and I can feel the excitement and satisfaction from them. So, wanna try it out after my reno.

Cheers:) Emobebe

hI Emobebe,

we too started out as being lazy people, if i was asked whether i would do any DIY 2yrs ago, i would have said "nah".

all this DIY stuff started with me spotting a bird cage light at a shop selling at $200+. Wifey said its easy to make and she proved it. It really is not difficult! SLowly we progressed by learning from blogs...the latest project is the biggest by far.

While the process is tiring, the satisfaction cannot be described. Here is a good site on ikea stuff, where people post their "hacks". It really shows how creative people can be!

http://www.ikeahackers.net/

Have fun! :)

The table project

Wifey needed a sewing table, brainstormed tons of methods of how to do it. Went to ikea and got an inspiration. So we got this:

Around $110bucks for this. Another $7 for 2 more pieces of Gorm wood (not in pic).

Bought more L-brackets (wife's latest new favourite), screws, etc.

Table is around 160cm long, 50cm deep. With Plastic boxes as drawers for storage of stuff.

IMAG1110.jpg

Gorm is actually a series by ikea for shelvings, so the they have this irritating plastic thing on the shelves. So hard to take out!

IMAG1109.jpg

Joined up the wood with L brackets, screws:

IMAG1125.jpg

Kiasu Singaporeans. Overdesigned or a safety measure? :P But its sturdy. Thats all that matters.

IMAG1132.jpg

Final look. (for the time being). We probably will extend the table. :)

We think it will look better after we hang the tree branch above the table. YAy!

IMAG1135.jpg

Edited by gimz63251073

IMAG0269.jpg

That was then.

This is now.

70s door grille becomes our "feature wall" in the WIW area.

IMAG1166.jpg

IMAG1163.jpg

Habouring the thought of pasting a mirror behild the door grille, on the wall to add illusion of space..

Curtain Hooks from IKEA. Hope they can hold up the heavy grille!

IMAG1165.jpg

What a beauty...

IMAG1164.jpg

IMAG0269.jpg

That was then.

This is now.

70s door grille becomes our "feature wall" in the WIW area.

IMAG1166.jpg

IMAG1163.jpg

Habouring the thought of pasting a mirror behild the door grille, on the wall to add illusion of space..

Curtain Hooks from IKEA. Hope they can hold up the heavy grille!

IMAG1165.jpg

What a beauty...

IMAG1164.jpg

Nice innovative use of the grille. REcycling and reusing to save the earth and beatifying your place!

Finally we did up the spare bedroom. It will be a sewing room + reading room for us.

We put the old window grilles to good use. :)

Hung a poem made by a China guy on the streets using my chinese name. :P

IMAG1184.jpg

Closer look at the fan. Too much stuff in the room, so put the fan there. Turns out to be a good colour contrast!

IMAG1186.jpg

On the other side: The DIY sewing table + bookcase.

IMAG1187.jpg

The luggage here would possibly be our last project, given that we already have NIL space left to put stuff. Its a old suitcase from my grandma's time. We intend to paint it and add some fabric inside. Probably use it as a display or what....

IMAG1190.jpg

When do you stop doing stuff for your house?

Never, says my wife. We started buying stuff at IKEA's annual sale 2 years ago. Come 7 July, it will be our 3rd IKEA sale!

OK, we have done some small projects after discovering Ban Heng Leong, a wood supplier @ Jalan Berseh. They always have this shelve of lelong wood outside. Picked up this round piece for $1. And did our favourite hobby. :)

IMAG1225.jpg

Our dustbin cover!! Handle @ $1 as well. Its got a retro feel...somehow...

IMAG1230.jpg

IMAG1231.jpg

Found this cute bucket and painted it white as our chalk holder. yay!

IMAG1259.jpg

We picked this discarded chair up...

IMAG1226.jpg

This chair was sitting outside our door step collecting lots of dust due to our laziness... Finally we got it moving. Half way done now i guess.

1. Sanded

2. Primed

3. Painted

To do:

4. Seal it

5. Match with seat cushion

6. Sit on it. :)

That was then, so this is now:

IMAG1432.jpg

IMAG1435.jpg

IMAG1434.jpg

**The colour is turqoise, not as blue blue as it seems.**

The sofa i always wanted. Retro kind, the kind that has slim handles as well. Chanced upon a person selling it on gumtree.sg at $60, so we bought it!

Sofa was in good condition.

IMAG1568.jpg

IMAG1572.jpg

So we got down to working on it. The usual process of sanding, priming and painting it white.

IMAG1573.jpg

Bought Foam for it. Bought fabric from IKEA. My wife made them into covers!!

IMAG1591.jpg

Final product:

IMG-20120114-WA0000.jpg

Junk we picked up. Those that was dumped at the HDB void deck, we are literally karang guni in disguise...

IMAG1604.jpg

IMAG1606.jpg

This piece is extremely hard to sand off, with like thousands of layers of lacquer used! You can see the difference between sand and unsanded areas.

But the wood grains are really nice though..

IMAG1605.jpg

Still work in process, gonna rush to make it before CNY! :)

Edited by gimz63251073

Completion of our shoe cabinets!!

Before:

IMAG1034.jpg

After:

P1090760.jpg

P1090757.jpg

IMAG1084.jpg

IMAG1085.jpg

where did you get the payphone from? I been searching high and low for it. thanks!

where did you get the payphone from? I been searching high and low for it. thanks!

Hi, we got it from the "thieves market" at Sungei road.

Near to Sim Lim square. But it depends on luck whether u can find it.

Hi, we got it from the "thieves market" at Sungei road.

Near to Sim Lim square. But it depends on luck whether u can find it.

thanks!