Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
moneymonkey

Reconstruction Approval - Is An Achitect Required?

Dear All,

I am currently applying permit from BCA for reconstruction of my home from a 2storey terrace to a 2.5 storey house. my gfa has increased by more than 50%.

I know i need a QP for the BCA building plan approval and TOP.

But do i need to engage an architect for the approval application and TOP?

Or can i use my current PE (professional Engineer) only for the application?

many thanks.

David

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I remembered when i was evaluating a development, there were many URA forms that required an architect to sign off. Similarly, when my friend rebuild his landed property, his dad drew out the plans (as he was in the construction industry) but still needed an architect.

If the GFA has increased by so much, have you checked that it has no exceeded the allowable area ? There are so many things to check ...

Are you going to completely demolish the present place ?

Dear All,

I am currently applying permit from BCA for reconstruction of my home from a 2storey terrace to a 2.5 storey house. my gfa has increased by more than 50%.

I know i need a QP for the BCA building plan approval and TOP.

But do i need to engage an architect for the approval application and TOP?

Or can i use my current PE (professional Engineer) only for the application?

many thanks.

David

I remembered when i was evaluating a development, there were many URA forms that required an architect to sign off. Similarly, when my friend rebuild his landed property, his dad drew out the plans (as he was in the construction industry) but still needed an architect.

If the GFA has increased by so much, have you checked that it has no exceeded the allowable area ? There are so many things to check ...

Are you going to completely demolish the present place ?

Thanks for the reply. the allowable area, is it the plot ratio or site coverage? plot ratio is 1.4

my land area is approx 3000ft.

The current built up is 1800ft. i am increasing the gfa to about 3200ft.

I should be able to comply to both. the main increase in GFA is for the attic.

I am doing a reconstruction, wont be demolishing the present place.

I was reading the submission notes in BCA, QP person can either be a architect or PE.

http://www.ura.gov.sg/homeowner/redevelop(1house).htm

my 5cents worth...almost done with my floorplan then decided to consult an aunt who's a VP of a developer company. Was then told that 2.5 vs 3storey not much difference if i'm doing reconstruction. Then consulted my architect who told me that architect cost is $2500 difference and total paperwork difference is about 10k. Construction difference is also about 10k difference. So grand total difference btw 2.5 and 3storey imo is about 20-30k.

Although till now i still do not understand what is gpa or gfa but it kind of solve my poor ventilation(no proper windows at the backside of the attic) and fengshui (sloping roof) issues when having a masterbedroom on the attic floor. The solution for good ventilation in attic for me was about 6k

But then again, developer's mentality is always to build to achieve maximum build-in area to sell higher price but her analysis does make sense. For me, the bad side to 3storey would be that my unit would stand out like a sore thumb. A way to reduce architect cost is also to dig through 20yr archive of floorplans, pick out the one u want and tell architect to copy = zero headache on ventilation/walking area issues

Redevelopment = new erection. Technically can go up to 6storey if u want. CONFIRM must do bomb shelter (waste $ and space), requires micropiling (expensive) coz terrace houses are smaller and cheaper piling system can't enter so LL pay more for micropiling. Advantage can rebuild such that you can make sure there are no silly pillars running through your house since they can be planned in advance and be hidden

Reconstruction = as long as u maintain certain structure of the existing house, take a gamble with SCDF maybe no need to do bomb shelter, most of the time using extra footings as foundation.

my 5cents worth...almost done with my floorplan then decided to consult an aunt who's a VP of a developer company. Was then told that 2.5 vs 3storey not much difference if i'm doing reconstruction. Then consulted my architect who told me that architect cost is $2500 difference and total paperwork difference is about 10k. Construction difference is also about 10k difference. So grand total difference btw 2.5 and 3storey imo is about 20-30k.

Although till now i still do not understand what is gpa or gfa but it kind of solve my poor ventilation(no proper windows at the backside of the attic) and fengshui (sloping roof) issues when having a masterbedroom on the attic floor. The solution for good ventilation in attic for me was about 6k

But then again, developer's mentality is always to build to achieve maximum build-in area to sell higher price but her analysis does make sense. For me, the bad side to 3storey would be that my unit would stand out like a sore thumb. A way to reduce architect cost is also to dig through 20yr archive of floorplans, pick out the one u want and tell architect to copy = zero headache on ventilation/walking area issues

Redevelopment = new erection. Technically can go up to 6storey if u want. CONFIRM must do bomb shelter (waste $ and space), requires micropiling (expensive) coz terrace houses are smaller and cheaper piling system can't enter so LL pay more for micropiling. Advantage can rebuild such that you can make sure there are no silly pillars running through your house since they can be planned in advance and be hidden

Reconstruction = as long as u maintain certain structure of the existing house, take a gamble with SCDF maybe no need to do bomb shelter, most of the time using extra footings as foundation.

What did you do for good ventilation?