Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Kintaro

Opennet Optic Fiber Installation... Problems!

Hi all,

Opennet will be installing the optic fibre in a few weeks time. So far I am very confused on how it is going to be like..Thus, I need help and advices.

LivingRoom.jpg

The above is my living room, I intend to hide most of the optic fiber inside the false ceiling. So here's the problem..

1) Is it possible to hide the fiber inside the false ceiling?

2) If so, who should I contact before the installation by opennet?

This is my guess on the installation before the opennet guys come

1) Hire someone to drill a hole into the false ceiling for the entry point

2) He will then install trunkings inside the false ceiling, he will be removing my downlights to access the false ceiling

3) The exit hole will be drilled and he will lay a wire/string inside the trunking for the Opennet installers to route the fibre inside

Totally no experience in this...so do come in and share your tips and advices..:)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi all,

Opennet will be installing the optic fibre in a few weeks time. So far I am very confused on how it is going to be like..Thus, I need help and advices.

LivingRoom.jpg

The above is my living room, I intend to hide most of the optic fiber inside the false ceiling. So here's the problem..

2) He will then install trunkings inside the false ceiling, he will be removing my downlights to access the false ceiling

3) The exit hole will be drilled and he will lay a wire/string inside the trunking for the Opennet installers to route the fibre inside

Totally no experience in this...so do come in and share your tips and advices..:)

Hi

I have spoken to opennet till I vomited blood..haha! If you are a young chap, by all means call their hotline..Ok, back to your questions.

1) Hide fiber inside false ceiling? Impossible from what I know unless you open up your ceiling for them.

2) Drilling holes in ceiling and let cables run through? Impossible too because they say without trunking, will affect the cables..

3) Opennet contractor install trunking inside false ceiling? Impossible too. They will do it outside

From what I know, the only way for opennet to run the trunking and cables thru your ceiling is to open up your ceiling, then get them to run the trunking inside the ceiling. I know this is **** frustrating and lots of bull**** but this is the only way.

Edited by htng

When i did my false ceiling, i asked them to install a conduit with a pull through wire so that they can pull the fibre-optic cable to the termination point. That was what Opennet recommended.

You probably need to get some ceiling works guy to come and cut access panels to lay the conduit before plastering/repainting it back again ...

The fibre-optic cable can be quite fragile if not protected within a conduit or plastic trunking ...

Hi all,

Edited by blueocean

When i did my false ceiling, i asked them to install a conduit with a pull through wire so that they can pull the fibre-optic cable to the termination point. That was what Opennet recommended.

You probably need to get some ceiling works guy to come and cut access panels to lay the conduit before plastering/repainting it back again ...

The fibre-optic cable can be quite fragile if not protected within a conduit or plastic trunking ...

my ID took out part of the trunking when he tried to box up part of the area the fibre cable comes in through the main door.. so long the cable is not bent or twisted.. it should be fine..

i tink i gonna hav the same prb as u...

i got custom furnitures all over my living room, then false ceiling and wallpaper runs through...

i tink its impossible for them to install

Thanks for the inputs!

I have called the hotline and they have send me the following via email

Attached are some suggestions on general guidelines which may be helpful to home owners who may be doing some renovations works within the Home.

1. Designate a Location:

(i) Designate a particular location, such as a designated closet, where all the telecommunication facilities can be installed within. This will facilitate connections and ensure that the installation can be performed presentably & neatly.

2. Ensure “Conduit or Path” To The Designated Location So That Fibre Can Be Installed

For Condominiums / HDBs / High Rise Residential Homes

(ii) Ensure or cater for an empty 20mm uPVC conduit or PVC trunking compartment to the above location (eg. The closet). The conduit should be installed in straight runs or be able to accommodate bending radius of the central line of the conduit not less than 100mm.

(iii) A draw rope shall be provided in the empty conduit so that the fibre cable can be installed subsequently.

For Landed Homes

Ensure 1 empty 50mm diamerter uPVC continuous lead-in and underground pipe to be provided from 1m beyond the roadside drain to the designated location.

Ensure that there is a draw rope in the empty conduit so that the fibre cable can be installed subsequently.

This will facilitate the installation of fibre into the home & near points of connection.

3. Ensure Accessories At The Designated Location Is Catered For

(iv) Install twin 13A power point/socket at the designated location (eg. Within the closet), so as to provide power to any equipment.

(v) Install RJ45 patch panel. No. of ports should be greater than the no. of rooms of units .

4. Internal Wiring / Cabling

(vi) Owners are encouraged to install Cat 6 cables for internal cabling from the patch panel to all rooms. This will ensure internal cabling connectivity.

Its important to note that Unshielded Twisted Pair (Cat 6) cables should not exceed 100m runs from the RJ45 patch panel to the RJ45 wall outlet.

Regards

The OpenNet Team

Now I think I need to ask someone to help me install the conduit/trunking inside the false ceiling. But who should I call? An interior designer?

Is he good? I can just drop him an email or call him up to check if he is willing to take up the job.

Are we allowed to conceal the opennet fibre optics? Actually, i heard can place termination point near to the door...future tv connection will be wireless...Is that true?

future tv connection will be wireless...Is that true?

As you have said.... future.... nobody know la.... Even if it is wireless, it will be exp when it first launch. cheers!

The opennet fibre optics is no different from the SCV points. Im sure in the future, the Opennet points will become a "standard".

The termination point for the Opennet is no different from the SCV point except it uses "fiber-optic" rather than coaxial for the SCV point. The SCV point can be hooked up to a standard cable modem or a wireless cable modem. It is the same for the Opennet.

Are we allowed to conceal the opennet fibre optics? Actually, i heard can place termination point near to the door...future tv connection will be wireless...Is that true?

you can use wireless for opennet. and place it next to the door.

but in that case, you need to be sure that the wireless signal can reach all parts of your house. especially the bedrooms since you may wan to use computers or tvs in the bedrooms.

also, since opennet is "supposedly" capable of gigabit speeds (1000mbps) and even the fastest wireless N is only capable of 300mbps, you will not be able to fully utilise the bandwidth.

if you are doing up your reno at the moment, 2 ways to do things. run cat 6 network cables and terminate them in a cabinet near the door and do up the opennet point in that cabinet. or get the electrician to lay a conduit to where you wan the opennet point to be.

I did the 2nd method, and also laid network cables thruout the house terminating them in a "network cabinet" near the tv.

IMG_3465.JPG

see the conduit from the door, and also the bunch of network cables

you can use wireless for opennet. and place it next to the door.

but in that case, you need to be sure that the wireless signal can reach all parts of your house. especially the bedrooms since you may wan to use computers or tvs in the bedrooms.

also, since opennet is "supposedly" capable of gigabit speeds (1000mbps) and even the fastest wireless N is only capable of 300mbps, you will not be able to fully utilise the bandwidth.

if you are doing up your reno at the moment, 2 ways to do things. run cat 6 network cables and terminate them in a cabinet near the door and do up the opennet point in that cabinet. or get the electrician to lay a conduit to where you wan the opennet point to be.

I did the 2nd method, and also laid network cables thruout the house terminating them in a "network cabinet" near the tv.

IMG_3465.JPG

see the conduit from the door, and also the bunch of network cables

Cheers buddy!Really helped me with this.Ceilings bout to go up in a couple of days.Now gotta get contractor to lay conduit..