Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fengwei

Recommendation For A Decent Sound System.

Popped in to Cash Converters in Tampines this morning and found;

Kef Cresta 3s - S$129 (probably about right price wise for SH) - reasonable condition although didn't check the cones as the grills were on. One plastic tab stuck in the top of the banana plug connectors but should be fairly easy to remove. An example of what they look like are in this link (this is not where I saw them) or from the Kef site here (choose late 1990s -> Cresta -> Cresta 3).

Mordant Short 5.30 - S$129 (IIRC). Bit battered and the looks are ...... distinctive :D. Interestingly the most info I have found on them is from Vietnamese forums.

The Crestas would be tempting to me if I was starting of a system at a budget.

RB

Hmm, the Crestas look good. The 90db sensitivity is just right. But floorstanding... in the bedroom.... Any bookshelf suggestions? :/

-Ely

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
I'm also thinking of taking the floorstanders for the 1000 series...

but the general reviews are that the 2000 series are better?

no?

hmmm...

I didn't try the 2000 series..actually chanced upon hearing it as other ppl was auditioning it..it might sound a bit too bright for some ppl..but for me not so bad..paired it with a velodyne cht8

I didn't try the 2000 series..actually chanced upon hearing it as other ppl was auditioning it..it might sound a bit too bright for some ppl..but for me not so bad..paired it with a velodyne cht8

LOL...

could it be me?

anyway, i went down to adelphi today again...

checked out KEF... price too steep for me...

checked out PSB... don't really like the sound after listening to KEF... :P ... but it's quite cheap.. i think ard $900 for the 5.1 HT1 set

checked out BW MT25 at E77... don't really like satellite...

checked out their 685... sounds gd... but price laggi "better"...

went back to KEC, and listened to the QA 1000 series (with floorstanders)... was told that Onkyo 608 is out of stock... they suggested that i pair it with Denon 1911 instead, since it's quite on par with 608...

they suggested pairing it with a velodyne cht8 too...

tempted... hmmm...

Edited by csingeu

Sorry what do u mean?

The q acoustics site do not mention a 1013i only a 1010i or a 1030i. Reviews I have come across when looking only mention the 1010i or the 1030i as well. Have not seen any info on a model 1013i.

Saying that, companies sometimes release models for specific markets and give them new names / model numbers and so they are hard to find info on..

RB

Hmm, the Crestas look good. The 90db sensitivity is just right. But floorstanding... in the bedroom.... Any bookshelf suggestions? :/

-Ely

Sorry, they were not specific recommendation for you particularly, just a quick not on what I found when out and about.

Having just got new cabinet for the movies and cds I find that it is already more or less full :(. To this end I think I will be selling some of my DVDs. S$5/movie (all original local or region 2 - UK). Around 180 to choose from.

Let me know if anyone is interested and I will send a list (when I put it together).

May just make enough to pay for the new center and / or sub :D .

RB

Edited by RimBlock

I am also selling my blurays, all imported from US. Watched once and in mint condition. Let me know if interested.

I am also selling my blurays, all imported from US. Watched once and in mint condition. Let me know if interested.

What shows r there?

LOL...

could it be me?

anyway, i went down to adelphi today again...

checked out KEF... price too steep for me...

checked out PSB... don't really like the sound after listening to KEF... :P ... but it's quite cheap.. i think ard $900 for the 5.1 HT1 set

checked out BW MT25 at E77... don't really like satellite...

checked out their 685... sounds gd... but price laggi "better"...

went back to KEC, and listened to the QA 1000 series (with floorstanders)... was told that Onkyo 608 is out of stock... they suggested that i pair it with Denon 1911 instead, since it's quite on par with 608...

they suggested pairing it with a velodyne cht8 too...

tempted... hmmm...

There were 2 guys auditioning,and they tested their new bough disc from ndv..is it u?I paired it with 708..

What shows r there?

Apocalypse Now (Three-Disc Full Disclosure Edition) (Apocalypse Now / Apocalypse Now Redux / Hearts of Darkness)

The Bourne Trilogy (The Bourne Identity | The Bourne Supremacy | The Bourne Ultimatum)

Funny Games

Toy Story 3 (Four-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy)

Oldboy

Ice Age Dawn of the dinosaurs

Let Me In

The Blind Side

The Bounty Hunter

Extraordinary Measures

Invictus

Edge of Darkness

WWII in HD

Hatchet II

The Fourth Kind

The Lives of Others

Brooklyn's Finest

Friday the 13th, Part 3 3D

I Spit on Your Grave

Hatchet (Unrated Director's Cut)

Salt (Deluxe Unrated Edition)

Dark Blue (+ Widescreen DVD)

A Perfect Getaway (Unrated Director's Cut)

The Expendables (Three-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy)

The A-Team (+ Digital Copy)

The tailor of Panama

From Paris with Love

The Box

The Town (Extended Cut)

Red (Movie-Only Edition)

Pan's Labyrinth

Walking Tall (+ Widescreen DVD)

Pride and Glory (+ Digital Copy)

The Stepfather

In Bruges

Into The Blue

The Book of Eli

Law Abiding Citizen

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre

A Prophet

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Arn: The Knight Templar

See No Evil

Spy Game

Deliverance

Trick 'r Treat

Stir of Echoes

The Pink Panther

Legion

Unforgiven

Striking Distance

HOW PEOPLE CAN STILL FALL FOR THE ''WHAT HIFI?'' CRAP IS THE LAST THING I CAN UNDERSTAND.................

or could it be true about what they say about ''a sucker is born everyday'' ?

Think I'm gonna do some audition soon.. Flooring already settled for Supreme...

Same as us.

Took the speaker grills off my EM 93s to find the drivers collected quite a bit of dust. Within two minutes of the grills off my youngest started putting his fingers in the drivers. Well that was stopped sharpish and I gave them a delicate cleaning. I have also now bi-amped them with the Yamaha 667 and liked it so much I was up until 3am listening to music last night.

I also took the 18.dfs side speakers apart and cleaned the front (the clothes glued in place so had to remove the drivers and crossovers). The faces have more or less gone and they have come up more or less like new. Pretty happy but a fair bit of work.

So on the subject of music, what do people listen to when auditioning (10 best) ?

Here is mine in no specific order. I could of course think of more than 10 but gotta stop somewhere.

1. Bjork - Venus as a Boy (Debut)

2. Massive Attack - Teardrop (Theme tune from House MD tv series).

3. Aerosmith - Janies got a Gun (Pump)

4. Tracy Chapman - Fast Car (Tracy Chapman)

5. Don Henley - Boys of Summer (Actual Miles)

6. Donald Fagon - The New Frontier (The Nightfly)

7. Lady Gaga - Telephone (Fame Monster)

8. Prodigy - Mindfields (Fat of the Land)

9. Robert Miles - Children (Single)

10 Portishead - Roads (Numb)

I also have a Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs Master recording of Stings - Nothing Like the Sun.

Whilst decent HiFi really brings some recordings to life it also shows up cds that are not so good.

RB

Edited by RimBlock