Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fengwei

Recommendation For A Decent Sound System.

Hi RB,

thank you very much for the information.

Hi Farkingnuts,

Sorry for that. Guess I trusted Wikipedia too much....lol

no problems lah...................but now a lot of brands very very jialat laio compared to the past...................

in the late 90's Quad had a brilliant bookshelf speaker model 10L.......................the new 11L or 12L or whatever sounds like CRAP compared to the 10L...............

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi,

Work out your budget, what you would like it for (music / movies / both) and where it is to be placed (living room / bedroom).

With these details we can try to suggest some items you may wish to test out in the path to finding what you want to buy :) .

Blindly going after one brand may cause you to miss other equally prices setups which may give better results.

RB

Hunting mode now.

Budget: $3-4k

Venue: Bedroom (Entertainment Room)

Type of entertainment: Movies 80% Music 20%

Edited by Drexter

Sorry hentamkings & Drexter but I have to run now as I am seeing Sucker Punch tonight with my oldest son :D.

Have a browse through the thread as others have spent around the same amounts (last 4 or so pages should do) so that will give some guide.

Will try to post over the weekend if I get a chance.

Regards

RB

Sorry hentamkings & Drexter but I have to run now as I am seeing Sucker Punch tonight with my oldest son :D.

Have a browse through the thread as others have spent around the same amounts (last 4 or so pages should do) so that will give some guide.

Will try to post over the weekend if I get a chance.

Regards

RB

great to see the deaf leading the deaf........................LOL

Just went to KEC to look at a few system, can anyone tell me wat sys is good? Saw the Boston acoustics speaker n amp at $1350. Is it good? Or wat package should I get? The pro cinema 600 also looks good. My budget ard 2.5k. Pls help tnks.

Just went to KEC to look at a few system, can anyone tell me wat sys is good? Saw the Boston acoustics speaker n amp at $1350. Is it good? Or wat package should I get? The pro cinema 600 also looks good. My budget ard 2.5k. Pls help tnks.

at 2.5k...................not much to choose from lah..............see PSB got anything at your price boh lor..............

how about Tannoy ?

great to see the deaf leading the deaf........................LOL

So said the person who claims the leading industry experts are wrong and he is right, spouts nonsense, by their own admission believes in voodo special equipment tweeks that have no basis in science.

I speak from experience and knowledge provided by industry leading experts citing evidence to my positions with all I say.

You speak from your head.

Hmm, not much more to be said really.

Really a green pen affecting a digital bitstream to make the high end sound better. Fabulous.

As you stated here

same thing for the green marker on CDs..................the treble will normally be more delicate and less glaring.

Taken from Snopes (the hoax identification website)

As former Stereo Review and High Fidelity editor David Ranada pointed out, however, light travels so quickly that it would be reflected back to the laser from the edge of the disc while the laser was still reading the same digital bit and therefore could not produce a distorted reading. Ranada confirmed his assertion by connecting a digital error counter to a CD player to compare data errors produced during playback of both colored and uncolored discs. He found no difference between the two types of discs at any portion of their surfaces -- inner rim, outer rim, or middle.

Deaf by your your definition, and we all know how dodgy they are by your postings here, but at least I am not stupid enough to fall for that.

RB

at 2.5k...................not much to choose from lah..............see PSB got anything at your price boh lor..............

how about Tannoy ?

Plenty of choice, take a look back over the last 4-5 pages of recommendations others have had made to them and their thoughts after listening to them.

FKN is in a world of his own and will steer people to his anti-British views and HiFi vooddoo tweaks without being able to provide any from of evidence.

Check the suggestion back in the thread and listen fro yourself. Buy what you like and not what internet hifi experts tell you that you must like.

RB

Plenty of choice, take a look back over the last 4-5 pages of recommendations others have had made to them and their thoughts after listening to them.

FKN is in a world of his own and will steer people to his anti-British views and HiFi vooddoo tweaks without being able to provide any from of evidence.

Check the suggestion back in the thread and listen fro yourself. Buy what you like and not what internet hifi experts tell you that you must like.

RB

ok tnks bro will take note.

plenty of choice there is.....................but at that price range...............not much difference in sound quality lor............

if you spend a lot of money then the difference can be huge becoz some company will sell crap at high prices..........

plenty of choice there is.....................but at that price range...............not much difference in sound quality lor............

if you spend a lot of money then the difference can be huge becoz some company will sell crap at high prices..........

No argument there. There are subtle differences as exhibited by people testing the Yammy 667/Onkyo 608 and the Denon (forget the model).

I understand your point about good low end companies not being the best at he high end as good high end companies generally concentrate on that end of the market and not the broad spectrum of the whole market. I do not agree that companies should be disregarded solely on the nationality of the owners or place of manufacture. The equipment should be purchased based on listening and which equipment give the sound the listener may like. Some may prefer the sound you like... others may prefer what I like... others still may prefer something else.

As I have tried to emphasize, choose a few setups and try them. Buy what you (the buyer) likes best regardless of name or what others tell you.

Simple really.

RB

RB

I am in complete agreement with RB here. FKN simply uses too many "..........."s in his sentences to even sound credible, that is, if you get over the "............."s to actually read his "advice" that is purely based on really strange anti-Brit sentiments and weird self-contrived logic, just expressed with so much conviction (or insistence and repetition - common tools for propoganda) that people actually WANT to heed it.

From a very amateur's point of view, all I can say is 1) stick to your budget 2) listen to the different systems according to this budget 3) buy whatever you like best. Let KEC set up different systems according to your budget, and your preferences - give feedback like "this is not crisp enough", "too bass heavy for me", and they can better cater to your personal preferences. If you like further assurance, go home and do a Google search on the certain models you like and read reviews, then your cognitive dissonance will be satisfied, and you'd feel better informed when making your purchase decision.

To a certain extent, I'd agree that popularity is based on advertising/endorsements, for example pet food like Science Diet, Eukanuba etc, but unlike FKN, I'm able to provide solid proof when I reveal the list of ingredients in comparison with other brands. Why pay for by-products and corn just because they're sold at vets when you can pay for real meat and no-grains? It's all about more bang for your buck. People just assume Science Diet MUST be a good food because they sponsor the Crufts Dog Show and sold at vets. So, do your own research, and really, really, just pick what you love listening to most.

-Ely

Just went to Adelphi for audition. Will post the specs and price soon. Hope to hear feedbacks from all. Thanks.

First Set: Marantz 5005 + Morel Music Theatre 1

Second Set: Definitive Techo Pro 800 Speaker System + Onkyo TX-NR 708

Third Set: Cambridge Audio Minx M325 Package + Onkyo TX-NR 708

Hope to hear some comments/feedbacks for the above set-up which is within my budget. I'm more of a 80% movie person, this set-up is for my HTS room. Thanks.

First Set: Marantz 5005 + Morel Music Theatre 1

Second Set: Definitive Techo Pro 800 Speaker System + Onkyo TX-NR 708

Third Set: Cambridge Audio Minx M325 Package + Onkyo TX-NR 708

Hope to hear some comments/feedbacks for the above set-up which is within my budget. I'm more of a 80% movie person, this set-up is for my HTS room. Thanks.

which shop u went? and wats the price for each set?