Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fengwei

Recommendation For A Decent Sound System.

Ok I got my first piece of my new set up yesterday - Oppo 83SE (2nd hand).

Now I got to figure out the rest of the system. Might be auditioning some 2nd hand power amps soon (cos I figured I need to lighten the load of the AVR, whichever one I'm getting).

Its fun putting the pieces together slowly :P

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hey RB,

Either you or I don't understand what the various components in the chain do, so let's chill and drop it, shall we?

Maybe one fine day, if you have the time, let's go for a cuppa and enjoy good music together since we're both into hi-fi. :yamseng:

Thank you for yr piece,

Cheers,

Edited by BlueFly

Ok I got my first piece of my new set up yesterday - Oppo 83SE (2nd hand).

Now I got to figure out the rest of the system. Might be auditioning some 2nd hand power amps soon (cos I figured I need to lighten the load of the AVR, whichever one I'm getting).

Its fun putting the pieces together slowly :P

Yes, I absolutely agree. The anticipation, the tweeking, the try-out.. your statement brought back the memories when I was putting my set together.

Nice!

Hey RB,

Either you or I don't understand what the various components in the chain do, so let's chill and drop it, shall we?

I think we can both agree that PC music has come a long way and is vastly better than before. Playing music through a PC with reasonable PC speakers can now be a much more rewarding experience.

Maybe one fine day, if you have the time, let's go for a cuppa and enjoy good music together since we're both into hi-fi. :yamseng:

Sure, that would be good. If you are around the Citihall / Suntec area during the week or Tampines around the weekend let me know and we can set something up.

RB

Aiya... Till now i still dunno what to get!!!

You have some suggestions on what to go and try, so go and try. Then choose the one you like best.

Go have a listen then decide. Cannot decide the roll a dice or flip a coin :P.

RB

You have some suggestions on what to go and try, so go and try. Then choose the one you like best.

RB

LOLx... ok....

RB

Drexter, if you need to add more choices (and confusion) to the mix, I'll lend you my D20 dice :P

-Ely

Drexter, if you need to add more choices (and confusion) to the mix, I'll lend you my D20 dice :P

-Ely

LOLx... I'm busy rushing for school assignments now which is due this Sat. After that, I'm going to storm Adelphi!!!

-Ely

Ahh but is it a sharp edged gem d20 or just one of the boring ones.

Although I sold off all my Advanced Dungeons and Dragons books prior to coming to Singapore, I kept the dice in the wooden box with metal inlay. They are safe awaiting the next adventure. I sometimes think I can hear them rattling with impatience at night ready to get in to the fight.

Maybe my sons will take them for adventure next time but with computer games very much taking over I sadly doubt it :(.

RB

Ahh but is it a sharp edged gem d20 or just one of the boring ones.

Although I sold off all my Advanced Dungeons and Dragons books prior to coming to Singapore, I kept the dice in the wooden box with metal inlay. They are safe awaiting the next adventure. I sometimes think I can hear them rattling with impatience at night ready to get in to the fight.

Maybe my sons will take them for adventure next time but with computer games very much taking over I sadly doubt it :(.

RB

Ah, brings back fond memories of my school days many eons ago...

So during my info gathering I have come across some information others may find interesting.

This is one of those times.

What do frequency response, sensitivity and power handling have to do with volume and clarity.

Frequency Response:

This is the range of frequencies a speaker can manage without distortion. The lower the number, the more bass, the higher the number the more treble. Human hearing is usually rated between 20Hz - 20kHz. This does not mean a speaker can only reach these ranges but that these ranges can be met without distortion.

Sensitivity:

This is a measurement in decibels (dB) specifying the volume (or sound pressure level SPL) of the speaker when it is fed 1Watt of power whilst listening from 1 meter away. It is in essence the efficiency of the speaker based on its ability to convert energy (Watts) to sound (dBs).

Here are some levels so you can get a feel for how loud different dB levels are.

50 dB refrigerator

50 - 75 dB washing machine

50 - 75 dB air conditioner

50 - 80 dB electric shaver

55 - 70 dB dishwasher

60 - 85 dB vacuum cleaner

60 - 95 dB hair dryer

65 - 80 dB alarm clock

75 - 85 dB flush toilet

80 dB ringing telephone

90 - 115 dB subway

95 - 110 dB motorcycle

110 dB baby crying

110 dB symphony concert

110 dB car horn

110 -120 dB rock concert

112 dB CD player on high

117 dB football game (stadium)

120 dB ambulance siren

130 dB jackhammer, power drill

130 dB percussion section at symphony

140 dB airplane taking off

150 dB firecracker

157 dB balloon pop

162 dB fireworks (at 3 feet)

Ok, but we are unlikely to be sitting just 1 meter away from the speakers.

How loud can our speakers get if we are sitting in our living room.

I will work through an example using my own speakers and distance to give an idea.

My speakers

Sensitivity: 89dB

RMS: 100Watts (recommended power requirement).

I sit 4 meters away from my speakers.

First strange thing about sound volume is that doubling the speakers (i.e. using 2 speakers rather than 1) does not double the possible volume. What is does is add about 3dB as both speakers are using the same force to push the same air to create the sound. Think of it this way. If you are pushing a box with one hand and then you add your other hand but do not increase the pressure you use, you are then pushing the box with the same pressure but over a larger area.

So.

89dB + 3dB for 2 speakers

92dB volume using 1 watt at 1 meter.

Next rule...

Distance doubled = -6dB

1 meter -> 2 meters = -6dB

2 meters -> 4 meters = -6dB

total -12dB from 92dB = 80dB using 1 watt at 4 meters.

Next rule...

The relationship between the noise level and the power applied is logarithmic. This means it is not a straight +5W=+5dB.

Basic rules;

double power = +3dB

10xPower = +10dB

So the speakers have a handling of 100W. How high can we go ?

80dB using 1W -> 90dB using 10W (x10 = +10dB)

90dB using 10W -> 100dB using 100W ((x10 = +10dB)

So that is my limit without over driving my speakers.

But.... my amp is only 90W/channel.

Oh dear so we go back

90dB using 10W -> 93dB using 20W (x2 = +3dB) -> 96dB using 40W -> 99db using 80W

So, around 100W :D.

If I wanted to go to 110W then I would need speakers capable of handling 1000W of power and the amplifiers able to supply them.

+/-3dB is widely considered the smallest step in order to hear a volume difference and +/-10dB is considered a doubling/halving of volume.

There is a chart here (pdf) is you wish to work it out without having to do the step by step maths.

RB

Edited by RimBlock

Chim sia...

Not so hard.

Double distance = -6dB

Double watts = +3dB

10x Watts = +10dB

2 speakers (stereo) = +3dB

You start with

Your speakers sensitivity (dB)

1 meter

1 Watt

Go up to your speakers or amps max capacity and your listening distance.

Compare on list above as to roughly how loud you can go with what you have / look to get.

:P.

RB

Edited by RimBlock

Hi all,

I would like u guys to comment on Monitor audio Rx 6, LCR and RXw 12 as sub for HTS choice. I am happy with the center especially. Just wondering if I should get a book shelf of a higher series and replace Rxw12 to something else. I am willing to spend 4 k or a little more for the set up without the amp as i already own one.

I 've checked with the agent for SVS and they currently do not have stock for SVS bp12+(which would be a bit over my budget)

I have no idea what other sub to get as much of those mentioned in the other forum do not have a local agent.

I am totally new to this and my untrained ears could not help much while i am at the shop.

your reply and comment is greatly appreciated.