Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fengwei

Recommendation For A Decent Sound System.

Went Adelphi again today.

Tested the following combi.

1. Heco Victa 500, SUNFIRE Dual Driver Powered Subwoofer - SDS-10 and marantz sr7005 - The feel is quite good, but of cos this set more expensive.

2. KEF lowest range which cost about 3.8k (Only 5.1 without receiver) - Find that it's quite good for audio but not movies, maybe the sub not powerful enough.... I think when I mentioned my budget, he was quite shock... :D

3. Q Acoustics 1030, Velodyne CHT10-Q - Felt that the subwoofer is exploding.... Overall experience quite ok. (Wonder if too strong for my room. But heard that if I feel the base too strong, I can adjust to my liking)

4. Pioneer S-EU8 (Dun really like it, no impact)

As Onkyo 609 is not here yet, cant test with this receiver.

So I ask this shop, when can I test with 609? The guy smile and replied "no need to test with the receiver, as they are almost the same. Only features are different." Is that true? Or he take me as noob? I tried Marantz at his shop. Not even a 608.

Edited by Drexter

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Anyone using B&W cm5? is it a good setup got movies compared to the Def Tech pro 1000?

B&W waaaaaay overpriced as usual....................and nothing great.................

Def Tech look good........................that's it.

Anyone using B&W cm5? is it a good setup got movies compared to the Def Tech pro 1000?

Bit confused here.

The B&W CM5s are around US$1.5k per pair. The DTP 1000 5.1 set is US$1.6k (approx). The DTP 1000 surely would be better matched to the B&W M1 set. What about the Klipsch set mentioned here.

B&W CM5:

Reviewers Choice award SoundStage (US based HiFi site)

Recommended systems from Audio Etc. Interesting that the DTP 1000 fronts are recommended in the US$2k 5.1 system and the B&Ws are recommended in the US$8.5k and the US$12.5k systems.

DTP 1000:

A little on the AVS forums here.

B&W M1 set:

Review

FKN has a very outgoing anti British streak he loves to demonstrate here and clearly believe is, as he put it, HiFi voodoo. I would be careful with the advice he presents and do your own research / listening.

RB

Edited by RimBlock

Went Adelphi again today.

Tested the following combi.

1. Heco Victa 500, SUNFIRE Dual Driver Powered Subwoofer - SDS-10 and marantz sr7005 - The feel is quite good, but of cos this set more expensive.

2. KEF lowest range which cost about 3.8k (Only 5.1 without receiver) - Find that it's quite good for audio but not movies, maybe the sub not powerful enough.... I think when I mentioned my budget, he was quite shock... :D

3. Q Acoustics 1030, Velodyne CHT10-Q - Felt that the subwoofer is exploding.... Overall experience quite ok. (Wonder if too strong for my room. But heard that if I feel the base too strong, I can adjust to my liking)

4. Pioneer S-EU8 (Dun really like it, no impact)

As Onkyo 609 is not here yet, cant test with this receiver.

So I ask this shop, when can I test with 609? The guy smile and replied "no need to test with the receiver, as they are almost the same. Only features are different." Is that true? Or he take me as noob? I tried Marantz at his shop. Not even a 608.

Is Q Acoustics good? The 1030 is a discontinued model, should I get it?

Is Q Acoustics good? The 1030 is a discontinued model, should I get it?

Haha...

Discontinued can give bargain prices and still have warranty. You have to make a decision at some time or you will just keep looking and never buy or enjoy. I would suggest you set yourself a deadline. Remember, we can only suggest and those suggestions may not be the best for you. Make your own decision based on suggestions and reviews but most of all by listening yourself.

If you can get for a good price then no reason why not. They have good reviews for entry level setup.

Also on the topic of subs which you and Marc are discussing over on Xtremeplace, I would suggest you really listen in a like sized room first as you may find larger subs to be a fit overpowering. Some like having their internal organs vibrating madly and the windows threatening to fall out of the building but some do not. Sometimes big bass cane become a bit oppressive when listening for long periods like 3D movies can make your eyes tired..

RB

Haha...

Discontinued can give bargain prices and still have warranty. You have to make a decision at some time or you will just keep looking and never buy or enjoy. I would suggest you set yourself a deadline. Remember, we can only suggest and those suggestions may not be the best for you. Make your own decision based on suggestions and reviews but most of all by listening yourself.

If you can get for a good price then no reason why not. They have good reviews for entry level setup.

Also on the topic of subs which you and Marc are discussing over on Xtremeplace, I would suggest you really listen in a like sized room first as you may find larger subs to be a fit overpowering. Some like having their internal organs vibrating madly and the windows threatening to fall out of the building but some do not. Sometimes big bass cane become a bit oppressive when listening for long periods like 3D movies can make your eyes tired..

RB

Haha... My deadline can be somewhere end May. Still waiting to get keys for new house and deciding on my ID.

I have another alternative for Q Acoustics which is the 1050, another $200 more. Good reviews too?

If I get larger subs and find it overpowered, I can always tune to lower base, am I right? IMO, larger subs give me the options to have stronger base whenever I want. Dunno if this logic is right? :)

Haha... My deadline can be somewhere end May. Still waiting to get keys for new house and deciding on my ID.

I have another alternative for Q Acoustics which is the 1050, another $200 more. Good reviews too?

If I get larger subs and find it overpowered, I can always tune to lower base, am I right? IMO, larger subs give me the options to have stronger base whenever I want. Dunno if this logic is right? :)

The whole 1000 series is well liked for an entry level system.

Tuning a sub is matching it with the other speakers you have so it can take the job of the low frequencies your other speakers cannot deal with efficiently.

The only way to then deal with bass is to turn the volume down on the sub but this can cause it to be under powered and so not work as well as it should. For example, most speakers come alive when powered to a reasonable level. More detail becomes apparent for example, more richness to the sound stage. Elements hidden in the blur at lower levels start to show themselves. Under running a sub is likely to offer a weak result compared to running a smaller sub at a better volume. Again, best to try and see in a like sized demo room with the doors closed. Just points to consider.

Saying that I have seen someone with a 2K 5ft tall SVS sub in a 3x2mtr room so it really depends on taste :P .

RB

The whole 1000 series is well liked for an entry level system.

Tuning a sub is matching it with the other speakers you have so it can take the job of the low frequencies your other speakers cannot deal with efficiently.

The only way to then deal with bass is to turn the volume down on the sub but this can cause it to be under powered and so not work as well as it should. For example, most speakers come alive when powered to a reasonable level. More detail becomes apparent for example, more richness to the sound stage. Elements hidden in the blur at lower levels start to show themselves. Under running a sub is likely to offer a weak result compared to running a smaller sub at a better volume. Again, best to try and see in a like sized demo room with the doors closed. Just points to consider.

Saying that I have seen someone with a 2K 5ft tall SVS sub in a 3x2mtr room so it really depends on taste :P .

RB

Cool... But sometimes it is not possible to demo in a 3m x 2m room

Cool... But sometimes it is not possible to demo in a 3m x 2m room

Ask about a free return / trial period. Try it out at home and return it for exchange with a different model (refund / top up as required) if not happy. See if anyone willing to ?. Common practice in the UK (with conditions).

Checkout the post on sub calibration I have just posted here. Put it outside of this thread as more people will probably benefit.

RB

Bit confused here.

The B&W CM5s are around US$1.5k per pair. The DTP 1000 5.1 set is US$1.6k (approx). The DTP 1000 surely would be better matched to the B&W M1 set. What about the Klipsch set mentioned here.

B&W CM5:

Reviewers Choice award SoundStage (US based HiFi site)

Recommended systems from Audio Etc. Interesting that the DTP 1000 fronts are recommended in the US$2k 5.1 system and the B&Ws are recommended in the US$8.5k and the US$12.5k systems.

DTP 1000:

A little on the AVS forums here.

B&W M1 set:

Review

FKN has a very outgoing any British streak he loves to demonstrate here and clearly believe is, as he put it, HiFi voodoo. I would be careful with the advice he presents and do your own research / listening.

RB

tnks bro for ur help it seems i have to audit a few more before i buy. read alot on the forum n realize tat a good set of speakers can last a long time and better enjoyment also so might spend abit more to get a good setup. RB can intro a few brand of speakers tat good so i can go audit tnks

tnks bro for ur help it seems i have to audit a few more before i buy. read alot on the forum n realize tat a good set of speakers can last a long time and better enjoyment also so might spend abit more to get a good setup. RB can intro a few brand of speakers tat good so i can go audit tnks

Most of the main brands be they British, American, Canadian or from anywhere else should be fine. They got that way by producing good products that sell well as people like them.

I would choose an amp that has the specs you want first.

Handles the HD audio formats

Has enough HDMI inputs

Has expandability (pre outs so you can add a power amp later if you desire)

If you need two HDMI outs for a TV and a Projector then you can get a powered splitter cheaply from Amazon so don't pay for this feature in the amp.

I have the Yamaha 667 and am very happy with it. Others have the Denon 1910 and love it as it is more geared to the musical side of things and others like the Onkyo 608 (soon to be the 609). I would look at this as your starting blocks for amps. If you need something more feature wise then look upwards in the model lines. Lower models than this are just fine. I had a 465 for a couple of years and never had any complaints but the 667/608/1910 seems to be the 'sweet spot' as far as the product ranges go.

The speakers then depend on your preference. Do you want floor standers, book shelf, bipolar surrounds or designer looks ?

B&W are always well regarded, Monitor Audio also have a great reputation. There are many other choices and to be honest you are well advised to check with the shops on what they suggest as they have the equipment and have listened to it many time. Now to get the best out of their reply you need to have an idea of what you like. Do you like the pin sharp clarity of the high notes, the deep rumpling bass, one more than the other or both about equal. Being able to tell the guy in the shop what you like is much more likely to get you what you want.

Also be firm. Don't get fobbed off by someone telling you what you do and don't want to listen too. It is your money and if that person will not help you spend it then find someone else who will. Far to many salespersons have, pardon my bluntness, their head up where the sun doesn't shine and believe they are gods gift to audio. Some of them have forgotten that people like different things and so what they think is best may not be the most suitable for the buyer. They are also sales people and have higher margins on one product over another so may try to stear you in one direction.

Look at the 3k setups here and then build up from there.

Have fun ;)

RB

Wonder if I should get a receiver first. And now somebody is selling the Emotiva UMC-1, dunno if it fits my needs for a HTS.

Monitor Audio.......................sigh.......they were good in the early 90's......................nothing great now..............

B&W........................biggest advertisers among speakers...................sure good reviews one.................

Monitor Audio.......................sigh.......they were good in the early 90's......................nothing great now..............

B&W........................biggest advertisers among speakers...................sure good reviews one.................

You are entitled to your views although as you have gathered I tend not to agree with them.

Monitor Audio BX and BR series are well worth a listen along with other brands.

B&W are arguably the largest producer of speakers internationally. Of course they advertise religiously to maintain that position. To do otherwise is just plain dumb. Are you truly suggesting that the quality of a product is defined by the amount of advertising space they take and that a company that advertises a lot can only produce very bad quality products ?. Surely not ?...

RB