Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fengwei

Recommendation For A Decent Sound System.

Hi, i went to adelphi yesterday to chk out a 5.1 HTS for my 4 rm hdb. 1st iwent to kef and the uncle there let me test 2 set of speckers with i dun know what amp (told me they dun sell amp) was impress with the sound of KHT3005SE ($2.4), it sounds clear and crisp to me. Movie shown was tron. And other set i forgot the model but cost abt 3K but i dun quite like the sound as compared to the other. He told me i could pair it with yamaha RX 3667 ($850) coz i use it mainly for movies/TV (HBO, Football) n games abt 75% n 25% music.

Nx i went to AV One, the uncle there let me tested the morel speakers MT-0.5 n MT-1 with marantz 1601 ($2699 n $3399 respectively). I told him my requirements 75% movie, game n TV, 25% music. Anyway it sounds all rite but i still prefer the soung of KEF but i luv the design of morel.Movie played was terminator n the dialogue part seems abit flat, is it the speakers or the amp? Anyway the uncle told me the marantz sounds warm while yamaha sounds more sharp.

Now the question is i have yet to try out the speakers with yamaha amp n onkyo amp, i prefer sounds tat are clear, sharp n crisp. Will KEC have the morel & KEf speakers for me to test with yamaha n onkyo amp? This is my 1st self assemble set (so called self assemble). will the set up last me a few years at least am pairing it with a 46' led 3d tv n ps3

* i went thru all the 22 pages n i find i can't understand most of them, it's really technical.

u need to really test for urself. but do go to KEC to test out the HTS there i believe there r quite alot of brand to try out. if its just for movies and game more u can try out DEF Tech pro cinema series which sound more like what u looking for but try it out,it might be great for me but not good for u. :rolleyes:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Bro, we are in the same boat, I am also looking for hts for my 4rm Hdb, using playstation and 46" 3Dtv(shortlisted Sony), I find morel sats not as good as floorstanders, tats mho.

Hi, i went to adelphi yesterday to chk out a 5.1 HTS for my 4 rm hdb. 1st iwent to kef and the uncle there let me test 2 set of speckers with i dun know what amp (told me they dun sell amp) was impress with the sound of KHT3005SE ($2.4), it sounds clear and crisp to me. Movie shown was tron. And other set i forgot the model but cost abt 3K but i dun quite like the sound as compared to the other. He told me i could pair it with yamaha RX 3667 ($850) coz i use it mainly for movies/TV (HBO, Football) n games abt 75% n 25% music.

Nx i went to AV One, the uncle there let me tested the morel speakers MT-0.5 n MT-1 with marantz 1601 ($2699 n $3399 respectively). I told him my requirements 75% movie, game n TV, 25% music. Anyway it sounds all rite but i still prefer the soung of KEF but i luv the design of morel.Movie played was terminator n the dialogue part seems abit flat, is it the speakers or the amp? Anyway the uncle told me the marantz sounds warm while yamaha sounds more sharp.

Now the question is i have yet to try out the speakers with yamaha amp n onkyo amp, i prefer sounds tat are clear, sharp n crisp. Will KEC have the morel & KEf speakers for me to test with yamaha n onkyo amp? This is my 1st self assemble set (so called self assemble). will the set up last me a few years at least am pairing it with a 46' led 3d tv n ps3

* i went thru all the 22 pages n i find i can't understand most of them, it's really technical.

u need to really test for urself. but do go to KEC to test out the HTS there i believe there r quite alot of brand to try out. if its just for movies and game more u can try out DEF Tech pro cinema series which sound more like what u looking for but try it out,it might be great for me but not good for u. :rolleyes:

Thanks i will go down this two days to chk out KEC, hopefully i can find something i like

Edited by cubeball

Bro, we are in the same boat, I am also looking for hts for my 4rm Hdb, using playstation and 46" 3Dtv(shortlisted Sony), I find morel sats not as good as floorstanders, tats mho.

Hm ... did not get to test floorstanders, coz of limited space plus i kind of like the design of tiny speakers. Think i will head down to KEC to test the amps n also other speakers as well. Just to have a feel of what i like. BTW i'm a sista :P

Finally! HTS set up yesterday... But my spl800 died! Zzz now have to wait for them to come back on thurs to replace a new one. Wondering should I stick to it or change to the svs sub. But they r all so big sized compared to spl800.. Any comments?

Finally! HTS set up yesterday... But my spl800 died! Zzz now have to wait for them to come back on thurs to replace a new one. Wondering should I stick to it or change to the svs sub. But they r all so big sized compared to spl800.. Any comments?

Not all r big size, the SBN12-NSD size is smaller then most sub but still very powerful.

Hm ... did not get to test floorstanders, coz of limited space plus i kind of like the design of tiny speakers. Think i will head down to KEC to test the amps n also other speakers as well. Just to have a feel of what i like. BTW i'm a sista :P

The KEF are very much designer style but with the looks usually comes some compromise in sound. If this compromise is too big for you is for you to decide after testing. Kef are well regarded though.

Take a look at the Def Tec as DemonYi has suggested and also try out the Q Acoustics 2000 series. Both are small speaker packages. There are also the B&W M1s which should be worth a listen.

I am glad you are pushing to test with the different AV Receivers rather than just going on what the shop sales person says. It is your cash and your ears :D.

If you find a reasonable package but have a some $$ left over you could save it or see if you can top-up for a better center speaker and / or subwoofer as both of these have a big impact on a HT multichannel system. For more music someone can look at upgrading the front left and rights instead.

Remember to factor in for speaker stands if needed and speaker cable. Something like Chord Carnival (Classic) is around S$6/7 per mtr and is fine for the front three speakers. S$2/mtr speaker cable is fine for the rear speakers. For interconnects between your HT and DVD/Bluray player or other devices you can get cables cheaply from Amazon (US) or Blue Jeans Cable (US). I have just bought some Audioquest cables from Amazon US for around S$35 + shipping (Borderlinx). Just tell the shop that you have cables already. They are likely to be a bit pushy as the cables are a huge profit maker.

I actually have some audioquest Emerald (need to confirm when home) 1/2 meter and some JVC 2 metre cables which I am happy to sell. Any interested parties can PM me. The Audioquest are too short for my use and the JVC will be replaced by the new Audioquest from Amazon which matches my Sub cable :P:D.

As it stands, what you buy now will last you a few years. The speakers should last you a long time and it will be most likely you wanting to upgrade that means you sell them on. The amplifier should last a while. Although the major brands get refreshed yearly, the differences are not usually that significant unless a new sound format comes out like the change from DVDs DTS to Blurays DTS-HD. There is likely to be a few years until another format comes out.

RB

Not all r big size, the SBN12-NSD size is smaller then most sub but still very powerful.

The SPL800 is a 8" sub.

The SB12 is a 12" sub (1/3 bigger).

Personally I would class it as fairly big especially when compared to the HTS subs at the low end. It is small compared to the PC cylinder subs or the bigger SVS models though. The top of the range ported box they have in KEC is massive. I could make a mini-sub out of it for both my kids :D.

The Velodyne 8" was pretty small. I saw it when demoing my SVS subs and didn't bother with it as 8" would be hard pressed to fill my living area

For me at least;

8" < = small

10" > = medium

15" > = large

Insane:

If you are more in to music then the Velodyne is reputedly better. SVS have a better reputation for movies. The SB12-NSD is great, I just bought one. If you have the chance and the money and watch more movies than listen to music then take the chance and listen so the SVS and velodyne side by side and then decide.

Both are good choices.

RB

The SPL800 is a 8" sub.

Personally I would class it as fairly big especially when compared to the HTS subs at the low end. It is small compared to the PC cylinder subs or the bigger SVS models though. The top of the range ported box they have in KEC is massive. I could make a mini-sub out of it for both my kids :D.

The Velodyne 8" was pretty small. I saw it when demoing my SVS subs and didn't bother with it as 8" would be hard pressed to fill my living area

For me at least;

8" < = small

10" > = medium

15" > = large

Insane:

If you are more in to music then the Velodyne is reputedly better. SVS have a better reputation for movies. The SB12-NSD is great, I just bought one. If you have the chance and the money and watch more movies than listen to music then take the chance and listen so the SVS and velodyne side by side and then decide.

Both are good choices.

RB

bro if he wanna compare 12" to 12" the SVS SB12-nsd is consider size smaller then other other brands./ i also saw the PB13-nsd its **** huge lol. someone in Xtremeplace selling if dun mind size can faster grab. even the PC12-nsd also up for sell there hurry!!

The SPL800 is a 8" sub.

For me at least;

8" < = small

10" > = medium

15" > = large

Insane:

Both are good choices.

RB

More towards HT than music. SB12 is almost twice the size of spl800! That's a BIG box in my living rm, can even use it as a stool. Lol!

Don think my Mrs will like the svs, doesn have WAF like spl800. Let's c how it goes tomorrow. KEC will b bringing the svs down as well to let me try it out, jux in case if I wanna switch.

bro if he wanna compare 12" to 12" the SVS SB12-nsd is consider size smaller then other other brands./ i also saw the PB13-nsd its **** huge lol. someone in Xtremeplace selling if dun mind size can faster grab. even the PC12-nsd also up for sell there hurry!!

Nah, can't get a 2nd hand one. I aready bought the sub juz tat it didnt work yesterday during installation, thats y they coming down again tomorrow to change the sub..

More towards HT than music. SB12 is almost twice the size of spl800! That's a BIG box in my living rm, can even use it as a stool. Lol!

Don think my Mrs will like the svs, doesn have WAF like spl800. Let's c how it goes tomorrow. KEC will b bringing the svs down as well to let me try it out, jux in case if I wanna switch.

lol try to get ur wife to approve 1st before go down to know how read my previous post not how i got my WAF on the PC12-plus. :sport-smiley-004:

Err I have the SB12 so I know the size.

No I was comparing the size in the great scheme of living room placement, not comparing brands. It is a rough rule of thumb which I personally use. Others have different views but my SB12 is fairly large compared to other AV stuff and takes a fair bit of space. An 8" could most probably be tucked away more our of sight unless someone put an 8" sub in a Cylinder. That is why it is just a rough guide.

PB13-nsd would have been tempting depending on price. No cash left now though :D .

RB

If you can place near your front door then she can use it as a seat for putting her shoes on and if you play the right music at the same time she can get a massage too :). Two sure ways to increase the WAF :good:.

RB