Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fengwei

Recommendation For A Decent Sound System.

Any comments for the following layout? I have to integrate my HTS room with a study.

5668374773_51669fdee9_z.jpg

Yeah, Don't get too big and powerful speakers.

I saw a fantastic setup in about the same sized area as your room. Very expensive top of the range speakers everywhere. It sounded impressive but I personally go the sense of too much in such a small area. There was no room for the sound to travel. The sound was just there with no journey and getting louder travelling to you. For me it would have sounded better in a room twice the size.

Sure, get a decent set-up but don't go overboard. I would be tempted to go for the B&W M1s or something like it and a great sub, maybe even a large center speaker as well. Remember the rear speakers are meant to be behind you and not above you so moving the sofa away from the wall a little can help as well. Soft furnishings (wallpaper, carpet/rugs, thick curtains) can also help prevent reflections in odd shaped rooms.

Why the false wall with a big gap behind it (tv mounted on it) ?

Having the desk on the side seems like a good idea. A curtain between the desk and the study area / door may work well :D. Just pull it back when not watching movies etc.

Oh and if you get an amp with 2 zones / ab speaker outs then you could get a set of decent floorstanders for music and just switch between them and the small speakers when watching a movie. Remember the majority of movie noise comes through the center then overall support by the sub, then the fronts, then the surrounds.

RB

Edited by RimBlock

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I think I may have found the perfect centre speaker for me....

http://www.focalprofessional.com/en/sm6-line/twin6-be.php

Drivers are exactly the same size as my floorstanders, plus built-in amps matched to the drivers.

However, supposed to be for near field listening use.

Very interesting. Still trying to read up on the feasibility of this though.

Nice, my fronts and center have the same size woofers as well.

Err, how much for this :deal:. Big money I would suspect with two bash amps plus the speakers with XLR connects in the 'Pro' series of studio monitors :D. Each of those things probably adds 1k to the price :P:D .

RB

Nice, my fronts and center have the same size woofers as well.

Err, how much for this :deal:. Big money I would suspect with two bash amps plus the speakers with XLR connects in the 'Pro' series of studio monitors :D. Each of those things probably adds 1k to the price :P:D .

RB

It's about S$2.1k. Can also consider a single bookshelf (active) for $1.5k. Only difference is that only 1 tweeter and woofer in the bookshelf. The 'original' matching centre for my fronts (passive) costs close to $3k I think.

Pretty ex, but very intriguing... maybe if I get an extra bonus sometime soon... haha

It's about S$2.1k. Can also consider a single bookshelf (active) for $1.5k. Only difference is that only 1 tweeter and woofer in the bookshelf. The 'original' matching centre for my fronts (passive) costs close to $3k I think.

Pretty ex, but very intriguing... maybe if I get an extra bonus sometime soon... haha

I had a bit of a scroll back but didn't see you mentioning what speakers you got in the end. The pre-forums upgrade quote boxes are also all broken now as well which makes older posts harder to read.

RB

I had a bit of a scroll back but didn't see you mentioning what speakers you got in the end. The pre-forums upgrade quote boxes are also all broken now as well which makes older posts harder to read.

RB

I've gotten a pair of focal electra 1027be, used =)

Shame as it is very good and takes a pretty small footprint for the sound it produces.

Again I think these things are pretty subjective. My sub sounds great to me. The PB13-plus with the 100W amp sounded better... at a cost of over twice the price. Was it twice as good.... not to me but I sure it will be to some.

Yeah, it is that itchy feeling waiting for the new big buys. Not wanting the itchy feeling was partly why I got the SB12... I could walk out of the shop with it straight away :D. The 609 should be very nice and did the 709 really offer that much better sound or functions to justify the cost to you. The big difference to me of the 667 and the 767 was the 767 had two HDMI outs (one for the TV and one for the projector). I got the 667 and finally found a HDMI splitter for 1/4 the difference in price between the 667 and 767. The Wharfedales should not disappoint.

The Evo would be a nice step up from the Diamond 10 series and someone was selling one for S$350 on XP. What center did you get, the CC or CS or even the CM ?. I heard my sub with the Def Tech floorstanders and long center and was not really too impressed. I think it was partly due to the speakers I have at home spoiling me a bit and the fact they were probability not setup correctly.

Think you need to bring your wife to a movie night at mine first and then you can try to convince her to get a projector ;). Worked for csingeu :D.

You are welcome to come round too for a listen and watch and maybe we can pop to yours when you get your stuff. Same is true for others by appointment. No charge apart from drinks and popcorn :D. Let me know if you are interested.

RB

Yeah I know what you mean when you say is it worth the price though it sounds better. Thats why my wife and I choose to not to audition the expensive units. I got the 10CM. Listening in KEC last week, the specs for polarity matches better with the 10.6s as compared to the 10CC. Sound wise it is louder and less muffled. The replica of the voices were accurate. But again, the ushers that I auditioned, I felt personally they were definitely clearer(cinema like quality) and better. My wife has compromised on many things with my indulgences.She has been very patient and great wife to me, this is no sacrifice at all.:)

No I think I will not venture to projectors. I can't even afford a pair of decent working pants at all. I now go to work in shorts and singlets. ><

Does Asahi, pop corn and chips sound good? Let me know what your kids like too.

Yeah I know what you mean when you say is it worth the price though it sounds better. Thats why my wife and I choose to not to audition the expensive units. I got the 10CM. Listening in KEC last week, the specs for polarity matches better with the 10.6s as compared to the 10CC. Sound wise it is louder and less muffled. The replica of the voices were accurate. But again, the ushers that I auditioned, I felt personally they were definitely clearer(cinema like quality) and better. My wife has compromised on many things with my indulgences.She has been very patient and great wife to me, this is no sacrifice at all.:)

No I think I will not venture to projectors. I can't even afford a pair of decent working pants at all. I now go to work in shorts and singlets. ><

Hey, hey - your wife happens to be the geek and would love a projector :P Just think it's something I would forgo for now, in place of a nice wall water feature for the balcony k. I appreciate great equipment especially when I have music on constantly, and trust me darling, there was no compromise. Was more than happy to have that crazy sub and I love the look of floor-standing speakers! <3

- Ely

Delivery should take a wee or just a bit more. Should be under two weeks but you need to use something like vPost or Borderlinx.

It really depends on what you are buying and how you will be arranging it as to what cables you need. Without knowing the equipment and layout there is no way of knowing what you should get.

I would advise getting your equipment first and using nay old cheap cables. Once it is setup, live with the cheap cables whilst you order new ones to replace them. You will also appreciate the difference when they arrive if you notice it.

You could possibly get a cable from the amp to the tv (HDMI - Amazon basics) but the length depends on how far from the TV the amp will be. You could also get another from the Bluray player to the amp if you are having one.

Past that I cannot advise what to get without knowing what you are buying / have.

RB

I'm getting mine from eBay for about $8 a piece :P Savings on the Audioquest cables goes to the 609 upgrade :)

- Ely

Hi Guys,

Need some advice here. I am planning to get an entry 5.1 system for my new place. Problem is, it's kinda a last minute decision. My place is undergoing renovation now. The false ceilings are already up but not painted. Neither are my lights installed. So here's the question. How do i install my rear/surround speakers? Am intending to have them either ceiling or wall mounted. I do not want to see wires or trunking running around so putting them on stands don't seem to be ideal. Any suggestions guys?

Will really appreciate your kind suggestions. I'm open to listen to any suggestion you guys have to offer.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Guys,

Need some advice here. I am planning to get an entry 5.1 system for my new place. Problem is, it's kinda a last minute decision. My place is undergoing renovation now. The false ceilings are already up but not painted. Neither are my lights installed. So here's the question. How do i install my rear/surround speakers? Am intending to have them either ceiling or wall mounted. I do not want to see wires or trunking running around so putting them on stands don't seem to be ideal. Any suggestions guys?

Will really appreciate your kind suggestions. I'm open to listen to any suggestion you guys have to offer.

Thanks in advance!

xtremeplace.com has got a set of used B&W MT 20s for $1000 negotiable. It is from Audio Iconic. You can go audition them there. The price seems too good to be true. That is if you have not got a system yet. These are satellites. So in tems of clashing with your existing design, it will be minimal.

With false ceilings, there are no issues running your cables in them. Plus false ceilings are easiest for retification works. Ceiling speakers or wall mounted is really up to your personal choice. Mounting them will not make much of a difference.

Edited by EmptyDivided

xtremeplace.com has got a set of used B&W MT 20s for $1000 negotiable. It is from Audio Iconic. You can go audition them there. The price seems too good to be true. That is if you have not got a system yet. These are satellites. So in tems of clashing with your existing design, it will be minimal.

With false ceilings, there are no issues running your cables in them. Plus false ceilings are easiest for retification works. Ceiling speakers or wall mounted is really up to your personal choice. Mounting them will not make much of a difference.

Hi,

Thanks for the recommendation. Will go take a look at it. Do you have a direct link to the used set?

Anyway,my electrician is not too well versed in HTS. Do you know of any installer who can set up and run the wires for me along the false ceiling? I'm thinking of running the wires asap before my contractor proceeds with painting my false ceiling.

Thanks again!

Hi,

Thanks for the recommendation. Will go take a look at it. Do you have a direct link to the used set?

Anyway,my electrician is not too well versed in HTS. Do you know of any installer who can set up and run the wires for me along the false ceiling? I'm thinking of running the wires asap before my contractor proceeds with painting my false ceiling.

Thanks again!

I ran the wires myself and any reasonable electrician should be able to run them through your false ceiling. Nothing special, just run the cables from the place where you will have your home cinema amp to your speaker positions. Have a look at the Dolby website for an idea of where your speakers should go.

Wall mounted speakers will be better unless you spend silly amounts. Bipolar (firing in two directions) should be better for surround sound effects. An example would be the Wharfedale 10.dfs (other brands make them as well).

RB

Haha, ok so some things now become a bit clearer ;). Now I can understand better the response from the other thread :D. Oh and so you are the reason I still have some extra dvds on the shelf ;):D.

How about we PM and set a day :D.

RB