Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fengwei

Recommendation For A Decent Sound System.

Same as us.

Took the speaker grills off my EM 93s to find the drivers collected quite a bit of dust. Within two minutes of the grills off my youngest started putting his fingers in the drivers. Well that was stopped sharpish and I gave them a delicate cleaning. I have also now bi-amped them with the Yamaha 667 and liked it so much I was up until 3am listening to music last night.

I also took the 18.dfs side speakers apart and cleaned the front (the clothes glued in place so had to remove the drivers and crossovers). The faces have more or less gone and they have come up more or less like new. Pretty happy but a fair bit of work.

So on the subject of music, what do people listen to when auditioning (10 best) ?

Here is mine in no specific order. I could of course think of more than 10 but gotta stop somewhere.

1. Bjork - Venus as a Boy (Debut)

2. Massive Attack - Teardrop (Theme tune from House MD tv series).

3. Aerosmith - Janies got a Gun (Pump)

4. Tracy Chapman - Fast Car (Tracy Chapman)

5. Don Henley - Boys of Summer (Actual Miles)

6. Donald Fagon - The New Frontier (The Nightfly)

7. Lady Gaga - Telephone (Fame Monster)

8. Prodigy - Mindfields (Fat of the Land)

9. Robert Miles - Children (Single)

10 Portishead - Roads (Numb)

I also have a Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs Master recording of Stings - Nothing Like the Sun.

Whilst decent HiFi rally brings some recordings to life it also shows up cds that are not so good.

RB

Bro, me 80% movies. Remember? Hehe

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
HOW PEOPLE CAN STILL FALL FOR THE ''WHAT HIFI?'' CRAP IS THE LAST THING I CAN UNDERSTAND.................

Judging by your postings here, that must be a long list of things you cannot understand.

or could it be true about what they say about ''a sucker is born everyday'' ?

Just as there is a troll.

Just you keep trollin-rollin-rollin on. Your rants are quite entertaining and have certainly given you a reputation which you have just reinforced with your last post.

RB

Bro, me 80% movies. Remember? Hehe

Yeah which is why I said "what do people" rather than what do you use ;)

Ok so what are others and yours top ten movies for auditions (movie, format, scene - brief desc)

Go for it

RB

Yeah which is why I said "what do people" rather than what do you use ;)

Ok so what are others and yours top ten movies for auditions (movie, format, scene - brief desc)

Go for it

RB

Do I need to bring my own blurays there or they will have something to show me? :P The package that ely or someone posted was quite tempting....

Do I need to bring my own blurays there or they will have something to show me? :P The package that ely or someone posted was quite tempting....

U can bring ur own else most likely they will show you transformer 2 for movies n live unplug of Eagles stringing Hotel California for music. That's my experience after going empty handed for auditioning in Adelphi.

Best bet is to take your own as you will be familiar with the movie. They will have material available as Martin mentioned if you don't but it could be anything.

RB

Same as us.

Took the speaker grills off my EM 93s to find the drivers collected quite a bit of dust. Within two minutes of the grills off my youngest started putting his fingers in the drivers. Well that was stopped sharpish and I gave them a delicate cleaning. I have also now bi-amped them with the Yamaha 667 and liked it so much I was up until 3am listening to music last night.

Bro, may I know what you are using as source for music? Also what speakers are you using? Sorry if I missed this in your earlier posts.

Is your set up for music like this:

Source --> Yamaha 667 --> L/R Speakers (bi-amped)

Did you add power amps to your set up?

Reason is because I'm thinking of doing the same, and wondering about the quality of stereo music using the Yamaha 667 bi-amped. Thanks!

Bro, may I know what you are using as source for music? Also what speakers are you using? Sorry if I missed this in your earlier posts.

Is your set up for music like this:

Source --> Yamaha 667 --> L/R Speakers (bi-amped)

Did you add power amps to your set up?

Reason is because I'm thinking of doing the same, and wondering about the quality of stereo music using the Yamaha 667 bi-amped. Thanks!

I am playing my music tracks like this;

Flac lossless music file ripped from CD on NAS -> Cat5e network -> WD HD Live TV -> HDMI -> Yammy 667 -> Chord Carnival speaker cable -> Wharfedale Emerald 93s.

The amp is set to 5.1+Bi-Amp in the configuration and the rear outputs act as a second set of front outputs. I make sure all 4 speaker cable runs for the front L/R speakers are the same length, remove the bridging pieces between the connections on the back of the speakers and connect them up. Left out goes to left speaker 1, left back goes to left speaker 2 etc (which out to which speaker in doesn't matter as long as both left outs go to the left speaker).

Sit back and listen preferable after making sure the amp is in stereo mode and not surround.

It is worth noting that the Warfedale EM 93s were part of the top of the line for Wharfedale in 1993 and retailed for US$1k. Some specs and info here with user reviews here. Whafedale product catalogue here. They also like a bit of power so bi-amping really helps.

RB

Hanging an external power amp off it for better quality and power if you want too. This may be a good option for music, just need to find a good match.

RB

Edited by RimBlock

Hanging an external power amp off it for better quality and power if you want too. This may be a good option for music, just need to find a good match.

RB

Thanks! Good to know that the 667 will bi-amp in stereo mode. Didn't realise that speaker cables need to be of the same length :P

Think this will be my preferred plan. Was also thinking if more power is needed, I can get one of those emotiva power amps :D

Thanks! Good to know that the 667 will bi-amp in stereo mode. Didn't realise that speaker cables need to be of the same length :P

Think this will be my preferred plan. Was also thinking if more power is needed, I can get one of those emotiva power amps :D

Same length to ensure you do not get phase issues. Sound still takes time to travel ;).

I have read very good results pairing with a Yamaha A1. The frustrating thing is that it can be had in the UK for the equiv of S$250 second hand. Hate to think what it would cost to ship one to Singapore (S$336 via Borderlinx inc tax).

Anyone know of anyone selling ;)

RB

Edited by RimBlock

Same length to ensure you do not get phase issues. Sound still takes time to travel ;).

I have read very good results pairing with a Yamaha A1. The frustrating thing is that it can be had in the UK for the equiv of S$250 second hand. Hate to think what it would cost to ship one to Singapore (S$336 via Borderlinx inc tax).

Anyone know of anyone selling ;)

RB

Seems like the second hand mkt in Singapore isn't too great compared to overseas. Would love to get some nice equipment on the cheap since I do not need to be on the bleeding edge of technology.

Seems like the second hand mkt in Singapore isn't too great compared to overseas. Would love to get some nice equipment on the cheap since I do not need to be on the bleeding edge of technology.

I am even considering the idea of paying for some space in a container if there are enough people who were interested. Buy on EBay UK, bundle all the purchases up and ship them over by boat. Should be a lot cheaper but just have to wait for a little bit.

If there is any interest from anyone in doing this (can be for shipping over anything I guess not just audio equipment) then let me know. Need to work things out but would be good to know the interest level.

RB

Sorry, they were not specific recommendation for you particularly, just a quick not on what I found when out and about.

Having just got new cabinet for the movies and cds I find that it is already more or less full :(. To this end I think I will be selling some of my DVDs. S$5/movie (all original local or region 2 - UK). Around 180 to choose from.

Let me know if anyone is interested and I will send a list (when I put it together).

May just make enough to pay for the new center and / or sub :D .

RB

Do send me the list once you're done compiling all 180.... - You can PM me on this board, or at elyria@singnet.com :)

-Ely

Do send me the list once you're done compiling all 180.... - You can PM me on this board, or at elyria@singnet.com :)

-Ely

Sent the 3/4 done list to you via email (Excel spreadsheet). Still a bit more to add but something for you to take a look at for now.

Anyone else wants it then let me know

Oh, please note, my DVDs are a mix of UK / Singapore / and a few from other places. If you do not have a multi-region player then I will confirm the region code before we deal.

RB

Edited by RimBlock