Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
nosypoker

Help In Decision Making - Id

Hi. Has anyone engaged the service of ID before? How do you find it, as in the quality vs the price? Im not sure of the rates but from what I heard, the price is quite high, about 3-5k. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm looking at a 4room HDB flat by the way. If anyone has past experience with 4 rooms or 5 rooms HDB using ID, pls enlighten.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi. Has anyone engaged the service of ID before? How do you find it, as in the quality vs the price? Im not sure of the rates but from what I heard, the price is quite high, about 3-5k. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm looking at a 4room HDB flat by the way. If anyone has past experience with 4 rooms or 5 rooms HDB using ID, pls enlighten.

basically just get someone whom you are comfortable with.

from my experience they are like financial advisers, it's not the product they are selling to you but rather understanding what are you specific requirements and to advise you according.

cheers

when i was doing my home reno, i checked out 6-8 ID companies. from the 6-8 consultations, i learned 1 thing: i didn't really like any of the id companies, cause their ideas were pretty much the same (they didn't really listen to what i'd said, they just pushed their ideas on to me).

in the end, my husband and i resorted to home decor magazines to get ideas. and we hired a contractor (no id company) to execute what we wanted. we're very happy with the outcome.

i'm not saying that all id companies are bad, but i feel that you need to do your own research/homework first. and home decor magazines are very helpful. from there, once you have a clearer idea of what (theme) you want, you can then engage an id company or contractor, depending on your preference.

my two cents' worth.

Hi nosypoker, i have a close friend who is a freelance interior designer. By profession, he does hotels and resorts. If you want, i can help you find out his rates. PM me if you are interested!

when i was doing my home reno, i checked out 6-8 ID companies. from the 6-8 consultations, i learned 1 thing: i didn't really like any of the id companies, cause their ideas were pretty much the same (they didn't really listen to what i'd said, they just pushed their ideas on to me).

in the end, my husband and i resorted to home decor magazines to get ideas. and we hired a contractor (no id company) to execute what we wanted. we're very happy with the outcome.

my two cents' worth.

I am encountering that as well! Most ID juz push me their packages even after I've told them my budget and roughly what I want! What's more, those who served me are NOT even ID but sales executives and what not! Grrrrrrr :(

I am encountering that as well! Most ID juz push me their packages even after I've told them my budget and roughly what I want! What's more, those who served me are NOT even ID but sales executives and what not! Grrrrrrr :(

Well that's ID.. After going through what you have gone thru i seek out a contractor and told him my budget, he advice me what's more important and i stick to my budget and get my reno done with the amount of cash i have, no need loan hehe :P

sorry...but my experience wif IDs is quite different frm those who hv posted here.

most of u seem to hv had bad experiences wif IDs. i didn't. in fact, my plc is being renovated now by an ID. I spoke to abt 4 IDs and 4 contractors. 5 of them came back to me. among the other 3, 1 didn't come back at all, while the other 2 took too long to come back to me.

go take a look at my posts on my experiences with the various IDs and if u still hv qtns, PM me.

and let me stress one thing. engaging an ID does not necessarily mean more expensive reno compared to contractor. in my case, all the contractors who responded quoted me at least 5k higher than 2 IDs. and their proposed layout was worse than those 2 IDs. totally un-impressive at all. no originality, no imagination. as good as taking a standard template and adjusting it to my floorplan. and contractors will not give u styling input, or design any solutions for any problems encountered. for eg. in terms of detailing, contractors won't bother. but a real ID will not allow u to just anyhow do it. cos its his reputation on the line. he wants to make sure it is at least advertorial material. something tt u can show off to ur friends.

and when u mix and match colours, and ask a contractor if ok or not, most will just tell u, "if u like it and u happy wif it, i do lor". but try doing tt to a designer, and he'll tell u the pros and cons of mixing this wif that, but still leave the final decision to u. of cos, thr are some designers who will insist tt certain things cannot be done even if u want it. tt doesn't mean they're forcing it upon u. it just means tt he's sticking to his design principles. 1 of the IDs i met was like tt. wat i wanted would not change the price at all. it was just a change of laminate colour.

anyway, for me, i'm neither for nor against ID or contractor. wat's important to me is their proposal and expertise. if they can propose something creative yet use-able, form co-existing wif function, reasonable pricing, and creative ideas to solve problems, i dun care whether they're ID or contractor, i'll still give them the job.

From the renoblogs that i read, it appears that most owners engage ID for their new house and are reasonably satisfied with their service. I guess a lot of research has to be done on the service quality before one decides on which ID to engage. That said, there might still be mishap or miscommunication along the way.

I'm also trying to design my own 3-room now, intend to go straight to a contractor for quote. but as manutd1972 mentioned, the contractor are basically builders who follow orders, and most counter-propose any design related intention unless it is not workable by their standard. Good contractors have good workmanship and have the ingenuity to work around construction problems to achieve the design intention. However i am looking for one with a good sense of aesthetics and can advise us on design issues.

Webbit and Christopher, does ur contractor provide counter suggestions or do they just work according to ur brief? And how much design do u have to complete before u pass the drawings to ur contractor?

manutd1972, do u have to do any work before u engage an ID? what information do we have to provide for them to quote?

thanks

Origami,

nope, i didn't have to do any work at all before i engaged my ID. u're referring to work as in designing, space planning and layout rite?

when u approach a true ID (not those contractor who after years of experience, know how to draw simple designs type), u dun hv to provide much to them. the best way to test an ID's abilities is to give him only the things tt u wan to achieve in ur home, and a budget to work within.

i knw a lot of us, a lot of times, want to do this, do that etc etc....and when we approach an ID or a contractor, we start to tell them we wanna do this, wanna do that. By doing this, we end up putting the ID in a box that a contractor usually uses. den no point engaging an ID.

i just told the IDs i wanted (1) space creation, (2) airyness, the feeling of lightness, like floating space, (3) natural brightness, and (4) not too many built-up furnishings or features that will cause the home to have a "heavy" feel, or give occupants a feeling of being "hemmed in". And i also let them know tt i'm comfortable wif hacking of walls etc. If there's sth tt u absolutely dun wan or cannot accept, u must tell them during ur first mtg.

as for the budget, work out a figure in ur mind, subtract abt 3-5k frm tt sum, and den give tt new figure to the ID as his budget to work with. den wait for them to come back to u wif a proposal.

once they came back to u, review their proposal, ask all questions u hv, like "why did u do this", "why r u proposing this", "wat is the purpose of this" etc etc. And compare their proposals wif those designs that u see in ID magazines. compare them wif pictures of homes done by typical contractors. frm there, u can gauge the abilities of the various IDs.

den narrow dwn to a capable one, but it shld also be someone u're comfortable talking wif (u'll be able to tell after chatting wif them at the 1st mtg n 2nd mtg when reviewing their proposals), and try and find reviews of their firms. the rest of pointers to find the right ID is the same as finding the right contractor.

Hi nosypoker,

I believe when you engaged the ID, the price is already factored into the total cost. I'm also in the midst of shortlisting 2 IDs.

Appreciate if fellow forummers can provide their comments on the following quotes:

The following 2 IDs gave me good pricing and design. Just would like to hear from all which ID has a better quote in your opinion. My unit is a new 5room HDB flat with floor area 115sqm.

ID1

Carpentry Works

Living area

01) To construct full height partition TV feature wall come with paint finishing

02) To design and build within L 8ft suspended TV console using laminate finishing as per design

03) To construct full height open niche display using partition board and paint finishing

04) To design and build within L 7.5ft settee come with PVC cushion and and drawer using laminate

finishing as per design

05) To design and build within L 6ft full height shoe cabinet come with black mirror sliding door as per design

Plumbing Works [Exclude Sanitary ware ]

01) Labour to install 2 bathroom sink

02) Labour to install kitchen sink

03) To extend inlet & outlet pipe for kitchen sink

Ceiling Works

01) To supply and install false ceiling **** hall

02) To supply and install false ceiling at study room

03) To supply and install false ceiling at master room

Electrical Works

01) Light point

02) light fitting [ lighting by owner ]

Painting Works

01) Paint whole unit wall and ceiling. [ ICI / Nippon ]

02) Paint whole unit water pipe.

03) Paint whole all doors and frame

04) Paint main Gate

Wall Paper

01) To supply and lay heavy duty imported wall paper at master room , bedroom 2 and 3 bed area one side

wall only as per design [ within L 13ft ] [ subject to stock ]

Kitchen Works

01) To supply and install WITHIN L25Ft Bottom Designer kitchen cabinet completed with:

a) Laminate finishing

b) Solid door with ABS trimming

c) Silent motion sliding track for 3 drawer

d) Cutlery tray

e) Labour Install cooker Hood and Hob

02) To supply and install within L12.5ft solid surface top

TOTAL: $35,000

ID2

Demolition & Masonry Works

01. Hack off existing wall at between Dining & kitchen

02. Hack off existing small position floor tiles at kitchen

03. Supply materials & labour to touch up damages after hacking

04. To supply materials & labour to lay Polish Homogeneous tiles ( ≤$ 3.00 TO $3.50/ sqft ) with

skirting ****, Dining, Walkway, Master Room, Room 2 & Room 3 floor.

05. To supply materials & labour to lay Polish Homogeneous tiles ( ≤$ 3.00 TO $3.50/ sqft ) with

skirting at Household shelter floor.

06. To supply materials & labour to construct H50mm cabinet base, side with tiles finish only.

07. To supply materials & labour to construct H50mm fridge base with tiles finish.

08. To supply materials & labour to construct H50mm washing machine base with tiles finish.

09. To supply materials & labour to construct 02 nos H50mm shower kerb at Master Bathroom

& Common Bathroom

Plumbing Works

01. To supply materials & labour to extend existing copper pipe to new sink

02. To supply materials & labour to install concealed drainage pipe for new sink

03. To supply labour to install 02 nos toilet bowl spray gun at Master Bathroom &

Common Bathroom.

04. To supply labour to install 01 nos storage heater at Bathroom

05. To supply labour to install Kitchen sink & tap after carpentry work.

06. To supply labour to install Bathrooms' accessories.

Aluminium / Wrought Iron Works

01. Supply materials & labour to install N.A colour aluminium sliding window in Normal glass finish

at service yard ( L 2800mm x Ht 1500mm )( 2way track )

02. Supply materials & labour to install N.A colour aluminium window grilles ****, Dining,

3 bedrooms, kitchen & service yard ( Ht 3ft )

Ceiling / Plasterboard / Partition Works

01. Supply materials & labour to install light pelmet holder **** & Dining

02. Supply materials & labour to install plasterboard false ceiling ****, Dining & bedroom

passage way

03. Supply materials & labour to install curtain pelmet holder **** & Dining

04. Supply materials & labour to install plasterboard false wall at between Living & Study area

( L 3400mm x Ht 1980mm )

Mirror & Glass Works

01. To supply materials & labour to install Clear Mirror at Dining Area ( L 2050mm x Ht 1670mm )

02. To supply materials & labour to install CLEAR Mirror at Master Bathroom

03. Supply materials & labour to install 10mm tempered frameless glass shower screen at

Master Bathroom

04. Supply materials & labour to install 10mm tempered frameless glass shower screen at

Common Bathroom

05. Supply materials & labour to install 10mm tempered frameless glass swing door c/w

handles & hinges at kitchen entrance ( L 900mm x Ht 2100mm )

06. Supply materials & labour to install FIXED panel 10mm tempered frameless glass at

kitchen entrance

07. Supply materials & labour to install 10mm FIXED panel tempered frameless glass

at between Living & Study area ( L 3400mm x Ht 460mm )

Door / Timber / Laminate Works

01. To supply materials & labour to install 5 nos panels swing veneer doors, inclusive of

Lever lockset & magnetic door catch at Master Room, Room 2, Room 3, Master Bsthroom

& Common Bathroom( ELEGANT SERIES )

Miscellaneous

01. To supply materials & labour to paint whole house ceiling & wall using ICI emulsion paint.

02. To supply materials & labour to paint whole house gate, door, door frame, pipe & etc

using ICI gloss paint.

Budgetary Carpentry Quotation ( Prices are subjected to change at final design & material stage )

Living/ Dining

01. Design, fabricate & install shoe cabinet in laminate & white PVC carcass finish at Foyer Area.

Size: L 1200mm x Ht 2400mm

02. Design, fabricate & install Folding door in laminate & heavy duty top hung track finish at

New Study room

Size : L 3800mm x Ht 2400mm

03. Design, fabricate & install suspended TV console in laminate finish **** Area.

Size: L 1500mm

04. Design, fabricate & install 2 nos Tall unit cabinet in laminate finish **** Area.

Size: L 300mm each x Ht 2100mm

05. Design, fabricate & install Dining table in laminate finish at Dining Area.

Size: L 2000mm x W 800mm x Ht 760mm

06. Design, fabricate & install Low Bench cum storage in laminate & white PVC carcass finish at

Dining Area.

Size: L 1800mm x Ht 450mm

Master Bedroom

01. Design, fabricate & install "King" size bedframe c/w storage in laminate & white PVC carcass

finish.

02. Design, fabricate & install sliding door built-in-wardrobe in laminate, glass or Mirror & white PVC

carcass finish.

Size:L 5800mm X Full Height

Room 2

01. Design, fabricate & install built-in-wardrobe c/w swing door panel in laminate & white PVC

carcass finish.

Size: L 2400mm

Master Bathroom

01. To supply materials & labour to install solid surface for vanity top ( L 1600mm )

02. Design, fabricate & install suspended vanity cabinet in laminate finish.

Size:L 1600mm

03. To supply & install Mirror with light pelmet holder at vanity area

Kitchen

01. Design, fabricate & install TOP unit kitchen cabinet with laminate & white PVC carcass

finish c/w ABS trimmings & cutlery tray.

Size: L 3800mm

02. Design, fabricate & install BOTTOM unit kitchen cabinet with laminate & white PVC carcass

finish c/w ABS trimmings & cutlery tray.

Size: L 3800mm

03. To supply & install Solid-Surface Worktop ( L 12.5ft )

04. Supply & install 1 set of 2 ties stainless steel dish rack

TOTAL: $38,328

Some of the items ID1 has but ID2 doesn't and vice versa.

Hope can get some feedback from all forummers out there. Thanks so much~!

ID1 included electrical works in his quote of $35k?

impossible. i tell u, eventually the total price for ID1 will be closer to $40k after electricals.

at this point in time, he doesn't even knw how many lighting points u'll want, how many switches, any 2-way switches, etc etc, there's no way he can work in a price for the electricals. note ID2 didn't even try to include any electrical works in his scope. cos electricals are mainly between the owner and the electrician. the IDs/contractors just act as coordinators and sometimes middlemen if u engage their electrician. of cos, u knw they'll get a comm if u do that. but sometimes might be more worthwhile to do so.

mayb u wanna clarify wif ID1 if his quote really also includes ALL electrical works (ie. lighting points, installation of lights, switches, doorbell, etc).

nt much comments abt ID2, but i just wonder if he's really an ID or another one of those contractors wif interior design knowledge. cos most IDs i knw, dun like to construct kitchen cabinet base. they prefer to use suspended cabinets to create shadows. if cabinet bases are used, they wld usually be shorter in depth, so that as u stand in the kitchen, it wld seem as if there's no base and the cabinets are suspended.

Edited by manutd1972

ID1 included electrical works in his quote of $35k?

impossible. i tell u, eventually the total price for ID1 will be closer to $40k after electricals.

at this point in time, he doesn't even knw how many lighting points u'll want, how many switches, any 2-way switches, etc etc, there's no way he can work in a price for the electricals. note ID2 didn't even try to include any electrical works in his scope. cos electricals are mainly between the owner and the electrician. the IDs/contractors just act as coordinators and sometimes middlemen if u engage their electrician. of cos, u knw they'll get a comm if u do that. but sometimes might be more worthwhile to do so.

mayb u wanna clarify wif ID1 if his quote really also includes ALL electrical works (ie. lighting points, installation of lights, switches, doorbell, etc).

nt much comments abt ID2, but i just wonder if he's really an ID or another one of those contractors wif interior design knowledge. cos most IDs i knw, dun like to construct kitchen cabinet base. they prefer to use suspended cabinets to create shadows. if cabinet bases are used, they wld usually be shorter in depth, so that as u stand in the kitchen, it wld seem as if there's no base and the cabinets are suspended.

Hi manutd1972,

You are indeed very sharp. ID1 really quoted me electricals based on his estimation of lighting points and switches. He explained that if the numbers exceed, he will charge by per point but he think it should be enough. This quote also do not include points relocation like cable TV point, phone line etc. Switches and installation of lights are included. Additionally, I have asked for the following items:

1. To supply and install 05 veener doors with lockset and magnetic stopper

2. To supply and install a set of powder coated slidling windows for the yard

3. To supply and install powder coated window grilles for the 03 bedrooms,study,

living and dining hall,kitchen and yard

Others

To design & fabricate King size bedframe with storage

He mentioned this will cost me 43K which I'm trying to keep it to 40K by reducing some items. The issue I have is that this ID do not have the practice of putting itemised amount. He has his own reasons for that.

For ID2, he is the boss of the ID and your comments on bases is exactly the same as what ID1 told me. Wow...u are really very experienced.

Thanks so much~!

oinkoink

no, not experienced. just sharing frm wat i myself encountered. if it can help a fellow home-owner, den good.

thr r a few good IDs/contractors on this forum tt u might wanna consider.

Hi nosypoker, i have a close friend who is a freelance interior designer. By profession, he does hotels and resorts. If you want, i can help you find out his rates. PM me if you are interested!

Hi Adam, I am currently looking for a free lance ID...can PM me the rates for your friend? Thank you!!

I have met 2 IDs...IdealHouse and Darwin. Both were prompt in giving me quotations but none gave me design principles or design ideas..sad.

Do you have any other IDs who are real designers to recommend? or should I go for freelance designer?