Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
leechaorui

Plant A Tree Within The House

Hi everyone,

I would like to find out whether anyone has tried planting a tree within the house? My place is a 3.5 storey landed house that has a skylight roof. There is a void area from the second floor to the ceiling of the 4th level where it reaches the skylight roof glass. I am comtemplating the idea of planting a tree in a large size flower pot. The height available for the tree to grow is more than 10 metres (my estimate is about 12 metres).

My questions are:

a. Can a tree be planted in an area where there is sunlight but no rain (I could water the tree).

b. What type of tree is suitable? (Prefer those that doesn't drop a lot of leaves and preferably has thin stem.)

c. What are the pros and cons of planting a tree within the house?

d. Would you plant a tree in the house if your place has the height and skylight to bring in the sunlight?

e. Would parquet flooring be able to stand the weight of the flower pot? < I can still opt for the area to place the flower pot be tile up. If tile up, what type of tile will match the parquet flooring around it? The second floor area is actually the side living room on the second floor near the stairs. >

Appreciate your comments and views. :)

Edited by leechaorui

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

a. Can a tree be planted in an area where there is sunlight but no rain (I could water the tree). Absolutely, after some years, the underneat "opening" of leaves got "blocked" can not breath, unless take ladder and clean the leave, one by one, with damp cloth. Use N,P,K solution for watering, every 3-6 month, stop this feeding of "minerals" , use organic fertiliser for abt 1-2 months, repeat the cycle.

b. What type of tree is suitable? (Prefer those that doesn't drop a lot of leaves and preferably has thin stem.)My angmor is too powderful, know the tree, don't know the name. Less leave, long life span. Owner call home by the Lord, but the tree still standing strong type, Cacti is one.

c. What are the pros and cons of planting a tree within the house? Mankind & tree fighting for oxygen at nights, see who can wake up next day. Man feels fresher when got light regardless whether real light or fake light - Remember one thing, tree's bioclock siao if 24hr making food for itself.

d. Would you plant a tree in the house if your place has the height and skylight to bring in the sunlight? SURE, those with little leave, eg, giant cacti, not minatures. I can plant it "on the wall" too with membrance fixed on wall, water drainage is more "headach".

e. Would parquet flooring be able to stand the weight of the flower pot? < I can still opt for the area to place the flower pot be tile up. If tile up, what type of tile will match the parquet flooring around it? The second floor area is actually the side living room on the second floor near the stairs. >Potted plants usually every 3-5 yrs need to be re-potted, depending on root grow & pot size. I think you have no experience abt plant potting. Bigger pot can last longer, but the roots all crist-cross within pot - no good.

Best is landed house, plant it directly onto ground, no drainage & re-potting issues.

Edited by bepgof

Hi Bepgof,

Was reading your reply and found it quite interesting. But for point "e", in long run, wouldn't the roots be too strong, breaking the pots and tiles around the area? or making the parquet flooring pops up? and even if we wanna re-pot it, the trees would be 10m by then. How do we do re-potting? do we need a contractor for it? =)

Hi Bepgof,

Was reading your reply and found it quite interesting. But for point "e", in long run, wouldn't the roots be too strong, breaking the pots and tiles around the area? or making the parquet flooring pops up? and even if we wanna re-pot it, the trees would be 10m by then. How do we do re-potting? do we need a contractor for it? =)

Precisely. Protecting flooring is not a real concern here. Repotting, weight of plant (2nd floor's max withstanding load pressure, 20N/sqm ?), drainage, lighting, cleaning...etc, all these "must in mind" before going ahead, "how to do" is another technical question - I taught both my children to "hand on" many things, so to gain "experience", thus gain confidence. Experience & confidence are always linked together. One with strong confidence & face setbacks will not give up so easily, but carry on till the end.

Many-leaf plants have "big" roots, avoid these.

Edited by bepgof

There are many issues to consider. My opinion is:

1. Tree need at least 3 hrs of direct sunlight a day. A 12m high skylight will only allow say 1 hr of direct sunlight during noon time to hit the bottom of the airwell. Direct sunlight is not the same as sunlight. If the tree is already 10m high, when installed, then at least the crown will be able to get angular sun.

2. A tree looks like a tree because there is a well formed root system. Crown size = root size. A potted tree will end up looking very skinny and unhealthy. And those tree that dun need much sunlight, are also tree that is not very leafy. Therefore, put a tree inside an airwell, will not look like a green tree we normally see outdoors. I yet to see any successful airwell landscaping involving trees. Palm tree got, but those not much greenery.

3. I have a 3 ft wide clay pot. 1 person will struggle to carry it when empty. Cannot imagine having to repot it next time.

I rather stick with indoor plants, commonly sold at Ikea. Need a lot of them to achieve the jungle look.

There are many issues to consider. My opinion is:

1. Tree need at least 3 hrs of direct sunlight a day. A 12m high skylight will only allow say 1 hr of direct sunlight during noon time to hit the bottom of the airwell. Direct sunlight is not the same as sunlight. If the tree is already 10m high, when installed, then at least the crown will be able to get angular sun.

2. A tree looks like a tree because there is a well formed root system. Crown size = root size. A potted tree will end up looking very skinny and unhealthy. And those tree that dun need much sunlight, are also tree that is not very leafy. Therefore, put a tree inside an airwell, will not look like a green tree we normally see outdoors. I yet to see any successful airwell landscaping involving trees. Palm tree got, but those not much greenery.

3. I have a 3 ft wide clay pot. 1 person will struggle to carry it when empty. Cannot imagine having to repot it next time.

I rather stick with indoor plants, commonly sold at Ikea. Need a lot of them to achieve the jungle look.

Thanks to forumers for the reply. I may consider planting a nice palm tree but will prefer a natural looking tree that don't produce too much leaves. The load bearing for the area is more than 1.5 tons because the area is supported by a pillar and a beam. I was told that as long as I don't attempt to build a Wisma Atrium type of big acquarium in that area, the area can easily take the load of three big pots of tree. Hence, there is no problem taking the load of one potted tree. For re-potting, I guess have to seek professional help from gardeners to do it every three to five years as suggested by Begof. Alternatively, I could re-plant the tree in my garden (exterior) and bring in a new tree after 3 to 5 years.

Is there any type of tree that doesn't have a big crown? I am referring to those more petite medium size tree that grow up to 7 to 9 metres. I saw it in one reno magazine in the past where the decor involves putting a big pot with a tree in the living room which extends all the way to the second storey of the house. Looks very unique from the photo. :)

http://www.renotalk.com/main/article010108...v0101082008.php

Does the palm tree in the stairwell look normal?

Hi Yoongf,

The Palm Tree looks a bit constraint as there don't seem to have enough space for the tree. I think it will be better if the space is expanded. Do you think it is a bad idea to introduce a tree in the house?

Edited by leechaorui

Hi Yoongf,

The Palm Tree looks a bit constraint as there don't seem to have enough space for the tree. I think it will be better if the space is expanded. Do you think it is a bad idea to introduce a tree in the house?

In the pix, its not say not enough space for the tree, the tree leaves will follow the size of the root system. Therefore if the pot is 3 ft wide, the leaves will adopt a similar footprint.

I wun say is a bad idea lor. It's just that to put in so much effort, with high expectations, the outcome I have seen so far.. no success stories lor.

Even NParks specify mininum dimension for tree planting is 1m wide X 2m deep. This cannot be a pot liao. And lately, the trend is to use the palm tree, the short one with a wide fan shaped leaf. Recent Singapore Garden Festival were using tons of it.

Anyway, gardening is a personal hobby. As long as ownself contented with the outcome, that is all the matters.

Hi Yoongf,

"palm tree" is a general term , there are many species under this "palm trees". Coconut tree is one of them. Palm trees need strong sunlight to make leaves green. The one in picture, skinny, yellowish leaves, leaves will turn brown, dry and mati soon. Leafy plants consume also "lot of water", 2 days, indoor, without water, leaves tips pointing downward.

If possible, get giant cacti with one or 2 tall stems, surrounded by others cacti in cluster form. Super long life, if you know how to take care, can go for holiday without worrying watering. Low CG, put pebbles.

One of the palm tree - call "Iron tree" in chinese, or "west tiger" nickname, not bad too. Stem quite big..., see whether you can wait till it gives flower. Then President Wee KW had one at home.

Go to T3, or Botani garden one round, will give you some ideas.

Edited by bepgof

"palm tree" is a general term , there are many species under this "palm trees". Coconut tree is one of them. Palm trees need strong sunlight to make leaves green. The one in picture, skinny, yellowish leaves, leaves will turn brown, dry and mati soon. Leafy plants consume also "lot of water", 2 days, indoor, without water, leaves tips pointing downward.

If possible, get giant cacti with one or 2 tall stems, surrounded by others cacti in cluster form. Super long life, if you know how to take care, can go for holiday without worrying watering. Low CG, put pebbles.

One of the palm tree - call "Iron tree" in chinese, or "west tiger" nickname, not bad too. Stem quite big..., see whether you can wait till it gives flower. Then President Wee KW had one at home.

Go to T3, or Botani garden one round, will give you some ideas.

I think what kind of tree/plant for a house also depends on the reno theme of the house... I think palm tree in a Chinese reno theme or a 'luo han song' (Chinese Pine Tree, a big bonsai) in a western reno theme may NOT be 'compatible' lor...

but yes, I personally like house plants...kind of soothing feeling to have some 'greens' in the house...

Edited by chia90